1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

My second knife.

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by crowncrazy87, Aug 20, 2015.

1. crowncrazy87

crowncrazy87

Aug 13, 2015
    I am still practicing on grinding bevels but this one turned out much better than my first. My first piece I did the entire bevels with a file, this one I used a belt grinder. Not even close to perfect but getting better. I am still working on this one. Going to try and clean up/straighten up the grinds some and probably going to do something different other than the paracord. I also don't like the fact that with the paracord there is nothing there to stop a hand from slipping onto the blade. But as I like to say its trial and error, and practice/time to get it all just right.

I apologize for the fact the pic is stamped with supermotors.org on it, It's just where I already was able to host pics of cars, etc. and I use it for everything.

[​IMG]

2. Finnbarr Erastos

Finnbarr Erastos

Jun 8, 2015
    Not bad! What kind of grinder are you using? You could probably make a wood handle that had some sort of finger guard, or add a rectangular piece of steel with a hole cut for the tang to go through.

3. crowncrazy87

crowncrazy87

Aug 13, 2015
    Using a HF 1x30. It's slow but does the job.

4. David LaFerney

David LaFerney

Feb 4, 2015
    I don't know that slow isn't good for us beginners. Your grinds look pretty good to me for a second knife. Keep at it.

5. EastCompassoKnivery

EastCompassoKnivery

Feb 26, 2014
    If I had one bit of advise is don't strive for better than the last, strive for perfect. If you fix any little mistake you find your knives will get much better much faster. Pay EXTREME attention to detail and you will be amazed at the quality comparison between knives... just my two cents:) And the knife looks good for your second one, keep up the good work!