1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Days

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by Spectre, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    Sounds like good news all around. But good or bad, you know you can move through it. Best of luck on the NC search - I'd tend to agree that it's a step up from DC and Mobile.

2. Novadak

Novadak

Mar 14, 2000
    Wonderful news. Congratulations! :)

3. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    I was finally able to meet with Jordy to sign the marriage agreement, and the papers were filed. In another week, she can call in and have them presented to the judge, and 10 days after that...done. (If I'd realized the additional step was necessary, I would have used my papers, instead, but, oh, well...)

I'm still looking for employment in the Raleigh area. If any of y'all know a company there that needs someone with technical, science or general teaching, research, problem solving or care skills, let me know! :p I've also finished all *63 pages* of my security clearance application. I'm hoping that goes through soon, so I can reclass and reenlist.

Claire and I are doing great, and we'll meet in Lexington in a week so I can meet her dad and brother and see where she grew up. :)

4. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002
    Meet her Dad and brother hmmmmmmmm?

I want to see creases and shines, young man. You WILL NOT cuss. You WILL say "Sir" and "Maam" to the appropriate people. You WILL treat all waiters and waitresses like professionals who are doing a job for you and for which you are grateful.

Fingernails clean and trimmed, and hair (you DO have hair now, don't you?) barber-shop sharp.

Listen more than you speak. Think before you speak. And remember, ain't nobody who wants to find out how smart you are.

Best wishes, Bud.

:D

5. hollowdweller

hollowdweller

Sep 22, 2003
    We're getting stimulus funds and hiring 40 new people but it's not in NC.;)

6. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    D'oh! Well, TN and NC are the only two southern states I've considered moving to, and her family is in NC.

Kis, I do those things anyway...but, good advice!

J

7. M. Taylor

M. Taylor

Dec 4, 2005
    Wow, I'm glad I bumped into this thread! John, that's fantastic news! I wish the two of you all the best. I share your thoughts about NC as well.

8. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Thanks, everybody.

I've really had some hard times since making it back from A-stan. Much of that had to do with a stressful personal life while trying to do too much. My mental state in late 07 was easily worse than while I was deployed. Things got really bad again around the end of last year, with me dropping down to 143 (I weighed 146 when I joined the Army in 2001, gained 10 lbs in basic, and have stayed at or about that since).

But...I can't describe how happy Claire and I are with each other. We both had given, or were giving up on finding someone really special to spend our lives with. Honestly, our relationship is better than I could ever have hoped, and she feels the same way. We have found a rare and special love. I'm very thankful.

John

9. ferguson

ferguson

Feb 21, 2001
    John, that's such great news. FYI, Lexington is the BarBQue capital of the world. Try to have some while you're there, if you like pork. Good folks down there.
    Good luck on your job hunt my friend. Hopefully the economy has hit bottom around here and will be on the upswing.
    Steve

10. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Steve...I was actually going to meet Claire in Lexington FOR the barbecue festival (late October). But her company's contract with DOT is ending, and she says we can have good barbecue there anytime, so I'll see her Thursday. :)

J

11. gravertom

gravertom

Jun 4, 2004
    I'm so glad you can say that! I so glad i can also.

+1 on the Lexington BBQ! I spent 11 years around those parts. two words- hush puppies!

:)

I'm sorry that your sacrifice for all of us involved more than just your time and danger overseas...

All the best to you both!

Tom

12. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Tom, I've heard rumors of such. :) This came as a surprise to me- in AL, hush puppies are just associated with fish fries, not barbecue.

Hey, I have lots to learn yet. :D

John

13. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    I've been having a great time in NC, and really like Claire's dad, stepmom, and youngest brother. Yesterday, I went "golfing" with Ray and three of his buddies.

(And by golfing, since I've never been golfing before, I mean I drove a cart and hung out with them, and had a great time.)

Well, Claire's company's contract with DOT ended Wednesday, but Thursday she got a call to schedule an interview with another company . This means our trip will be cut short by several days, but of course we have to take care of responsibilities like paying the mortgage. We have a day and a half left on this trip, but any time is better than none. And they've been good days. :)

John

14. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    :thumbup:

Thanks for the reports. Sounds like you've turned the corner and seeing dawn on the other side.

Seems like we're looking for similar stuff in different areas. I'll PM you if I turn up anything further east.

15. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    So glad I cought this thread. Great news. Congratulations John. I'm very happy you're doing well brother.

16. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    :)

Hey, Andy.

Claire has been hired with another firm at a barely noticeable pay decrease, but with what seems will be a better work environment, and advancement potential. This does mean that she'll be staying a while longer in the DC area, so I'll be looking for work there.

I did an extension with the Army Reserve today (my ETS would have been on the 10th). My first priority in the service is becoming an officer, so my extension will be plenty of time to try to push that through.

17. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002

John?

You wacherass, hear?

I still don't trust the Guard. Asked around and got relatively reassuring words about the choices you had/have, but..., well...just wacherass.

Good news about Claire. Wise decision not to golf with serious golfers. That's a no-win situation; they're worried about nuances and you're trying hit a ball two times in a row. :)

Living in D.C. area...you are about to have a profound lesson in relative value of all things, as determined by geographic location.

Be well, safe, and happy.

18. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Yeah, if I had gone over to the DC NG MP unit I was talking to, I'm estimating I'd deploy 2-3 times in a 6 year term of enlistment! I'm not necessarily trying to get out of ever deploying, but I'd like to be in a place where I feel that I'm performing to potential. And of course I want plenty of time with Claire. I have a lot of catching up to do. :)

j

19. Kismet

Kismet

Jan 30, 2002

Hell, John, dragging pipes around mountains in astan more than meets anybody's requirement for service. You've been there, done that...and I got the boonie hat to prove it. :)

20. Lion's Roar

Lion's Roar

Apr 11, 2004
    John,

I was cruising by the Cantina, been a while. Great to see your update. Glad you are doing well!

David