1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Name some really good steels that take a fine mirror polish. Stainless and non stainless.

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Dr Heelhook, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I’m looking to get into knife making (I’m having a belt grinder built as we speak) and I really like a really nice mirror polish on a blade. I’d like some good suggestions on steels to use, both stain resistant ones and higher maintenance ones. How do 3V and ELMAX polish for an example?
    /Oskar

2. EastCompassoKnivery

EastCompassoKnivery

Feb 26, 2014
    Hi! As far as stainless goes I have had fantastic success with high polishes on AEB-L. It takes time to get it there but it is very forgiving with the whole polishing process. Definitely worth checking out!

Dr Heelhook likes this.
  3. butcher_block

butcher_block KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 6, 2004
    the finer teh grain adn carbide distribution the better off your going to be. i have seen side by side 154cm and cpm 154 the cpm had a cleaner finish

Dr Heelhook likes this.
  4. C L Wilkins

C L Wilkins

Mar 18, 1999
    For stainless, the best that I've used is RWL-34. Not sure if you can still find it.

CW

Dr Heelhook likes this.