New batch wip

Discussion in 'Turley Knives' started by bindlestitch, Sep 15, 2010.

1. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Yo, guys.
    This batch has seven knives in it. Six customer knives and one for me.:D

Cut out and profiled
    [​IMG]

Got 'em ground and ready for heat treat mostly today.

[​IMG]
    Two full heights in there and five varied grinds. The varied grinds are the time eaters, they're easy to screw up. At least for me.

Hope you dig.
    Iz

2. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    Looking good Iz! Your really knocking em out lately!

3. skab8541

skab8541

Dec 6, 2006
    Oh I'm guessing the soldier river hidden tang is for you, since it doesn't have an order sheet under it.

4. grindonyou

grindonyou

Sep 21, 2006
    Nice batch with nice grinds . Thanks for the pics.

5. jcl-MD

jcl-MD

Aug 30, 2008
    Iz
    GOOD stuff my friend!!

6. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Bingo, brutha. I'm gonna make it and beat the tar out of it, use it for my woods knife until it breaks or satisfies me that hidden tangs are just as good as full tangs. I hear so often that hidden tangs are weak so I'm gonna see. I know they are weaker when it comes to prying and side force but I don't pry heavily with a knife so we'll see.
    Iz

7. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman

Sep 21, 2009
    Once you break it can I have what is left over?

8. kahuana

kahuana

May 10, 2007
    I'll bet you will be surprised at the strength of a hidden tang knife, Iz. Especially with your steel and the solid handle I'm sure you'll attach. They were the mainstay knife design for years. Be sure to post the weight specs, I for one am curious as to the weight loss for the hidden tang. Good luck with the experiment.

9. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    You've got a big enough collection of broken knives, you don't need anymore.
    Iz

10. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, brother. I'm thinking though, oddly enough, that this hidden tang is actually gonna be heavier. It's gonna have a nickle silver pommel which will put some weight back. Maybe not though, we'll have to see.

Got the knives heat treated. Here they are just out of the quench.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three blade finished, four to go.
    [​IMG]

Got some of the handle materials prepped and ready to laminate tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Lord willing I'll finish with hand sanding, mark the blades and get a few glued up. Along with laminating the handles that need it.

Thanks for looking everybody.
    Iz

11. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Got 'em all hand sanded and marked. I did mostly handle prep today. Lots of flatting on the backwoods flat grinder.
    [​IMG]

Most of them are pretty straight forward except this one. The customer wanted a knife like my personal user so this one gets an Osage pommel and 1/4" red spacers. Not difficult it just takes a little longer to get everything lined out.
    [​IMG]

The biggest key for me on these is to get the pommel lined up square on each side so it matches. This is how I do it, I'm sure there's a million ways but this works best for me. I flat the inside, outside and top of the scales. Then I clamp them both up on one side of the tang and use a square to make sure everything is straight.
    [​IMG]

After that I take it to the drill press and drill through both scales to keep everything where it should be.
    [​IMG]

I got it right the first time...this time.:51:
    [​IMG]

I ended the day with two glued up and the rest ready to glue tomorrow or the next day. Depending on when my materials shipment gets here. I kinda got ahead on orders and out ran my stock.:eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Four glued up and shaped, Lord willing they'll be done tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Got the guard on the hidden tang soldier river, too.
    So I'll work on sheaths until I get my handle material in for the other two.:eek:

Thanks for looking as always,
    Iz

12. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Is one mine??!!

13. Moosedog

Moosedog

Aug 5, 2008
    Love the old-school Brewers sticker on the tote!

14. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Rocky,
    I'm not sure, brother. I can't keep usernames straight with the real names.:eek:
    What did you order?
    Iz

15. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks, Moose. I'm a baseball freak. I used to be a baseball fanatic and that sticker is from those days. It makes me feel old looking at it now.:(;)
    Iz

16. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    And done.
    [​IMG]

Well sorta done. I've got one kydex :cool: and three leather :barf: sheaths to make tomorrow.
    Hope you liked following along..:cool:
    Iz

17. Rockywolf

Rockywolf Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Steve is name and I know which one is mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

18. grindonyou

grindonyou

Sep 21, 2006
    Iz, Very nice batch i like the two tone handles . Great work and cool thread .

19. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Lol, now I know who you are.:D Your sheath should be done tomorrow, Lord willing. I put a full day of sheaths and shipping out knives today so I'm gonna pull a little o.t. tomorrow and get this batch finalized.
    Thanks again, brother.

Thanks, brother. I appreciate it!

Iz

20. bindlestitch

bindlestitch

Oct 23, 2006
    Got the sheaths done yesterday. It takes me forever to do leather sheaths.:grumpy:
    About 12 hours for the three leather sheaths and about an hour for the kydex.

Chocolate kydex for a Gasconade. Horizontal carry with a firesteel loop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leather for the moon creek. With the optional shield.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plain leather for a Gasconade
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leather for a Gasconade with optional shield.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,
    Iz