1. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    From drawing in the morning to reality in the evening, i have been wanting to make this shape for awhile now. Forged from 1095, it's got a hamon I need to bring out but I saw it after hardening, very nice and straight and looks real good. I call it maybe, Hari Sasu, for needle stab LOL. Tapers from where the handle meets the blade, thickest is 9/32", 11 1/4" overall, 4 3/8" handle 6 3/4" blade, 1 5/8" wide at the base of the blade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. Makermook

Makermook

Feb 28, 2011
    Looks really...dangerous :) Actually, I like the looks. Not to sound like a dummy, but what's it for? I mean is it a kitchen knife, self defense-type, art knife?

3. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks Mook :)

I sort of designed it after some kitchen knife shapes I have seen, and in that capacity it would perform good for heavier tasks as it's not a razor thin laser slicer, but good for de boning a chicken or heavy chopping. But my intentions on making it were to A make the shape I had been thinking of for awhile that was bugging me, and B to make a new belt knife for myself.

4. indian george

indian george

Feb 15, 1999
    Done Good Bubba:thumbup:Me Like:D

5. Atlas Knife Company

Atlas Knife Company

Feb 16, 2010
    You've been looking at Butch's work, haven't you? Definitely a nice looking kitchen stabber. Anxious to see how you finish the handle.

6. Patrice Lemée

Patrice Lemée

Aug 13, 2002
    Looking good.I see medieval influences in there also. Can't wait to see it finished! :thumbup:

7. Brett Mathews

Brett Mathews

Aug 3, 2008
    I like it, very well done Im sur that hamon will pop too.

8. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I like it Sam, it looks like it is flying through the air at high speed! :D

9. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    I like it... but that inverted swept tanto drawing at the top of your sketch pad is all kinds of cool!!!!

It has inspired me to do something similar... do you mind?

Rick

10. Frank Niro

Frank Niro

Sep 10, 2000
    It's a good piece of work for sure . To me it gives me glimpses of gaucho knives. Frank

11. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks guys! It is very kitchen inspired but fairly thick for kitchen work, outside of deboning things. I made it for a utility knife for the summer.

Rick go ahead, but I stole the idea from Don Fogg:

http://dfoggknives.com/yakuzabowieii.htm

I love to sketch the shape.

12. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Chuck I haven't seen any like this from Butch do you have any pictures? Or do you mean kitchen style knives in general?

Frank, that's an interesting suggestion, I didn't think of that until you mentioned it and now I think the same.

13. dsloan

dsloan

Feb 27, 2008
    I like it Sam. Simple and straight forward.

Dave from Diller

14. jonnymac44

jonnymac44

Sep 27, 2007
    Nice Sam! Love the aggressive shape of this blade. Looks like it might turn out to be a sweet slicer.

15. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks guys!

16. Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Aug 6, 2007
    Mostly done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  17. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    That looks cool, Sam.... call it the "Kitcheninja" or sumphin.

18. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    I like it! I was hoping to see a wrap on it, looks like the drawing. Great lines all around, cool.

19. ernestrome

ernestrome

Jan 25, 2006
    Love the blade shape. Would make a great kitchen boner or utility, minus the cord wrap.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  20. shotgunner

shotgunner

May 19, 2010
    Sorry, I just had to quote the words kitchen boner. That is all.