1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade 535 Bugout, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 16 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Photos New member: 3 M-43, one CAK (and then some)

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by XelaXela, Mar 28, 2019.

1. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    Greetings HI,

I have been lurking for quite a bit now (1-2 years, more). And I have recently made the jump. My original intention was to obtain one or two examples of HI's great work, and I ended up with 4 pieces (just got the last 2 delivered today).

With Yangdu's assistance and amazing patience, I am now the proud keeper of 3 M-43's and one CAK.

I hope the images come thru properly. I'm terrible at this. I apologize before hand. Sorry the craftsmanship may not be showing. They are truly amazing works of art.

Glad I finally got this whole "family" together.

Sincerely,

XelaXela

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    Thank you Yangdu, and thank you Kamis. I can't say it enough.

Forsaken82 likes this.
  3. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Glad you found us, no more lurking.

EricTheRedBeard and Forsaken82 like this.
  4. pugs75

pugs75 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Welcome aboard.

XelaXela likes this.
  5. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Welcome aboard. Looks like some of my beginnings. CAK was my first 2, BAS and WWII. All recommended by Auntie!

XelaXela likes this.
  6. Dobe_1

Dobe_1

Jun 19, 2013
    Can't have too many M-43s.

XelaXela and EricTheRedBeard like this.
  7. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    Thank you for the welcome. I thought that was going to be it for me. But, I just sent another email (query) to Yangdu.... Woe is me!

EricTheRedBeard likes this.
  8. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    Welcome. I need to get an M-43. Its on the list. Are yours all different lengths and weights or close to the same?

9. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    One is 18 inch, about 30 ounces. Hefty, but not intimidating. Well balanced for the size.

The other two are lite weights, 15 inch, about 23 ounces. Adorable together!

The CAK is 17.5 inches, 27 ounces. It's amazing what .5 inches and 3 ounces make (in comparison to the full size M-43), the CAK feels perfect on my hands.

(update: 2 Biltons on their way soon!)

XX

10. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    That 15"er sounds like a dream. I needs to get me one... One of these days.

11. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    And then there was the rest of the family. Another CAK, and 3 Biltons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Warm welcome to ya XelaXela! Your a long patient lurker aint ya? Glad to have you around! I still dont have an M43 so I cant say much about them. I guess I got used to having a ring on the handle and learned to use it from the beginning and have yet to buy one without that feature. I do like the curved spine and shape of the M43 alot. Someday Ill buy me one and give it a try and I doubt ill regret it. Iv'e yet to regret any HI knife purchase so dont see any reason id regret an M43. I do have a Samsher which is similar and I love that blade. I like the looks of those Biltons too. Im waiting for one with the forge scale on it tho. Grats on the HIKV tho. Your in good hands! Nice AKB too!

13. gtk4158a

gtk4158a Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2014
    My first was an M43. It is a LARGE variant and a serious chopper. I'm always looking but I'm thinking I might like another but a small one. Got to wait until after I get my custom manakamana.

14. Mdinana

Mdinana

Feb 28, 2009
    I actually got rid of a larger M-43 since I couldn't control it well. I still have a smaller 15in, 23 oz one. It was a bit redundant, so sold off the BAS that was same weight (I know, sacrilegious!)

15. XelaXela

XelaXela

Feb 22, 2010
    I had come across a HI CAK that was 22 inch length and must have weight a ton. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. It was quite literally a BEAST. I couldn't control it even with a two hand hold. Fortunately the owner accepted the return. And that's how I came to realize my ideal size: 17.5 inch length, 27 ounce weight (maybe my "camp knife"). The 18 inch, 30 ounce M-43 is pushing my limits, but it's not a BEAST :D (maybe my "chopper"). Not disparaging my lite M-43's, those are def keepers, (perfect for EDC, ha!).

XX