1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

My own personal hunter...raised clip w/ claro walnut

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by J. Doyle, Nov 14, 2014.

1. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Bladesmith/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 17, 2008
    I have never used one of my own knives on any of the deer, elk, bear, or antelope I've killed over the years. Sad, I know. :) Our firearm deer season opens tomorrow and I told my wife this year, I'm field dressing my deer with one of my own knives.

So I took a couple days and and finished one for myself to use. It's kind of surprising, this knife isn't the steel or the wood that I thought I'd use for my own hunter but I love it just the same. I will use this knife as research and practice.
    I used 1095 for the steel because I wanted to give it a real world test and see how it holds up with my heat treat on it. I chose curly claro walnut for the handle because it is a really nice piece and walnut just seems to be classically associated with hunting (on fine rifles and such). Plus, after the season, I will use this knife to practice some checkering on and I think the bold curly figure will look really cool showing through the checkering. I put some of my .45-70 rounds in the picture because it's my favorite rifle cartridge and I've killed a lot of things with that rifle. The damascus collar looks a lot better in person. I had a hard time getting good photos of that.

Specs:
    Hand forged from 1095 steel, clay quenched and etched dark
    7 7/8" overall, 3 5/8" blade, 3 1/4" actual sharp edge, .195 thick at the ricasso with sharp distal taper
    False edge not sharp
    Heavily rounded spine and ricasso edge
    My own damascus collar
    Curly claro walnut handle with oil finish
    Stainless steel checkered finial (I am NOT going to be making a matching damascus finial :D, It's for my own knife and I really didn't have the extra time and recessed like that, I don't see much point, especially checkered)

All comments, discussion and critique welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SugarSkulls

SugarSkulls

Oct 15, 2014
    That's a handsome knife. I really like the grooved "guard" I guess is the term.

3. i4Marc

i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    C'mon, make the dammy finial! Very nice knife. I never understood why so many great knifemakers don't even use knives made by their own hand.

4. SugarSkulls

SugarSkulls

Oct 15, 2014
    Probably the same reason several mechanics hate working on their own cars, lol.

5. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Very Nice

6. Shelby Mihalevich

Shelby Mihalevich

Dec 28, 2013
    very sleek. i like it a lot.

7. TK Steingass

TK Steingass Knifemaker - Buckeye Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 16, 2010
    Good looking knife John - I like it. It must be a symptom of knifemakers - I've yet to use one of my knives on my harvested game. :confused:

8. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    Nice one!

9. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot

Jun 28, 2012
    Really like it. So many nice little touches and the checkering won't hurt either. Funny that the knife on my belt is 1095 too, considering how much both of us use so much 1075. I just happened to have a partially finished 1095 knife on the bench when I needed it...great steel, btw.

10. MOCraig

MOCraig

Apr 8, 2013
    Love what you did with it. The blade shape looks like it will be a great field dressing knife. The wood choice and blade treatment look fantastic together.

11. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    that hump is so cro-magnon. Unibrow swedge!
    nice knife, and 1095 was a great choice. Pretty damn fine steel in my experience, especially if you don't wanna have to touch up the edge constantly-very stable, long wearing stuff.
    As for the finial material, whatevs. A user like this, that little cavity will fill up with schmutz in no time.

12. Chris Montgomery

Chris Montgomery

Dec 8, 2011
    Very nice knife John. I has everything we have come to expect from your work, that's a good thing. I hope that knife sees lots of use in the field.

Chris

13. Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call

Jan 3, 2013
    That is a very nice looking knife. I like it a lot. My only critique is that thinner stock might be a little nicer for a pure skinning knife. I really like the subtle touches though.

14. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    Hey!......Just like me. ;) :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I managed to take a doe on Saturday, the only deer I saw. The edge seems exactly the same as before I started which is not mind blowing. That's just what I would expect after one deer.

Thanks again guys.

15. bbingenheimer

bbingenheimer

Mar 4, 2010
    John, Nice hunter. Would like to see pics of after it was put to work. :D

Bing

16. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks Bing.

Here's a couple quick pics I just took on my shop bench with knife and sheath. I think my Dad has some pics of it in use while I was dressing the deer. I'll have to check with him. I didn't get too excited about taking pics of it with a doe. :D

A little stained from the blood but other than that, none the worse for wear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2006
    A fine little knife John, enjoy it. :thumbup::thumbup:

18. felizalde55

felizalde55

Dec 17, 2008
    Wonderful knife!

19. J. Doyle

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks again guys.

20. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    John, i'm a big fan of your knives!!
    Since i don't go hunting and have no first hand experience i have a question, do you find the dropped sharp choil tendency to grab on game during dressing? SHould a rounded or more angled one be better in that situation? Thanks

Stefano