1. Despite 2020 presenting more than its share of challenges, I'm thankful for all of you, and the community you guys have created. Hope that your homes are full of happiness, your fridge well stocked with leftovers, and your homes warm & loving.

New front flipper framelock build

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Nice design work Josh! This model concept is coming together nicely. :thumbsup: My only comment is don't go too thick on the steel. There are already plenty of thick pry-bar folders around that don't slice worth a crap. You are known for perfect edges and blades that slice. I hope you settle on an appropriate steel thickness to exemplify those qualities.

Thanks for sharing your thought process along the way. I look forward to seeing the finished product in steel and titanium. :cool:

Phil

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  2. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I’ve got a Hinderer XM-18 3.5 that Josh put a custom AEB-L blade in. It’s stock thickness but ground down to nothing. Th geometry of the knife makes it slice like a demon. Don’t be too worried about a thicker blade as long as the geometry is right. I would never think about using this knife as a pry bar like I would some of my stock Hinderers.

tyyreaun, Fullflat and woodysone like this.
  3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input! You are totally right and I'm thinking of going with .115-.125" thick blade stock w/ a full flat grind ;)

Good points here... yes the order of priority in cutting ability (1 making the most difference) is:
    1. edge angle/sharpness
    2. Behind the edge thickness and grind height/type
    3. Stock thickness of the blade
    So if you have the first 2 nailed then the last one will be less important and you would only notice it on really thick items like thick/dense foam or apples and such possibly. But you are correct in that it can still be a slicing demon even at .156" thick!! :)

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Josh...Since you don't have anything else going on, could you bang one of these out this weekend for me? Thanks in advance.

woodysone and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  5. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Haha!! Love it!

woodysone and BilboBaggins like this.
  6. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Yeah my plate is empty, I was worried I wasn't gonna have anything to do this weekend! :D

7. RayseM

RayseM Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Josh, I am super impressed and hopeful to be in line for one of these. You are way more than just the pretty knife sharpener dude that others have suggested. ;) Very cool to watch this evolve.

All the best.

Ray

8. Stang Bladeworks

Stang Bladeworks

Feb 19, 2018
    The design looks great man. Im excited to see this come along. Best of luck.

JJ_Colt45 and woodysone like this.
  9. rxavage

rxavage

Aug 16, 2014
    I dig this one. Maybe my first front flipper?

what is this kuros you speak of?

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  10. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks man, yeah as most modders eventually do I'm looking at getting out of sharpening/mods and into making my own knives/products. I feel like it is not only a wise move for my family and retirement wise (if I ever get there lol) but also less stress - make what I want when I want with no chance of screwing up someone else's knives lol

Thanks man, yeah I'm definitely excited about this one. I had not only a shamwari to compare but also a shiro neon and a lot of input from @Sharp & Fiery who is a front flipper fanatic so that's very helpful!

Thanks! Here is a thread on the Kuros, I'm actually working on the first one of those for a customer tomorrow! So I should be updating that thread soon...

11. Yester5

Yester5 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Wow! Looks really great Josh. So happy to see your skill set rise to off the charts I'd carry and use the shit out of this design...looks like a perfect EDC to me :)
    Rock on brother!

12. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks for the support Bill!! Great to see you over here!!

13. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Not sure how I've managed to miss your sub-forum all this time Josh, especially with the mention above as well as the link in your sig line. Color me oblivious. :confused:

Anyway, the asymmetrical contact point on Shiros is just another of their excellent little design elements that works well on a number of levels. As much as I like like the looks of them, I'm not the biggest fan of milled/sculpted clips as they're often way too stiff and hard in and out of pocket. Creating a smallish contact point on them only worsens the problem in the same way that narrow tires provide better traction by decreasing their footprint and inversely increasing PSI. The asymmetry of Shiro clips is not really the controlling factory here, but that the contact edge is long and narrow, spreading out the tension to decrease the traction of initial contact with the pocket seam on insertion as well making removal easier while still providing a larger contact area for retention.

Clever, these particular Russkiy's and clever of you to follow their lead. ;)

14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Well glad you made it, even if a few months late ;)

Yeah I agree on the milled clip point... I've had a lot of knives come through my hand and a lot of terrible clips. So I will ensure my own folders have highly functional clips for sure!

woodysone and RayseM like this.
  15. Kkbomb

Kkbomb Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Josh with input from @Sharp & Fiery on a custom front flipper!!! I’ll take 3!

The only input from the peanut gallery is 3.3” blade. However, 3.1” is close enough and it’s only personal preference. Oh yeah it should be full ti.. :)

I’ll be Colman flipping that all day long!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  16. Dogdrawz

Dogdrawz Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 15, 2016
    This thing is checking all kinds of boxes. Too...many...boxes! Gettin back to the Exchange to sell off some inventory! :thumbsup:

17. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Little bit of CAD work today, putting the grind in. It was challenging getting it set to be the same edge thickness all the way from tip to heel but I got it finally! So... flat or hollow? whichever it will be ground pretty thin. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

metaxasm, Barman1, JJ_Colt45 and 3 others like this.
  18. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    I’d go with flat grind, unless you could do a hollow grind transitioning into a enforced tip area, either way really like the idea of a thin grind.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  19. Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    100% agree

20. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I agree with these gentlemen. Flat grind and thin behind the edge makes for a winning combo.

The CAD drawing looks very nice by the way. This is the R&D project I am most interested in from you.

Phil