New 31 vs Lightly Used 21?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Evany, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    My NOS 21 arrived today. The action is beautifully smooth and solid, and the detent is just right. I also prefer the matte screws over the polished hardware on my CF Sebenzas. It's the nicest PJ 21 I've seen. Near perfect grind. I hope I can bring myself to use it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    rexromic, willard0341, mag1 and 5 others like this.
  2. MreeceC

MreeceC Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Wow! Didn’t think a NOS was an option. Well done.
    I EDC the same knife(right handed, double lug) every day.
    You will not be disappointed!

3. Evany

May 7, 2007
    Well, it probably won't be NOS for much longer. They've been turning up on eBay lately for some reason.

4. blanex1

blanex1

Feb 11, 2015
    the way I see it, the regulars and 21's required a lot more hand fitting both on the blade and lockbar, the inkosi and the newer 31s not so much, but that's just how I feel about it.

archieblue and Gilbert G like this.
  5. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Super nice! (I am a little biased towards the Insingo tho! ;)) Random side note...that also might be one of the last Sebs to leave the factory before they changed the box styles?

6. Evany

May 7, 2007
    I don't know when they changed box styles, but I've seen a few 2015s with the old box. On the knife, grind and fit just seems to be a little nicer than a few of the more recent 21s I've handled.

7. photoman12001

photoman12001 Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2008
    I haven’t owned as many CRKs as some folks but I’ve owned a few. The best ones I’ve had overall are the early, pre “Idaho Made” 21s. They have the best actions and most solid lockup. Every Regular I’ve owned had the gummy lock stick except the late S30V large I currently own. Later 21s are generally good but some actions and lockup are significantly better than others. Classics are my favorites to collect but actions and lockup seem to vary with those too. I’m not overly impressed with my Umnumzaans, Sebenza 25s, or Inkosis in the lockup or action department which makes me weary of the 31. There is a lot of vertical movement of the lock bar when open. I’ve handled several 31s and feel pretty meh about them but I will likely buy a small micarta 31 eventually.

With all that said:
    • Favorite EDC knife = 2014 small 21 micarta Insingo
    • Favorite large CRK = 2010 pre “Idaho Made” micarta 21
    • [​IMG]
    • Favorite beater knife = large micarta Inkosi Insingo
    • [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  8. Evany

May 7, 2007
    It's funny how some become favorites and some do not. Surprises me sometimes.

9. Gilbert G

Gilbert G Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2019
    PHotoman12001 - awesome collection! I've owned and handled regulars, Classics, and 25's and 21's and agree with pretty much everything you said. +1 spot on. Like the way you did the brushed on the Umnumzaan. :thumbsup:
    Makes me wonder when so many people I've come across believe the same, that the older 21's where some of the best. I'm also guessing these were the Sebenza's that truly made the knife famous and the CRK brand. Am I right on this? So why then would CRK not just continue to bust them out like Hinderer did with minor minor changes? Why change at all when they really are perfect? I look at the original Umnumzaan (pre-idaho made) I've been lucky to own and think "my gosh, why in the world would you change anything?". Unless to make room for inlays or different material inserts, why oh why deviate from perfection over the years? Unless of course the answer is to reduce costs and ease of production.

- Think you hit the nail on the head.

colubrid, Alsharif and photoman12001 like this.
  10. Gilbert G

Gilbert G Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2019

11. HulkHogan55

HulkHogan55

Aug 8, 2020
    Amen

12. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Wouldn't it be great if someone at CRK would read this thread.

13. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Bring back the original "REGULAR".

CRK would make a killing!

BJE likes this.