1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

New Leatherman

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by 315, May 25, 2019.

1. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I went to a big flea market yesterday and a guy had an Old, but brand spanking new, Leatherman sitting there for $20. I suppose I could have tried an offer but it was easily worth the money. I bought my first one, still have it, around 1991 while in the Marines. If I remember correctly it was around $40.

[​IMG]

2. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    I had one too and recently have been looking at that very same one on the bay. Very nice:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

315 likes this.
  3. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Those old LM tools are nice. they really remind us of where we sort of come from regarding tool design. I was lucky enough to win a Side Clip here on the boards some years ago. I really love the tool's simplistic design. No frills but fully functional. Congrats!

Getting older likes this.
  4. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Great score, they need to bring these back to full production.
    These and the kick, fuse, blast.
    The classic rectangle shape was king, now everything they come out with is ugly in my opinion.
    The ST300 , squirt , and Micra are probably the only tools they produce today that aren't ugly.

315 likes this.
  5. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    The leatherman I miss most is my old original leatherman, it was a transitional model as it was fully up to the specs of a PST-II but was not marked as such.

I'm looking for a new Leatherman, because I mostly carry a FUSE, but miss the file, because the fuse doesn't have one.

jux t likes this.
  6. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Great flea market find! Leatherman makes excellent tools in my opinion. I edc the squirt model on the same carabiner clipped to my pants as my keys and I love it. It goes great as a secondary to my primary pocket knife ( an old trapper at the moment). Also got a Wave plus model in my pickup truck for situations when I need a full size tool for quick fixes but don’t want to take out the toolbox from the crew cab.

315 likes this.
  7. jux t

jux t Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Great find! With the sheath no less. Those old leathermans are my favorite multi tools.

315 likes this.
  8. BP_

BP_ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2015
    My favorite and most carried Leatherman. That’s a great score. :thumbsup:

They “brought them back” as a “limited edition” for 200 bucks at one point.. :thumbsdown:

315 likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    I love my fuse, but would look for a blast if I was still carrying a belt sized MT full time.
    After realizing I rarely need it with all the tools I keep around at home I started just carrying it at work and the the little squirt gets me by otherwise.

10. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Yeah I believe that was last year, and wanted one till I saw the price.

11. Allan DeGroot

Allan DeGroot

Jun 15, 2019
    Frankly If anyone hears I've bought a new Leatherman, as-in "New in factory box",
    all are safe in any of several assumptions:
    1) I have won the lottery
    2) I bought it at a pawn shop
    3) I bought it from a Flea market
    4) I bought it directly from the junkie that shoplifted it from Lowe's/Home Depot/Cabela's, before he got to a pawnshop.

I have NEVER bought one new, My Leatherman's have all been flea market or Pawnshop buys or junkyard finds, I ALWAYS thoroughly search vehicles in the junkyard when I'm there.
    Looking under/behind the seats of trucks is usually rather productive

12. 315

315 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I have my original one that’s in great shape. I bought my Dad one when I got mine in the Marines. It still sits on his dresser collecting dust:rolleyes: Then I got another one from Grandad’s place that was well used. Keep that in the boat. The newer multi-tools may be more comfortable to use but I sure like the original. I saw the reintroduction price tag and about dropped over dead!!!

specgrade likes this.
  13. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I sent my Blast back for repair and they sent me back a new Wave. The cover letter stated that the Blast was no longer being made. I'm not sure which I like the most.

I wonder what I would get if I sent my Core back?

Great score by the way!!

315 likes this.
  14. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    Probably an ST300, which is still in production. If so, that would be a superior upgrade. I've experienced both, and between them, I found the changes to be an improvement. Leatherman often sends its new and improved products when the one sent in is no longer stocked. Cross fingers...

15. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Don't know man, I'm not ready to give up my Core just yet, lol. That ST300 sure is nice though!