1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

My ZT 0562 rattles when closed

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Peakbagger46, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Peakbagger46

Peakbagger46 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    i just got my first ever ZT, a older (G10 S35VN) 0562 but unused when I got it. Also my first frame lock and first flipper that I’ve ever felt inclined to keep.

I love everything about this knife but have a question. With the blade closed it rattles a bit when shaken. If I hold down on the blade and touch the flipper, I can feel and hear “vertical play” for lack of a better term.

Is this a problem or am I just being overly picky?

South paw draw likes this.
  2. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Is it play in the detent?

3. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Detent rock is very difficult if not impossible for us average users to eliminate. To me, this is the toughest problem to deal with. There were some previous threads discussing this issue.

OP - did you buy it from a dealer or a private party? If latter, was the issue revealed to you? Regardless, if you just received and have not used or tweaked it, I suggest you to return it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  4. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    I had the same rattle in a 0350. I sent it in for warranty work, and it was fixed and returned free of charge.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  5. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Hey, the 0562 is a great knife. I’m still trying to understand your problem. You never said there was no rattle with blade out, so I gotta wonder if you just have a loose pivot. Have you tried to tighten it down yet?

6. Peakbagger46

Apr 20, 2017
    It is a great knife. I can’t believe I’ve been a knife guy all these years and never tried a ZT before. What a well made and designed blade.

I did tighten the pivot to the point it’s centered and has ZERO play locked open.

7. Peakbagger46

Apr 20, 2017
    When I first got the knife, I disassembled and lubed it. Everything went back together easily (I was impressed how simple the design is) but is there something I may have done to cause the rattle?

8. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Did you not replace the blade stop pin the flipper makes contact with when closed?

bflying likes this.
  9. Peakbagger46

Apr 20, 2017
    I did. Despite a curious three year old and a knife loving 7yo, I managed to reassemble with no “extra” parts :).

kreole likes this.
  10. 017

Mar 31, 2016
    Probably this. My 0850 rattles a little when closed, and it's the detent. Unless I'm really paying attention and shaking it quite hard, I do not notice it at all.

I also have an 0562, but it's packed away at the moment and I can't remember if it rattles.

11. anteck7

anteck7

Sep 21, 2017
    My 0562cf did this.

Took 2 tries at zt to fix, but they made it right. You aren't going to be able to fix at home.

12. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    The best fix is to let it go. Its a knife. Stop shaking it. What’s you describe has no affect on its function. If it ever does then let ZT address it.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  13. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    The knife shouldn't do that. I'd send it in to ZT and have them fix it.

I don't know about this. Don't wait years. If it bugs the op I say send it in now. You never know when zt will discontinue a knife and run out of spare parts.

115Italian likes this.
  14. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yeah, send it to ZT.

15. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Sound like detent play, but I'd take it apart and put it back together one more time and see if you get lucky.

Peakbagger46 likes this.
  16. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    I was initially going to say its the bearings (I've had knives you could hear the bearings move around if you shook it) but you said if you touch the flipper or blade you can detect movement it's definitely the detent.

17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    It could be a loose stop pin. One of my 0562s had it and the stop pin would rattle side to side in between the handles.

abbazaba likes this.
  18. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    That is a different issue. The torsion bar ran out of grease and started to rattle. The 350 has no closing detent unlike the 0562 which does and seems to be causing the OP's issue.

benchwarmer380 likes this.
  19. Peakbagger46

Apr 20, 2017
    Thanks guys. Sounds like it’s an ascetic only issue. Since this knife is in every other way excellent, I think I’m going to forget about it and be content.

20. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    So what's doing the actual "rattling"?