Next knife for the rotation?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by John_94, Jun 4, 2020.

1. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    Been trying to move up to that next tier of knives. So far I have a Spyderco shaman, benchmade griptillian 551-1, 940-2, spydiechef and other knives in that range. Just bought a crk Umnumzaan and should be receiving it tomorrow. But what’s next? Help! Looking at maybe a medford, benchmade anthem, possibly a hinderer but just want to know what else is out there, under $600 Or I might save up for a medford marauder.

Main importance is fit and finish, and a good warranty. Under 4 inches, would prefer non flipper only knives, no serrations. Those are the only parameters. Let me know if I missed something

2. Matty10

Matty10

Apr 15, 2020
    This is obviously completely up for debate as anyone will recommend what they like.

I personally don’t have a budget range of up to $600 so I apologize if my recommendations are maybe a bit below what you’re expecting. Alas I digress...

The Benchmade Mini Crooked River would be near the top, the handle in my opinion looks stunning, my choice would be for either the Blue handle with the DLC 20CV blade or the Dymonwood handle with the same DLC but M4 blade steel.

Probably not on the high end but what about a Bugout? Benchmade hit the nail on the head I think for an ultra light weight knife and it seems to be one of the things your collection is currently missing?

I noticed your collection is lacking of a PM2 if you’ve got the pocket for it then the Spyderco PM2 Blurple with S110V steel has a following of people that love it, the handle isn’t for me, but the steel definitely is.

I think a Chris Reeve knife Small Sebenza would be awesome to have. The 2.95” blade length is appealing and who doesn’t like Micarta scales?

Something makes me a little uncomfortable about the handle layout of the Benchmade Anthem, I haven’t done enough research or handled one to be able to say if its bad or not worth the amount you may choose to spend on it but it gives me an uneasy feeling.

I may be a little off the pace by staying well under the $600 mark, but I think you can get as good or better knifes for $200 then some may be at $600.

Good Luck in your hunt for the next addition.

guy g likes this.
  3. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Do you have an SAK to go along with your EDC?

Therom and Lee D like this.
  4. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    With a Zaan, Shaman, Sebbie 21 and perhaps a Spydie Gayle Bradley 2, Slysz Bowie and a Spydie Chaparral (for ltwt superb slicer), I'd be pretty happy.
    I've gone higher... customs up to mid-$700's....found nothing!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  5. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    Update! So far the knives I own are a beater pm2 for work, Spyderco shaman, Spydiechef, native 5, salt, benchmade 940-2, benchmade grip drop point 20cv and g10 scales, ZT 0562 in g10 and s35vn, ZT 0620, crk zaan, hinderer xm18 3.5 harpoon spanto, and I just bought a bugout with copper flytanium scales so that should come in soon.

Matty10 likes this.
  6. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Check out the Spartan Blades brand. The Harsey is awesome. I have the paisley edition. I also own the Pallas and love it.

Techno and GIRLYmann like this.
  7. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    Buy a Superfreek. I've learned over the years that $'s spent don't necessarily equal quality (i.e. "next tier"). I, and others, have been disappointed with the Anthem for example. IMO the Superfreek may well be the finest knife Benchmade produces.....didn't think so when I bought it but I do now. Or you can just pick up a Shiro on the exchange: they're well made "next tier" knives but my excitement with them waned once I put a couple in the safe. Good luck! Sometimes the chase can be more fun and more exciting than the conclusion.:)

8. John_94

John_94

Apr 27, 2020
    I’ve had my eye on the superfreek for a while. The aesthetics are awesome and I love m4. And really? I was planning on getting the anthem. The solid one piece titanium sounds amazing. But now that I think of it, is it possible to take apart and maintain?

9. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Sanity Not Included Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Brian Tighe. He makes great stuff, including his midtech line Brian Tighe and friends.

Matt Bailey is another custom maker in your price range and I love his knives.

10. Matty10

Matty10

Apr 15, 2020
    That’s part of the uneasy feeling I get toward the anthem. I think its maybe the fact that it runs on a coil spring to operate the axis lock? (Maybe thats a bit of traditionalist in me) something just doesn’t look right. However I didn’t say feel right because I don’t have the experience of handling it.

The Superfreek is sweet! Would be a great addition and thought about mentioning that, great add @elde66

who doesn’t love the chase!

elde66 likes this.
  11. Bracken

Bracken

Jul 5, 2020
    John_94 would you be willing to part with your zt 0620. I’ve been looking for one and they get snatched too quickly

John_94 likes this.
  12. Jcsixx01

Jcsixx01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Look through the edc/new acquisitions/pic threads. Find something that appeals to you. Search for the specs to ensure that any blade that catches your eye meets your needs.

John_94 likes this.
  13. kylemiller

kylemiller Basic Member Basic Member

May 18, 2016
    Medford is doing amazing work right now. Got a Praetorian Slim on the way, but I would start with something in his standard thickness to get a good feel. They're all ground delightfully thin at the edge and put together very well. Got a USMC Fighter Flipper and a Midi Marauder MEFP (0.19") and they're up there with the best I've ever handled.

John_94 and MacLaren1 like this.
  14. Mako109

Mako109

Dec 17, 2008
    I use the knives I collect. So to me asking what kind of knife to buy with little other info than non-flipper, under 4" and under $600 is like asking what kind of shoes to buy with only the parameters of size 10, no buckles and under $600. Your answers will be all over the place...basketball shoes, backpacking boots, runners, flip flops, etc.. I think some of us can provide more meaningful recommendations if you can provide some use case scenarios. For example, urban EDC, hiking, camping, gardening, warehouse work, construction work, etc., etc.

If your interest in knives is just in collecting that's fine, but establishing some kind of theme(s) will help. For example, certain types of steel, lock types, handle materials, even just color, country of make, etc, etc..

John_94 likes this.
  15. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    I really, really, love this Medford 187 DP in 3V!
    And, it's $475 - a DLT Exclusive......no tax ;)
    This.....i think would be an excellent intro to MKT.
    [​IMG]

John_94 likes this.
  16. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    I love DLT, but they charge me tax. If I buy direct from Medford, they don’t charge me sales tax. For a Californian, the difference is 10% (which is not fully offset by the DLT reward points). So it normally comes down to wanting immediate gratification or a DLT exclusive

For the OP, DLT just had a run of Non-flipper Hinderer XM-18 3.5” fullered which may meet your criteria.

John_94, Therom and MacLaren1 like this.
  17. MacLaren1

MacLaren1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2014
    IF you live in California.
    DLT has never charged me tax. I live in NC
    I hate they charge you tax....that sux.

John_94 and Troutzill like this.
  18. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    How do you like the Umnumzaan? If you like the general style and feel, I would recommend consideration of a Sebenza 21 Insingo, perhaps one of the carbon fiber versions while they are still available. The 21 has just been discontinued, but Insingos are still readily available enough here and from select retailers. The blade shape is vastly different to the knives you currently have, and my (not professional opinion whatsoever) is that it is both one of the ugliest and one of the most useful blades to ever go on a folding knife. The Insingo blade works so well for me that I can't even carry my drop point CRKs anymore... :(

19. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    The non flipper XM-18 3.5 from Hinderer would fit your criteria

you can look for a Koenig MIni Goblin or Aerius for just under $600

A small inkosi you be nice too but you better have to try it before buying it since the short handle may not be to your liking

DLT has some nice slim mini marauder in s90v that may be tempting ;)

What about TRM Atom or Neutron for something light but still full size?

John_94 likes this.
  20. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    That is quite the collection you have so far. Congrats!

You have officially left my price range of knives a loooong time ago so I won't recommend anything.