New Knife Smell and box

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Jan 28, 2020.

1. herisson

herisson Apple slicing rocking chair dweller Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2013
    If it doesn't matter, why open a thread ? In my opinion, there are things to discuss. It's not hard core like "what steel can walk me safely through the zombie apocalypse" but I imagine it is way nearer to everyday concerns of many knife nuts. The most bestest knife is a joke (a bad one) if it doesn't make it to you due to poor packaging (robbed, lost, dropped...).
    So, I'd go as far as to say :

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    WValtakis likes this.
  2. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    The only knife I can recall that had a smell were the old case knives from their oil.

I don't really care about the packaging, but White River has some fine knife packaging. I don't want the packaging so "nice" that I hesitate to throw it away if I choose to. Generally I toss the packaging on knives I use and keep it for the ones that I have not used to that point. That varies a little with fixed blades.... cheaper blade packaging gets tossed, but I will save the packaging from more expensive knives. The packaging does not influence my buying in the slightest.

aji1 likes this.
  3. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    Cough, cough...

4. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    I imagine you are interested in knives reaching you safely ? Of course you are. Just a nudge.

5. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    Of course. That is the purpose of packaging as far as I'm concerned. The packaging has no marketing influence for me. Of course there are the bomb proof retail store packaging that is anti-theft.

Gee wizz, that's a pretty box. Think I'll buy it. ;)

6. herisson

Mar 11, 2013
    [Won't buy because of the box] : Of course. The box doesn't make the sale. Whatever the box, it's my precious inside ! And I get very concerned with the packaging once it is shipped ! I want it to travel safely and securely to my greedy mitts !

7. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :confused: The manufacture's supplied box is a separate issue from the packaging added for shipping , usually .

And I do appreciate having enough protection to have any "new" knife and it's box arrive looking / smelling BNIB . :cool::thumbsup:

I've had a few shipped in unpadded envelopes , looking like an elephant sat on them the whole way .;)

8. aji1

aji1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I recently got a knife from T.A. Davison and really liked the packaging. It came in a zippered nylon pouch. The thing is thickly padded and has a very soft interior lining. That was shipped in a small U.S.P.S. box wrapped in a micro fiber cloth that basically took up all of the dead space. The only thing that needs to be thrown away is the box; everything else is reusable. Actually, the missus already requisitioned the pouch to use as a travel case for her watch.

I also like the GEC tubes and CRK has a nice complete package.

IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG

herisson and 22-rimfire like this.
  9. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Kabar has very nice boxes. You wouldn't think it but it's true. Perhaps it helps a bit in weeding out fakes.

Like others have said though, I'd prefer a knife company to put the money into their knives. So TOPS, with its heavy duty sealed plastic wrap and no box, actually does a great job too. If you order on the internet, it's already in a packing box from the dealer, so why waste money on an inner box? Works for me.

aji1 likes this.
  10. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    I am in the middle on this one. The packaging by the factory does reflect the company/manufacturer and the packaging used for shipping does reflect on the retailer. I want the packaging to be "safe" since there is a sharp object inside. I want the retailer's packaging to provide additional safety and security, but I am pretty flexible on this as long as the knife does not arrive damaged.

@aji1 The TA Davidson packaging is good but I sort of expect that with a $500+ knife. His little padded pouch is useful for storage if you are inclined that way. I wouldn't let my wife keep mine. :D

aji1 likes this.
  11. kniferbro

kniferbro Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 22, 2011
    GEC tubes are awesome. For what ever reason I really like the brown wax paper the knives are wrapped in. Gives it such a old school touch.

aji1 likes this.
  12. Dr Heelhook

Dr Heelhook

Jul 24, 2007
    I got a traditional Japanese knife of the Kanetsune brand that came in a really nice box. You can trust the Japanese to get stuff like that right.

aji1 and herisson like this.
  13. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I too like the pine wood LE box from Buck..It really protects the knife, shieth and paperwork. 20200118_164908.jpg

aji1 likes this.
  14. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    If it comes in a nice box or tube, I think it helps with storage in my boxes or drawers. I think how they are shipped matters, the padded envelopes can tear or get snagged in shipment and lose the contents. Years ago I sent a small pocket knife back in a padded envelope and it got lost and I did not get my credit back with the mail order catalog. That was my own fault but learned an important lesson to shipmin a study box.

aji1 likes this.
  15. Feca10ne

Feca10ne Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Really nice boxes and extras always leave me wondering how much $ they could have shaved off the final price without them...:oops:

aji1 likes this.
  16. aji1

aji1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I agree that you should expect something decent with a pricey knife. The thing I like about the T.A. Davison packaging is that it is pretty minimalist. A nice little padded pouch, not too fancy, and a generic cloth in a U.S.P.S. shipping box. I don't need my knife packed up like it's a fine Swiss watch. I just want it to be protected during shipping and, maybe, for storage.

As for the wife, she was there when I opened the package. The first words out of her mouth were, "Wow! Pretty! That must have been really expensive!" Before I had a chance to answer, she followed up with, "And such a nice pouch! That would be really perfect for me to use as a travel case for my watch!" Knowing that she is a lot smarter than me, and that the terms of the conversation had already been dictated, my animal brain responded, "Yeah? You like it? It's yours..." Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor!

Maybe I'll ask Todd how much it would cost to send me a replacement...

Feca10ne likes this.
  17. Mr.sig239

Mr.sig239 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 16, 2007
    I save them all. I believe it helps hold the value.
    family boxes.jpg

Feca10ne likes this.
  18. Feca10ne

Feca10ne Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2020
    Excellent!
    I keep a large rubber-made tub in the shed full of all my empty boxes. Having a box and papers ect. just sweetens the pot for a potential future buyer. I once bought a Rolex box at a second hand store and resold it on Fleabay for $150! People are box cray-cray.

19. Cogam87

Cogam87

May 5, 2019
    I'm surprised no one's mentioned Kizer.

Knife is put in plastic bag, then put into a zipper pouch. Then that's put on top of a microfiber cloth in the bottom on a box, top is put on then that box is put into sleeve(for lack of better word)

Was very impressed with it

JDRanger likes this.
  20. Jim Bob

Jim Bob

Apr 16, 2019
    I don't know because my wife always opens them up before I get home. She even took over my ocean blue sodbuster jr. recently. Doggonit!