New guy here

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Chris G, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Chris G

Chris G

Feb 14, 2011
    Evenin everyone! Ive been a lurker on this forum and many others for awhile now. I just wanted to thank everyone for the excellent information that Ive been reading for the past 2-3 months. Theres such a limitless amount of information available, and it makes it so much easier for the aspiring knife maker. I've also picked up a numerous amount of books on the subject...theres just too much for my brain to encompass! I guess time will remedy that. I just finished building a slapped together forge. here's a pic! im quite proud of it considering its my first one!!

[​IMG]

heres also a pic of my anvil with a homemade stand!

[​IMG]

I also have a modified 2x42 craftsman grinder. I've been messing around with mild steel. I think when I get a real forge going I'll take the plunge and get some 1070 from admiral. Also, I'll purchase quench oil I saw on mcmaster. Well...thats about it. I hope so make some knives to show you guys! thanks again, everyone.

2. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    Since you're in NJ you may want to check out Aldo Bruno, he's in NJ not sure where since all y'all yankees are so close together.

Make sure that the burner isn't pointed directly at the blade in that forge, ideally you want a "swirl" of flame, preferably exiting the back otherwise it becomes what is known as a "dragonbreath" forge..... the reason for that is pretty simple if you ever see one! :eek:

Welcome to BF.

3. Salem Straub

Salem Straub

Oct 20, 2008
    Welcome aboard, good to have you. Always room for another smith.

4. Chris G

Chris G

Feb 14, 2011
    thanks will, and salem.

as far as the forge goes, i was just experimenting with a forced air burner. i ordered a chile forge some time ago and it should be done with 1-2 weeks. cant wait!

5. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    Are you going to forge on that nice floor? ;)

I don't give advice on gas forges because I'm afraid of someone getting hurt from my bad advice....

Best advice beside reading all the stickies and the last 50 pages on this forum is to find a bladesmith in your area. You don't know what you don't know, even watching someone forge is a great education.

6. indian george

indian george

Feb 15, 1999
    Who are you calling Yankees????:confused::D
    Chris, I am having a Hammer-In on April 16th.

7. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    Anyone who lives in a place where they don't serve sweet tea.

8. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Hell, you can come as far north as Canada, we've got that here.

and we'll give you ice to put in it too.

9. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Welcome Chris. Looking forward to seeing your work.
    That's a nice looking anvil. First time I see one like that.:confused:

10. Will Leavitt

Will Leavitt

Jul 28, 2006
    If you have to ask for ice in sweet tea then it ain't sweet tea..... :rolleyes: Damn Canadians :D

I've found that north of the Carolinas and even in parts of Arkansas they don't have sweet tea.

Nice hammers too.... everything is wayyy too pretty....

11. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    We call it iced tea and you already get it sweet.
    I 've asked for Iced tea in the US before and there was no sugar in it at all - wasn't expecting that at all...

To the OP
    Nice setu you have there It looks like you have learned quite a bit already.