New 31 vs Lightly Used 21?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Evany, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    What do you guys think? I'd save a few bucks on a used 21, and not face the uncertainty of the new design.

2. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Depends on if you want to try out the 31 or not. I like the 21 and have always enjoyed the savings of buying off the exchange-for something that was going to be a user anyway. 3rd option is slightly used 31-you will be able to ask question as to lockup and may be able to find one that suits your taste,
    But it is hard to go wrong with a 21 IMO To me the 21 didn't need to be improved, but the 31 does offer something different and it will be up to the individual if they like that difference or not.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  3. Evany

May 7, 2007
    Yeah, leaning towards the 21. I am curious about the 31, but all the discussion about blade movement has me hesitant. Plus I have some concerns that it might be more complex to take down and reassemble. My 21 and previous generations of the Sebenza have never let me down.

4. mag1

mag1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Grab one off the forums, try out. If dont like, u lose paypal fees and shipping when resell it

5. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Don’t believe everything you read on the internet. Sometimes, personal experience out weighs what everybody is magnifying with their perceived
    thoughts.
    Go with what you know and you won’t be disappointed. It’s hard for me to try something new at the places I eat at. I typically get the same foods because I know what I’m getting wil be good.

6. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    My 31 is super, every bit the equal of my 21's... That having been said, since you will end up with more than 1, get a 21 now, then (in a week) when you decide you need another one, get the 31 of your choice. I wonder on the cusp of Regulars, and Classics being retired ,people jumped on 21's and wish they has a Regular or Classic they had bought then?

loon#r likes this.
  7. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    The 31 I handled I was AOK in every way! That said, I recommend a 21 simply because it's a limited time offer! (and you can get blade shapes, handle materials, inlays, and graphics yet to see the 31). Only a handful of ADs still have them in stock, and when they are gone you might look back and say, "oh darn I really wish I picked up a 21 when they were everywhere."

But I'm just some guy on the internet with a mustache.

loon#r likes this.
  8. ForestRoamer

ForestRoamer

Nov 11, 2008
    I will never forget passing up on a used Large Regular bg42 on Ebay in 2008 for $250. I preferred the look of the 21 and didn't realize that in only a short time the Regulars would be hard to find (at the time they were still in stock at many dealers). I bought a 21 and absolutely loved it, but I always regretted not picking up a Regular while they were still widely available at very reasonable prices. Either way you'll be getting a great knife, but before you know it the 21's will probably be hard to find and much more expensive than the 31's. Buy what you like and you'll be happy.

bart1 and guy g like this.
  9. XL883N

XL883N

Apr 12, 2020
    It's the same.

10. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Lightly Used 21

11. BD_01

BD_01 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    If it’s your first CRK, for sure pick something up on the secondary market.
    Saving a few bucks will make it easier to start carrying and using.
    And, if you’re one of the folks that wind up not really getting the CRK thing, you’ll be able to resell it with minimal loss.

12. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    This is a rant here for people that been around. Personally I would not touch the 31.

The best Sebenzas are the earlier ones. Look at the Regular before the 21. Easier to take apart and reassemble. Screws on only one side. Lockbar easier to open and they did not travel over as quick as the 21. The Regulars also didn't have the washers with the holes in em.

I wish they just started making the Regular Sebenza again. They would make a lot of money if they put the original design (WITH the solid washers!!!!!!!!) out for sale again.

13. cabfrank

cabfrank

Jun 21, 2010
    Joe, how are you? Long time no talk, hope all is well.

mag1 likes this.
  14. mag1

mag1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Shoot me an email [email protected] comcast.net

15. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    It's actually easier to take down a 31 than a 21 because of the one piece stop pin assembly.

I vote 31, but that's because I think it's a better knife than the 21. Better inlay design, improved chamfers, improved stop pin, and massively improved lock interface (10+ years of testing that interface on the Umnumzaan, 25, and Inkosi).

kidcongo, ForestRoamer and Ajack60 like this.
  16. XL883N

XL883N

Apr 12, 2020
    Can you please explain how a 21 is easier to maintain? I own both and there is no difference aside from the stop pin but if someone can't figure that out they probably also have difficulty with simple life tasks.

17. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Which internet has a mustache?

BTGuy, kidcongo and pnsxyr like this.
  18. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Can’t go wrong either way. Personally I say 21 for a collector and a 31 to ride it like you stole it.

19. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005

I said the Regular is easier to takedown and maintain.

The 21 replaced the Regular sebenza. Then the 31 came along.

"Regular" is the name of the model and a lot of people get confused with that and the 21. Now we have the 31 replacing the 21.

mag1 likes this.
  20. Evany

May 7, 2007
    Not my first CRK by long shot. I've owned and sold on one of the early ATS34 models as well as Regulars and 21s. I regret every one I sold, especially my first from 1993. These days I have Lg and Sm CF 21s and a Lg Micarta Inkosi. I find I miss the visual simplicity of the PJ versions and the way they develop patina and character as they get used, so a large PJ 21 or 31 is what I'm thinking about. I'd love a Regular, but the prices are too high for me, plus as a lefty, they don't come along very often. This thread has given me a lot to think about.