1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Need smallish colourful folder for girl's gift - recommendations

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Houlahound, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    I have a lot of girls and women in my family. A Swiss Army Knife is a great general tool that can be had in a ton of colors and configurations. That "rainbow" stuff isn't as popular as it used to be and some of it is on the cheaper end. As far as a
    solid EDC knife, I've seen a lot of good reviews of the Kizer Mini Domin. Kizer makes a decent knife in my experience. The Mini Domin should be a good value within your price range.

https://whitemountainknives.com/kiz...knife-pink-g10-handle-plain-n690-edge-v3516n3

[​IMG]

DB_Cruiser likes this.
  2. TheEdge01

TheEdge01

Apr 3, 2015
    The Benchmade mini Griptilian comes in several different colors and it falls close to your price range.
    [​IMG]

3. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I think so too. SAKs work well too. Thoughtful, functional and keeps the cost down. To me, much depends on how they might carry the knife and where they live... rural, urban, cabin out in the woods and so forth.

4. redsquid2

redsquid2 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2011
    Who's to say she won't love a Case slip joint? There is smooth bone, saw cut bone, jigged bone, huge variety of colors: chestnut, amber, blue, persimmon. There is curly maple in turquoise. There is synthetic in yellow or black, I think.

Almost forgot India stag, which I think looks particularly awesome.

Also you could find out what her favorite color is. She might like olive drab. Ruike has smaller folders in that color.

5. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    I've given my GF many many knives. The only one she really carries is the Victorinox SD Classic, which might be the most practical EDC ever made, and is used as a personal grooming tool more often than not. Every now and then I see her bring her Spyderco Dragonfly, but never the super awesome purple Keen I gave her.

6. orangejoe35

orangejoe35 The Opposite Platinum Member

Nov 23, 2016
    Boker Sub Kalashnikov
    [​IMG]

7. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    i got my daughter a leek for her 18th birthday.
    went with purple, but there are other options out there

8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    The SAK MiniChamp is the same length as the Classic and includes some pretty cool tools for anybody.

Though I don't know if it comes in pink or purple or rainbow glitter....apparently, from reading many, many threads like this, those are the only colors girls like. Al the other colors are "boy" colors.

9. Peacedivision

Peacedivision

Sep 4, 2018
    [​IMG]

Teal Dragonfly2

cbach8tw likes this.
  10. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    SAKs are hard to beat.

Check out a Buck Bantams as well.

11. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    Totally depends on the person. I’d gladly get my wife a Spyderco Delica if she’d carry it but I know she wouldn’t. I was tempted to get her a Spyderco Dragonfly, she’d likely carry it in her purse but I kinda doubted she’d feel comfortable pulling it out to use.
    In the end I got her a Victorinox Classic in pink. She really likes it and uses it. At first though she was like, “kinda sexist them making a pink knife with a nail file” but I showed her a pic of like 40 of them in different colours and explained that I just chose pink because I know she likes pink crap and the knife was not just intended for women. Ironic that she was complaining it was sexist but it’s her favourite colour, lol!
    She made a comment once about being upset that she’d forgotten to switch it into her purse from her work bag so I got her another, this time an exclusive with sea stars on it. She carries and uses both. She keeps the new one in its box in her purse as not to scratch it up, I guess that means she really likes it.

Cosmodragoon and Houlahound like this.
  12. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008
  13. Houlahound

Houlahound

Aug 2, 2017
    Indeed.

14. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Anything Titanium skinned can be anodized all kinds of color. And when they get bored with it, easy to strip and start over. My girls love their ZT's and Kizers. But my wife also swiped my yellow Dragonfly. And mother-in-law had to have the purple Delica.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Victorinox recruit, 84mm tinker, or even the Cadet.
    Like the cadet but still think cellidor is a better value so it's what I'd recommend.

There's also the Buck 524 Alumni , available in Black blue silver and gold.
    Great little lockback for $20.

16. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
  17. Boozoo Chavis

Boozoo Chavis

Oct 18, 2003
    Spyderco Ladybug

[​IMG]

18. jackknife

jackknife

Oct 2, 2004
    Another vote for the Vic classic.

About 40 years ago, I gave our daughter a pink classic. Now she's got several classics in various colors to co-ordinate with her wardrobe. My granddaughter Christy is a college senior and carried a Vic classic. Our granddaughter Bree has a classic in purple she loves to carry fishing anduses the scissors all the time. Our niece Bronwin collects classics in various advertising logos. Has about 50 of the things on a pegboard display. Our aged Aunt Jane in the assisted living keeps a classic handy because at 92 she can't rip open wrappers like she used to, so she cuts them. Also likes the nail file for personal grooming.

The girls love the classics.

J D Wijbenga likes this.
  19. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    That's a neat idea. I didn't know they had a SAK with a USB drive. Looking at it though... the fold-out drive looks bulky and awkward. I get that they need to make it sturdy but it looks weird. Also, the models I'm seeing online are only 16 GB. That used to be awesome but you can get a 16 GB thumb drive for under $5 now. Can it be easily upgraded?

20. Ryan33

Ryan33 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2018
    Spyderco Dragonfly tattoo