1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    15836187587751178711414.jpg
    Here's part of the beef... We're a bunch of carnivores here so it's not holding up for long. :p

Aryan29, mqqn, chuck4570 and 11 others like this.
  2. Pinemoon

Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Ok, sign me up, Mr. Mike :thumbsup:
    I'll be totin' my custom spanish-made navaja. Not sure why I stopped carrying it. Probably because it lacks a lanyard hole and would ride sideways in my pocket, something I am not a fan of. This week will give me time to experiment with a couple different carry methods I've been thinking of trying.

[​IMG]IMG_20190524_5614 by Pine Moon, on Flickr

Aryan29, mqqn, Duckdog and 12 others like this.
  3. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I'm retired, so I can devote full time to this project.

4. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Great idea for a GAW, Mike, and I can't resist playing along. I'll also jump on the bandwagon and play for @Modoc ED if that's okay.

A few years ago, @WhittlinAway sent me this kind gift of a Western USA 6504 Whittler. (c.1979) You may notice it looks a lot like my avatar. (way back when I joined BF, I just arbitrarily selected from some images on my computer, thinking I'd change it from time to time, staying with the theme of old print catalog pictures. I got lazy and that never happened. I can't change it now or no one would recognize me ;)) This one was in such fine, new-old-stock shape, I put it aside thinking I'd keep it for a spare in case my old, almost worn-out version broke or something. I'm starting to realize that I have too many knives to wear any one of them out, and they will all outlive me, so I'll take this opportunity to carry and use this nice little knife. Maybe I'll even try a little whittling this week, but no promises. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mqqn, Dschal, Duckdog and 16 others like this.
  5. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Try the safety pin, it's a game-changer. :cool::thumbsup:

chuck4570 and Pinemoon like this.
  6. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    I've been tempted to try that too John, but I'm always worried it'll open and poke me in the leg!

chuck4570, JohnDF and gaj999 like this.
  7. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Good to see you recommending this, John, and I can give a testimonial that it's a marvelous carry method. I learned it from @redsparrow (thanks, James :)). All of the pants I wear often have a safety pin forming a little "pocket sheath" in the left front pocket, and it stays there through the laundry, hanging in the closet, walking 5-6 miles per day.

Mike, I think I've been using the safety pins in my pants pocket for at least 2 years and have only experienced your "nightmare scenario" once! :eek::thumbsdown: To me, it has been well worth it! ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

8. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I've only been using it for about 6 months, but I haven't had one pop open on me yet.
    I use a pretty strong safety pin and pinning it in my pocket is now a daily routine, like putting my wallet in my pocket, it's just habit now.

9. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    @5K Qs you didn't tell us what you were going to be carrying. ;)

chuck4570 and jnaught like this.
  10. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    You went small, and I went big. That's a really nice peanut. I gave one to my wife to replace a knife she had confiscated by TSA. It really is a handy little knife.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Prester John likes this.
  11. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    After a couple years of using a safety pin to form a sheath out of a corner of my RFP I finally had to upgrade to a couple of stitches. I never had a pin open accidentally but one pulled thru the flimsy pocket material. Now I only use a pin temporarily until I can sow the 2-3 stitches it takes to make a permanent sheath out of the pocket's corner.
    I found I can comfortably carry a larger knife when it stays upright rather than when one lays sideways in the pocket.
    Sorry for the derail, just want to make pocket carry as safe and convenient as possible.

mqqn, Duckdog, chuck4570 and 4 others like this.
  12. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    The Bullnose makes a pretty good steak knife...
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, Duckdog, mitch4ging and 11 others like this.
  13. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Great idea for a GAW, Mike! And a great knife choice, too! I love the Case Texas Jack, but I don’t carry mine as often as I should, either.

That said, I have a few other knives in mind for this (plus, I carried my Texas Jack just last week for @Jack Black‘s Random Tuesday thread), so I’ll make a selection by tomorrow and post it here once I’ve decided.

Excellent choice, John! I think the #71 Bull Nose is absolutely the best bang for your buck when it comes to GEC knives, and it’s one of my favorite knives. I have a few that I carry all the time, and a couple “backups” still waiting for some pocket time. :rolleyes: :D

chuck4570 and Crazy Canuck like this.
  14. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't have a picture handy but I think I'm going to start carrying my second hand, modified Schrade third generation congress stockman whittler thing.
    The previous owner sharpened it with what appeared to be concrete at about 70 MPH.
    I cleaned up and sharpened it to be a whittling knife but eventually it was pushed out by something else.

It'll be fun to carry it again.

15. jnaught

jnaught

Mar 13, 2017
    My selection:
    [​IMG]
    I’ve actually never carried it. Bought this for my wife before we were married (everybody should have at least one pocket knife...). She carried it for a bit, but it has just been sitting in my knife drawer for a few years now. Still had the factory edge on it and was still mostly sharp. Took it to the stones anyway this evening and erased the micro-bevels. Looking forward to pocketing it; it’s a beauty:
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, mqqn, Duckdog and 11 others like this.
  16. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Gold Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Great idea for a GAW !!!
    I’m new to the traditional side of the forum here, so not an entry, but still wanting to play.
    Couple here don’t see much carry time
    Western from my younger days
    Imperial BSA Cub Scout
    An a Gerber steel to keep em keen
    image.jpg

Aryan29, mqqn, Duckdog and 11 others like this.
  17. CVamberbonehead

CVamberbonehead Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Alright, I will be carrying my Opinel #8. I like it, and it cuts well but I never use it because I always think itll be too fat in my pocket. So I am going to try it out for a week and see what happens. Good luck everybody.:)

mqqn, chuck4570, Pinemoon and 4 others like this.
  18. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    I'm in.
    I've had this Camillus 69 with fancy liners for a long time, and may never have carried it. Too fancy? Too narrow in the blade? Too much bulk for the blades? I don't know. We'll see how it goes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I have posted before how much I like my Grohmann slimline and yet I have never used it. It just sits above my desk on a shelf. So I will take this opportunity to carry it and give it some well deserved pocket time.
    I bough it in person at their factory in Nova Scotia. I asked if they had seconds so the front person went inside and after a while came out with this one at 50 % off. I still don't know why is a second ( even after the employee showed me some supposed minor flaw). Looks just fine to me. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My two Grohmans on top of a Nova Scotia lighthouse :D
    [​IMG]

20. Pinemoon

Pinemoon

Mar 25, 2005
    Yes... Heard that one here before, John. I believe it was from you.
    The pin method is one such way I'll be trying this week, likely today :thumbsup:
    The other is this modified slip with belt strap.

[​IMG]20200308_090256 by Pine Moon, on Flickr