1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Mystery GAW/Challenge

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Crazy Canuck, Mar 6, 2020.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm waiting on the next run so I can pick up a Natural Micarta. :cool::thumbsup:

:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pinemoon and btb01 like this.
  2. chuck4570

chuck4570 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2010
    After a lot of deliberation I would like to play along. The knife I’ve chosen will be a Buck 532, this is a bigger knife than I usually carry and this one has not seen any pocket time. I’ve always said that I won’t have a knife that I won’t carry so now is the time for this Buck. I usually carry more than 1 knife but I will carry this one exclusively to see if it's for me.
    upload_2020-3-8_11-12-56.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-8_11-13-37.jpeg

3. JonMcD

JonMcD

Jan 1, 2020
    I’m in. I’ll roll with this ‘76 jigged delrin Case 6235 1/2. It’s seen plenty of action but not by my hand. I’ve been steady swapping between GEC 86, 92, 62, and a Boker Barlow. This will be a good chance to see if the lil Case can break into the rotation. Great idea!

[​IMG]

Aryan29, mitch4ging, mqqn and 12 others like this.
  4. TheChunk91

TheChunk91 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2013
    There were dozens and dozens of options but I settled on a case texas jack from the 1960's.

I've had this knife for several years but hardly ever carry it. It's a very nice knife with strong springs. I hardly ever carry a jack knife so this will be something different.

IMG_7349.JPG IMG_7350.JPG

5. Hibou Canne

Hibou Canne Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2016
    hi mike
    im in, ill carry my GEC calf pen for the week. IDK why but i just didnt bond with this knife yet. i have it for a long time so i think its time for some pocket time.
    HAGD
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, mitch4ging, JohnDF and 12 others like this.
  6. K33ncutter

K33ncutter Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 24, 2020
    I’m in. I will carry this SAK Recruit I got as a gift maybe 30 to 35 years ago but I don’t think I have carried it any this century. Sadly, the tweezers are missing.
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, mitch4ging, mqqn and 13 others like this.
  7. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Hope it's OK, I started yesterday. I forgot what a good slicer this blade is...
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, mitch4ging, mqqn and 11 others like this.
  8. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Good morning all! Glad to see more entries this morning, and can't wait to see how everyone's week goes. Last day for entries. Tomorrow morning I'll cut it off and post the list of participants. Not too late to play :)

I've been enjoying the early start myself. This Texas Jack is a neat knife. I am finding myself wishing the main blade was just a smidge longer, but the zulu spear style pen for the secondary is just plain awesome. I usually have a straight edge on me, but the pen is working just fine in that role with the lower tip. Can't say I'm warming up to the square bolsters, but they're surprisingly not uncomfortable, and not too pokey in the pocket. Overall, I think it'll be a fun week.

9. danno50

danno50 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 15, 2008
    I have never carried this Texas jack, but, as an entry, I will dig it out and carry it this week. Thanks Mike.

RIMG1214.JPG

10. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    After some prompting by Mike in the Guardians thread I'm in :D Great idea Mike, sorry for not entering before :rolleyes: I've decided to carry this GEC Farm & Field Bullnose, which was gifted to me, some years ago, by @meako. I like working knives, and have always liked the Sodbuster pattern, particularly as I think it's a good accompaniment to a Lambsfoot ;) I used to take this hiking with me a lot, but it's not been in my pocket for quite a while, so it's due some days out. I added the bead to remind me who generously gifted me the knife :D ;) :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Good luck everyone, and thanks again Mike :) :thumbsup:

mitch4ging, mqqn, meako and 14 others like this.
  11. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    After much deliberation on what knife I’d choose I finally made up my mind. I didn’t just want to pick a knife I don’t carry, but a pattern and size I don’t carry. I only have a few single blade knives I’d actually consider a pocketknife. I’ve had this little Remington R-5 for a couple of years now, but doubt I’ve carried it more than once. It’s just a tad shorter than a 34OT, which I find extremely useful. Unless it’s on my belt I just gravitate towards a 3 bladed knife. So here goes, starting tomorrow and through the week......I’m in please :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  12. Wild Willie

Wild Willie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2018
    1583689609837719249071.jpg
    Day 2 update... I love how thin ground this knife is, takes a scary edge with little work... Hung some more drywall today, now enjoying a Sunday afternoon libation.

Aryan29, mitch4ging, mqqn and 12 others like this.
  13. Night Rider

Night Rider Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2018
    This sounds like fun so i'm in. I recently picked up a Case Stockman because it reminded me of my late father's favorite dress up knife I use to play with when he was at work Lol. I had planned keeping it pristine and passing it down to one of my sons but after recently finding another one of his work knives I realized that it was the patina and the well worn blades of that little pocket knife that gave it sentimental value. This is the Case Stockman I started carrying and using yesterday and one of his cigar store Jack knives he use to buy monthly. As you can see from the pic Dads preferred method of sharpening was a bench grinder :confused:. Op thanks for the great GAW and helping me to remember what makes a pass down knife sentimental IMHO. :thumbsup::thumbsup: [​IMG]

14. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Ooh, I was always fascinated by those. Seems like a really useful knife.

chuck4570 likes this.
  15. seas165

seas165 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2014
    This sounds like alot of fun, i would like to be in and will make a decision by this evening if that isnt too late. I look forward to the updates this week

chuck4570 and Crazy Canuck like this.
  16. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Thinking....thinking.....thinking....

Great giveaway!!! Good luck to all that enter!!!

chuck4570 and Crazy Canuck like this.
  17. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gave the tip of my Bullnose a touch-up before slipping it into my pocket :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

mitch4ging, mqqn, Pinemoon and 12 others like this.
  18. JaxBaron

JaxBaron Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 4, 2016
    I guess I’ll play along :D. My choice is this Case Seahorse Whittler. I always like the looks of this pattern and was pretty happy once I finally purchased one. Unfortunately that happiness was short lived, I really dislike the way the knife feels in hand. I’m also not a huge fan of how thick the main blade is. This knife quickly found its home in a dark drawer for the past few years :eek:. Awesome idea for a giveaway @Crazy Canuck!:)

04DCBAAC-1D52-43B6-9FF8-FA2E3C2C0135.jpeg

19. sunknife

sunknife Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2018
    I'll join in Mike. Thank you and this should be fun. I have some safe queens I never carry and thought about one of those as a knife to carry all week but I'll likely want to pass them off to another someday so want to keep them pristine.
    I have some others I never carry because of issues like blade wobble, etc. but couldn't stand the thought of being annoyed everytime I pulled it out to use this week.:D
    So I choose this RR copperhead to carry all week. I dyed it blackish from its factory amber color and have maybe pocketed it once since buying it. Two very sharp blades so I think it'll handle my needs for a week. RR copperhead - 1.jpeg

20. Snodgrass

Snodgrass

Feb 7, 2016
    Great idea for a giveaway!

My entry will be my new to me Michigan Jack in denim micarta. I was waiting on a slip for it from KSF before carrying it, then once the slip came it just kinda got set aside. This is a great excuse to give it some pocket time.

mqqn, Pinemoon, chuck4570 and 3 others like this.