1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

New Fokos

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Terry Guinn, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Terry Guinn

Terry Guinn

Oct 9, 2002
    I have always wanted to make some fokos after reading about them in a Knives Annual several years ago. I finally gathered up materials and took the time to make a few.
    They are really neat, much handier than a walking stick...:)
    A-2 steel with heat treat oxidide finish.
    shaft is canvas phonolic (micata) 36" long, 1" diameter. Very stong, with very little flex.
    Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    too cool. is there anything inside the hafts to add rigidity or is it straight micarta?

3. euroross

euroross Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2008
    Very nice!

4. Terry Guinn

Terry Guinn

Oct 9, 2002
    These are solid micata.

Savageknives, I noticed your location, I am about 50 -60 mi. east.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. GLOCKCRAZZ

GLOCKCRAZZ

Jul 28, 2006
    That is cool!!

6. FoxholeAtheist

FoxholeAtheist

Apr 7, 2003
    How long is the haft on those?

7. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    haha cool. Viva La Republic!

8. C Bryant

C Bryant Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2008
    wicked!!! Very nice.

I have one, I love it.
    [​IMG]

9. lamepro

lamepro

Jul 11, 2008
    wwwaaannnttt!!

those are quiet awesome!

10. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Very nice design...Great looking work !

11. Rev

Rev I SHOULD LURK MORE. EDIT: I STILL SHOULD CONTINUE

Mar 28, 2002
    Badass looking hawks!

Love that hammer poled one.

12. Bushman5

Bushman5

Oct 31, 2007
    whoa very cool!

where did you find micarta like that?

13. vector001

vector001

Aug 4, 2007
    a lot of plastics companies carry it.

those are pretty, brother.

i love the millwork on the head junctions.

vec

14. Cynt

Cynt

Dec 8, 2009
    Those are sexy.... good god.

15. Terry Guinn

Terry Guinn

Oct 9, 2002
    Thanks for all the nice complements :)

I found several sources on Google...........all expensive
    I decided on US plastic.....then at checkout I found $50 shipping for 5 rods...
    But what the heck...I wanted to make some Fokos....:D

16. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
  17. Terry Guinn

Terry Guinn

Oct 9, 2002
  18. thompsonblades

thompsonblades

Dec 25, 2009
    Okay, new project for me to try.

19. ma tumba

ma tumba

Apr 5, 2014
    This is the old thread, but these blades are just fantastic! I wonder if they could still be made?

20. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    Nice looking walking cane axes.

Historically the fokos had more slender head, and the ones with spikes had usually more blunted points and were not sharpened on the lower side.

The spike or hammer part opposite of the axe/hatchet blade, called the ‘fok’ (hence the name ‘fokos) was designed to penetrate armor and the long handle allowed for relatively light heads.
    It was originally a weapon used by light cavalry and not a walking stick. It was a fast weapon used to strike and hook and was extensively used by the 9th and 10th century Magyars, as well as later in the 13th century by the Cumans who fled the Mongols and settled in Hungary.

By the 18th century it became a weapon used by both the Hungarian cavalry and foot soldiers of the ‘kuruc’ fighters, the Hungarian insurgents fighting against the Austrian Hapsburg occupation.
    It became the weapon of choice of the 18th-19th century peregrine students, outlaws and rural wardens. By the mid 19th century the head was frequently made of cast brass rather than steel.

In the 18th-19th century the slip-fitted (“tomahawk style”) head was designed to be slipped on and off easily, thus allowing it to be concealed quickly, leaving the owner with an inconspicuous looking walking stick only. Thus the only sharpened edge was that of the narrow hatchet blade.