New Limited Edition Domino

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by mickeyblueyes, Jan 12, 2014.

1. mickeyblueyes

mickeyblueyes

Jan 28, 2011
    I am on the fence about this knife,if it were a USA made no question,I would order it. But China??? Why why why.

2. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    It's not made in China.

3. ComboEdge74

ComboEdge74

Nov 21, 2013
    #1 : Spydercos made in taiwan, are some of the best quality spydies out-there.

Not wanting to buy a spyderco knife, based on the land of origin, is kinda silly.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  4. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    Taiwan made Spyderco knives are the best in fit and finish hands down. My Domino is awesome and if I had the money to spare I'd get this sprint in a heartbeat.

5. rycen

rycen Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Aug 22, 2002
    These posts were removed from the exchange where they do not belong.

6. chrisommer

chrisommer

Sep 25, 2011
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy this knife just bc it was made in Taiwan. If you are concerned about quality / f&f I can assure you that you will have no issues there. The Sage 2 and Southard (as well as many others) are both mfg'd in Taiwan and are great knives that were near flawless when receiving.

Now if you have an issue with buying a knife that is made anywhere but the good ol USA then I would say that is a personal preference that would be holding you back from buying one hell of a knife. But there are plenty of other great knives that are produced here that I'm sure would satisfy you.

7. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    Yeah, huge political difference between Taiwan and China.

I used to hate the idea of spending $100+ on non-domestic USA made knives, but I'm beginning to loosen my opinion on that.

8. SolidState

SolidState

Sep 22, 2012
    It is also funny because the component steel is not Chinese. Many makers use chinese steel in "American Made" knives and nobody bats an eye.

9. Jibbles

Jibbles

Mar 6, 2013
    Guys, for 1, Taichung produced Spydies are top notch and use great US steels (which is all that matters).
    2, if you want to be 'murican, realize that free market capitalism is the free-est way to go.
    3, and most importantly, KNIVES ARE NOT HIGH TECH, PEOPLE. Seriously, we're not talking about buying a high end firearm or car, folks. These are sharp pieces of metal. If the materials used are good I couldn't care less where it was made.

10. Big DJ

Big DJ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 29, 2013
    I agree that "knives are not high tech" and the Tiachung Spyderco knives are works of art IMHO. That being said I would prefer that an American was getting paid a wage to produce that work of art.

11. Swigert

Swigert

Nov 11, 2013
    Fit and finish are better than USA made Spydies. Just an FYI. I marvel every day at my sage 1. Just sayin Taiwan made is absolutely no reason to not pick it up.

12. Erphern

Erphern

Jan 3, 2014
    As a new member of this forum, the only thing that bothers me is the widespread xenophobia. I just don't understand it. Perhaps if I weren't browsing on a $4K iMac stuffed full of Chinese components then I could start looking down on those of Asian decent...

13. gooeytek

gooeytek

Jul 12, 2011
    No problem with the country of manufacture. If the Military was made in Taiwan, I'd still buy it. Whoever makes anything well, gets my money.

14. zl1

zl1

Nov 24, 2012
    Dat fit
    Dat finish

Taiwan Spydies have excellent fit/finish. No questions ;)

15. miltmaldo

miltmaldo Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2012
    Spyderco Taiwan QC is better than the American made Benchmade and we pay top $ for them . I never seen a Spyderco made in Taiwan with a bad centering or a bad edge . I use to think that way but once I got a Gayle Bradley , Sage , and the techno it doesn't bother me any more . Plus like other have said they use quality American steel .

16. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    It isn't a Chinese knife. :rolleyes:

And the Taichung knives consistently get significantly better marks for quality than the US-made knives.

17. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    Agreed, all my Taichung knives are better fit, finish than the Golden ones. My new Manix2 XL is nice, but not quite as good as the Taichung models I have.

18. blame it on god

blame it on god

Feb 21, 2013
    Agreed, all my Taichung knives are better fit, finish than the Golden ones. My new Manix2 XL is nice, but not quite as good as the Taichung models I have.

19. Seilu

Seilu

Jun 28, 2012
    If Taiwan can make world class high tech gadgets that make our domestic brands (Oh wait? What made in US computers still exist?) look like crap, I'm pretty sure they can make great simple items such as a knife.

20. dishcore

dishcore

Aug 25, 2012
    I made the same mistake recently, thinking Taichung / Taiwan built knives were of Chinese origin.

Read: Mistake

Good blades, man.