My new knife

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by sobaiguy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    Hallo to everybody!
    Hi, my name is Mauro and I write U from Italy.

Last day, 4 my birthday, my girlfriend gave me, as a present, this (gurka? khukuri?)

The provenience, strange for me, is Made in India...

The dimension is 40cm long, with handle.

Blade only, is 30cm long and 5,5cm high, the thickness is 8mm (very strong!)

Drowings and decorations on the blade are hand-made.

The only things I can tell about this knife is that has a very strong blade, good balance (if U put the finger in the middle of the blade, it stays on) the handle is real bone and not plastic, is among ancient, as U can see, the skin was cover the sheath is damaged by the time..

I've got also the two little knives but the cover of them there's no more... broken may be...

I would like to know what you think about it, and what should be about the value in US$...

Thanks a lot for your help!;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. westfork

westfork

Aug 27, 2003
    Welcome to the forum!
    Nice girlfriend you have buying you something neat like a khukri.
    A lot of blades made in India are made to look very old when they may be modern pieces. That stamped "made in India" on the blade would make me think this is not an ancient piece. I am sure others with more experience can give you more input on what you have there.
    Treasure it as a cool gift from your girlfriend.
    Lloyd

3. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Hello Mauro!

Welcome to the forums! That is quite a beautiful knife you have there. However, I should warn you that the "Made in India" and lion's head buttplate are a dead give away that the knife is for show and not for heavy use. It might hold up to use just fine. However, the heat treat might be next to none causing the edge to dimple and roll.

Don't sweat it too much. It really is a wonderful gift. Back when my wife was my girlfriend, she got me all kinds of wonderful gifts of various quality. It was from the heart, and that is all that matters:)

If you want a real heavy duty khukuri that can be used, abused, and passed down to your children, check out www.Himalayan-Imports.com. Yangdu will be more than happy to hook you up with a great khuk as well as quote you some international shipping prices. She really knows her stuff!!:thumbup:

Also, just a bit of housekeeping. The HI boards are technically for HI related product discussion only. It's no big deal, but you might post general questions like this one in the Cantina section or maybe even in general knife discussion.

Once again, welcome! Stay awhile! We love having new comers:)

Jake

4. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    Thank U westfork!
    Yes, I know, I've a nice girlfriend which make me nice presents!

She find it in a weapon shop but the guy said her that they won't treat ancient knives no more, so, as it was the last one, he sold her for 100€..

Yesterday when I sow my present, I remain really amazing about this object!
    So I promise to all the community that I'll never sell to no one and I'll treat as a treasure!;)

5. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    ... Even if is not a professional knife...
    I don't worry, I like a lot as the same!;)
    Thanks to everybody for your help guys!

6. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    I've found in internet this picture
    [​IMG]
    the handle of my knife is exactly as this kukri.
    Also the head of the lion in the base of the handle..

7. Bri in Chi

Bri in Chi

May 28, 2003
    Sounds like you are a lucky guy. If you hang around here a while, you just might catch HI virus. Should that happen and you acquire a few "must-have" HI khukris, and she questions this - smile at her sweetly, and remind her that her wonderful gift got you interested in your new hobby :=)) Then take her out for a nice dinner to show the sincerity of your explanation.
    Appreciate the opportunity here.

8. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Listen to Brian. He is a wise man...or an enabler...either way:p

Jake

9. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    I'm apologize but I've try to translate in italian the concept about what U wrote, but my english may be is not so good...
    I've understood nothing:(
    Is there someone who can translate this in Italian? (or in other words)

...sorry again...

10. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    I've got to ask sorry to everybody.
    I've just understood now what you wrote here above...
    I've to translate everytime, sometimes with dictionary, but very often is not enough..
    Sometimes I've got many problem to understand..
    :confused:

11. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    Is there someone who is eable to move this thread in "general Knife Discussion"? ...Is possible?...:confused: :confused:

12. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Don't worry about it, Mauro!:D

We enjoy "new guys" on our board! Also, don't worry about your English. I promise you that your English is WAY better than my Italian!:D

The goal of the Himalayan Import forum boards is to have a place where people of all backgrounds can get together to talk about Khukuris, learn from each other, and become friends.

Like I said, the "rules" state that this board is for Himalayan Imports Khukuri discussion only. If you would like to learn more about HI khukuris, please ask us whatever questions that you might like to know:) The guys and gals that post here enjoy sharing their knowledge of Himalayan Import Khukuris

If you are interested in finding out more information about the khukuri knife that your girlfriend gave you, just let me know and I will move the thread over to the "off topic" forum called "the Cantina" where we can talk about whatever we want.:thumbup:

13. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Sorry, I type slow. I didn't see your "please move the thread" comment before I was finished typing.

At Mauro's request, it is moved:) I figure the Cantina is a good place for it since most folks in general discussion might not know much about your khukuri.

So, what else do you want to know, Mauro?

14. namaarie

namaarie

Aug 23, 2004
    BTW, the "virus" to which Bri in Chi referred would be pretty hard to translate. It is not a "virus," literally. We use that to mean, "obsession," or just generally starting to like HI so much that you have to buy more. Call it Himalayan Imports "addiction." It's a good thing, in our view!

And great English, by the way. Glad to see you here, and don't worry about language too much. We sure don't mind.

Chris

15. Drdan

Drdan

Dec 24, 2003
    Sembra che tu sei un uomo fortunato… Se rimane qua per un po’ potresti prendere il virus H.I. (Non è veramente un virus, ma un’afflizione che prendono tutti che piacciono i khukuri come hobby). Se questa dovrebbe succedere, e deve prendere qualche khukuri “indispensabile”, e la tua ragazza lamenta, sorride a lei dolcemente e ricordarla che il suo regalo meraviglioso ha svegliato questo hobby nuovo. Poi portarla fuori per una cena per dimostrare la sincerità della tua spiegazione. Deve apprezzare l’opportunità qua…

Stai provando Mauro, ed è quello che conta! Sei sempre benvenuto qua...

You're trying, Mauro, and that's what counts! You're always welcome here... :)

Dan

16. Steely_Gunz

May 9, 2002
    Thanks, Dan:):thumbup:

17. sobaiguy

sobaiguy

Jul 19, 2007
    WOW!
    Thanks a lot to everybody for your be so good with me, and thanks also to who has been able to move my thread into the right place!

4 Drdan: Cool! Your Italian translation is very good!
    My compliments!
    If I'll have other question about my knives, I'll be proud to ask U help!
    Thanks again to everybody!
    ...But now I have to go working...:barf:
    but without my knife...;)