1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

newbie knife making question

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by Sgt_Bobbo, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Sgt_Bobbo

Sgt_Bobbo

May 21, 2012
    So I have just started making my very first knife (well second actually but the first one went south wile beveling). I have a question regarding using files. I cannot seem to get a perfectly flat 90 degree edge. This includes the spine, belly, and handle areas. The look good from a foot away but upon further inspection I can see that it cants the tiniest amount. I do not have a belt grinder so I am using double cut and single cut files. I keep going side to side till I think it looks good but then its off somewhere else. I have read about the proper way to hold and use the file so I believe I am doing it right but it seems I will lose to much metal if I keep going at it like I am :confused:

Anybody have any suggestions? Ill post a picture of my progress so far.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

1.jpg

2. duurza

duurza

Jul 4, 2015
    Refer to this image: [​IMG]

If you are holding the point and tang and using the face at the center of the file to remove material, then you are causing the file the arc downwards as you push down onto the metal (the metal at the center pushes back up).

You could:

A) Use less force per stroke. You will need a lot more strokes to remove the same amount of material.

B) Use a shorter file. This has to do with the "bending" of the file. When I worked on profiling my sword, I used a single cut 10" Nicholson file to draw file (technically pushing with both hands) to do the primary beveling. Once in a while, I would put a straight edge against the surface to see if it were perfectly flat. If not, I would switch to my single cut 6" file to fix it up.

Hope this helps.

3. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    look in to draw filing. Use a small single cut file (three side file is what I prefer)
    It is slow and gives a lot of control.
    File first with you big double cut bastards and then straighten it by drawfiling

Then start with 120 grit sandpaper around a sanding block

Nice looking knife profile BTW