New Guy

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Dustin Tatum, May 30, 2020.

1. Dustin Tatum

Dustin Tatum

May 30, 2020
    Im new to this forum, quick back story. I had i major surgery 2 years ago and got hooked on painkillers bad, through my recovery my doctors and therapist said i need a hobby, not really ever having hobbies i didnt know what to do until i purchased my first Spyderco(Dragonfly) now for the past 3 months i have been hooked, every waking moment im either learning about knives or buying knives, im going to blade show in August in ATL, i just purchased 3 knives before i got on here. Its been ridiculous. I want to experience every brand, the most expensive knife i bought was a Protech TR-3 shaw skull limited edition. Least expensive has been the Rat 2..... but whats the deal with knives like Gonzo, and eafengrow? They are Chinese, but seem solid with D2 steel and G10.... do you guys frown on these knives?

thanks, if anyone had a suggestion of a knife i should get im all ears. No one around shares this interest with me. Reason i started doing this.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. jfk1110

jfk1110 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Welcome to the never ending.rabbit hole!! Been down the same road myself so I know! Welcome and enjoy!! First suggestion, set a few bucks aside every month towards the next gotta have it knife!!! Make yourself earn that knife!! Consequences bro!! We don't appreciate things that come easy!!! End of speech!!

Follow the.edc thread.to see what you like! Ask about whatever peaks your interest! In the fixed n folder thread everyone tells by brand n name what they are carrying! Best of luck to you and welcome the best knife forum out there!!!

James

3. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you’ll fit right in.

There are going to be as many suggestions as you have money for, and more. You might check out the exchange as well. Lots of buying and selling good quality knives from very reputable and respectable members, and you can usually save a few bucks off new.

There is several encyclopedias worth of knowledge on this forum, and the people here are what keep me coming back. It’s a great hobby. Good luck :thumbsup:

4. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Welcome to the forums...lots and lots of information here...some correct, some not. You’ll have a blast! If you find great info and great deals, I would suggest you support the site with at least a basic membership. :D
    As for the two brands you’ve asked about, use the search function on Bladeforums to find out what the majority thinks of those brands. Lets not let another “new guy” thread go that direction.
    Like I said, Welcome! Get ready to see some awesome blades, buy some awesome blades, get mods done on awesome blades, and have more info than you know what to do with about awesome blades!!
    Also, the people here are pretty awesome too!
    Enjoy the hobby, and...as always...
    Keep ‘em Sharp

GIRLYmann, woodysone, guy g and 2 others like this.
  5. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Glad you joined the party and hope you stay well.

6. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Ganzo, Eafengrow, Jufule, PSRK, the list goes on for half a dozen odd names. They all have a few things in common.

1) The siren song of "spend less, live better". Or however that goes. You'll find yourself with a pile of mediocre knives, which is fine if you're interested in quantity, not quality. But if you develop a taste for better cutlery, you won't be able to get back any of the money you spent on those knives, because they lose all their value the moment you open the mailing envelop.

2) Intellectual property theft. Not all of them, but quite a few, make almost exact copies of knives from Benchmade, Spyderco, and the like. Since they're based out of China, there is very little that legitimate manufacturers can do to stop this kind of thing, which is why you have to pay attention on sites like Ebay (don't go to Ebay. It's bad for your credit card balance).

3) Questionable steel choice. S35VN and Titanium, on a $35 knife? Hmmmmmm. China doesn't participate in the AISI standard, so these factories can put any alphabet soup on the blade that they want, and you can't tell if it's actually the steel they use, or just a fancy sticker.

If you're the sort of person who invests in activities with his whole heart, I would advise you to stick to buying from places where you know you're getting the genuine article, so that if your tastes change down the road, you can sell some of your collection, to fund future purchases.

7. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 14, 2012
    Well said @Shorttime

Dustin Tatum, jfk1110 and Shorttime like this.
  8. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't tell you how many times I've stared at a $20 "Benchmade" on my computer screen, thinking about what I've learned in my time on Bladeforums.

Wait until Mr. Tatum finds out how low the buy-in is for equipment and materials to make his own knives.....

Sharp & Fiery likes this.
  9. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Welcome. There are about 14.24 bazillion threads that have discussed those brands. The majority of people here definitely frown on those brands for many reasons, the largest reason being that these companies have and still do rip off designs, trademarks, and patents of legitimate knife companies. The other big issue is the dubious honesty regarding materials, the steel in particular. They might say it's 440C or D2, but it likely isn't, and is more likely some Chinese analogue or worse, and with questionable heat treatment. They're already being dishonest by stealing designs and patents, so how can they be trusted to be using the steel they claim the knives are?

danbot likes this.
  10. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Welcome to the forum!
    Ganzo bad!

11. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    My advice for a new collector.

Go on the Randall made knife site. Build a nice knife order it for $50 down you lock in todays price.

Then you have something really cool to look forward too. 6 years will go by faster than you think.

For me This was one of the most rewarding experiences in Knife collecting.

My kids all built and ordered theirs at 12 years old for their 18th birthday. I told them to keep their grades up, no drugs, no alcohol. Or I’d sell their knife on EBay.

12. Skar

Skar

Mar 24, 2020
    Knife suggestion.
    Spyderco manix 2 !!
    Fantastic knife

DangerZone98 and Dustin Tatum like this.
  13. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    Welcome Dustin.

Hi James..you’re right bro we sure do :thumbsup:
    Just today in EDCXIII thread there’s a mention by someone asking for names of the knives that we post.... thought I’d mention here.. eh;)
    Aryan

Last edited: May 30, 2020
    IEN710 and jfk1110 like this.
  14. Dustin Tatum

Dustin Tatum

May 30, 2020
    Thanks for all the replies, im excited to be apart of this. My plan is to collect things that make me happy, my grandfather passed down a Case collection that he split among kids and grandkids. Id like to have a bunch of knives to pass down to my kids one day... i dont wanna put my efforts and money toward knives that rip off and hurt the american knife community so im happy for that info as well. My most recent purchase and EDC has been a Giantmouse Ace Biblio in M390. My next big purchase is either going to be the Shaman or Yojimb, or canis, but definitely eyeing a spyderco.

15. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    great! that you have inherited some quality heirlooms
    case knives is a solid place to start.
    https://www.casecollectorsclub.com/
    you can actually rebuild the collection.
    better yet, it helps the local economy.
    you can't go wrong with case as a life
    long hobby.
    there are pethsps other attention grabbing
    trends and such that folks in this forum can help you with.
    welcome and do enjoy your logged in visits!

16. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    Welcome to BF, Dustin. I’m glad you made it through the surgeries.

I’m more of a Spyderco and Cold Steel man. On some days, I’m looking for the clean, slim designs of the Spydies and on other days the tough, chunky profiles of the Cold Steels. I recommend knives like the Manix 2, the Para 3, and the Recon 1. Honestly, as long as you pick a knife that you like and works for you, you should be golden. But I also suggest staying away from counterfeit/clone makers. :D

I don’t have knives from Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, and Chris Reeve, but I’ve heard good things about them from more knowledgeable forum members than I. It would be worth checking those brands out too and see what appeals to you.

Happy hunting, partner.

GIRLYmann and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  17. dcycleman

dcycleman Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2009
    Welcome man,
    It’s a fun hobby . So many great companies and makers to choose from.

DangerZone98 and Sharp & Fiery like this.
  18. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I prefer Chris Reeve and Spyderco folders, Survive (fixed) and some Benchmade folders.
    My long-time favored manufacturer is Spyderco, which has no peer, IMO. Several knives come from China, and some brands are well thought of, although I try to support American makers.
    Nearly all of my knives were purchased here on the Exchange for a "large" discount from new commercial sources, although most of mine come "as new in box", wrapped in original wraps and boxes. Sure, local knife shops need to make a living, but I don't have the money to do it.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  19. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    I mostly do spyderco, ZT/Kershaw, and Benchmade. I have many of each of those brands, a good number of Bucks (110s and 112s), a cold steel (ad10), and a few others (crkt, civivi, artisan).
    Look around, do some research, and see what you may like and go for it. It's a fun hobby, if expensive!