NEW Demko Shark Lock & AD-20

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by insta9ves, May 31, 2020.

1. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    I know many people in this forums are huge Demko fan, but not everyone here uses Instagram, so just wanna repost some pictures of Andrew Demko's new lock - Shark Lock and his new AD20 model.
    NOTE: These are not my pictures, and i don't own any right to them. Just reposting from Demko's IG account. If you want to see how the lock works, Andrew also posted multiple videos of the action.
    The new lock is supposed to be much easier to operate based on the video and potentially very fidget friendly. Also according to Demko, the strength is similar to Triad lock. He mentioned that the knife had tested to withstand 1400lbft of force and only weights 5oz.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    BTW the AD20 has multiple blade styles - Drop point, clip point and sheepfoot/wharncliff. They also run on ball bearings. When he start producing these knife, it'll only have thumbstud, no thumbhole as pictured.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Dadpool and dogstar like this.
  3. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
  4. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Looks like another winner from Demko!

5. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Great job Mr. Demko!

jbmonkey, insta9ves and dogstar like this.
  6. Daniel

Daniel Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1998
    He is really a creative guy! Smart

jbmonkey, insta9ves and dogstar like this.
  7. dogstar

dogstar

Jan 23, 2011
    :cool::thumbsup:

8. marcus52AR

marcus52AR Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Looks like it might have similar ergos of a Manix. I'll probably get one when they come out. Looks like a cool design, and different.

9. The Whip

The Whip

Jan 28, 2007
    Awesome! What a great design that hopefully Cold Steel will market.

Thank you for sharing this, insta9ves! I would not have seen it otherwise.

-Steve

insta9ves and DocJD like this.
  10. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Looks pretty cool...will hopefully be able to check it out in person someday. But "shark lock"?o_O Sounds a bit cheesy...gotta be something better, like maybe "mako lock" or some other shark related terminology.

11. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) I'd also like to see an affordable Cold Steel version , but not sure how comfortable that protruding thumb ramp would be for some uses .

insta9ves and PeteyTwoPointOne like this.
  12. 8thWonder

8thWonder

Jun 3, 2019
    It’s legit a beefed up nicer Manix 2xl the handle is the exact same

13. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    watching this makes me want to carry a beefy EDC, which doesn't appear to be my thing. I like that red scaled one. Nice lock

14. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Demko just posted a video on his IG profile showing the disassembled knife and how the new lock works. He also mentioned in the comments that the MG version of AD-20 starts at $425. It’s surprisingly affordable considering how this is a custom build. This is exactly same price as hinderer XM18.

jbmonkey and willc like this.
  15. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I like it but it does seem like the downside to the easy operation might be a higher risk of accidental lock disenagement? EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that the "fin" needs to be pulled back and up.
    Looks awesome. Could be a homerun for Cold Steel and Demko.

insta9ves likes this.
  16. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah the blade tang has a little ramp up at the end so you can disengage the knife without pulling the tab up.
    I would say that the principle is closer to the axis lock where you have to slide the lockbar out of the way of the blade tang, but in this case the Shark lock relies on the stop pin for the strength while the axis lock relies on the liners. Also the ramp at the end of the tang prevents slippage, which axis lock is more prone to. Axis is very strong in static weight test but often didn’t do well in the spinewhack machine test, and Shark lock fixes that issue.

17. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :( Nope ! No can do .

Get that down to below $100 street sale price ,on clearance or used and I'm in . :p

jacksterp and johnnywizzo like this.
  18. insta9ves

insta9ves

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol

DocJD likes this.
  19. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Maybe if you're lucky Ganzo will offer one:rolleyes:

jbmonkey, DangerZone98, Lee D and 2 others like this.
  20. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    How many years did it take for the Scorpion lock to make its way into CS production? Could be awhile until we see a mass produced Shark lock.

DangerZone98 and jlauffer like this.