1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Next progect:

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by 120 Acres, Jan 19, 2017.

1. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Slapped it on the bandsaw last night. Took it back down to just the steel. Starting over...

2. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    Correct I think the wood was not dry. But I also think using end grain wood is a big factor in it cracking. With end grain there is a good chance the wood will crack even if the wood is dry.

3. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Ok, still a work in progress, but here's a little taste...

My new handle material,... Pasture Wood!

[​IMG]

Still got to put the finishing touches on it. Got quite a few mistakes on it, for this knife was only touched by my hands this time. (my true first) I know quite a few things NOT to do next time now.

4. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
    I like the shape you're going with, shame about the last set of scales. What is Pasture Wood? Did you get it locally?

5. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Yes, my buddy has some horses out back...

It's horsesh*t mixed with resin.

6. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    :D
    Well that's about as local and home made as you can get!
    Where are you located at?

7. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Long. Ever heard of it?

It's just south of Short.

You? Wait, lemme guess. OKC (everyone is from OKC)

8. mitch4ging

Jun 16, 2015
    Yes, I've heard of it. We go to Wister and Cedar Lake alot. I retired from DPS, and been in that area as well working. Yes, I'm in the Moore/OKC area now, moved here after getting out of the army. Originally out of Arapaho, west part of the state.

9. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    I finished my pasture wood knife.

My actual first knife that no other hands touched through the process. Some mistakes of course, but I know what not to do next time!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  10. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Ha!

Showed it to a guy at work, he just had to have it. Sold my first knife.

11. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Congratulations, you've just sold horsesh*t ;)

12. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Zactly!

13. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    OT:
    Back in the 1970's, my best friend was going into the Air Force. We were throwing him a big party, and asked him what kind of stuff he wanted. He replied, "Any kind if shi! is OK with me." I passed the word, and he received lovely wrapped boxes of dog, cat, goat, sheep, and horse shi!. I gave the caretaker at our zoo a shoebox and $20 for two elephant turds. I dried them in silica gel and impregnated them with clear-cast. He had them for years ... maybe he still does. Oh, we also gave him a gift certificate to the local uniform shop, so he could get his shi! together.

14. 120 Acres

120 Acres

Jan 5, 2017
    Oh, man that's awesome.

15. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Nice !!
    So whats your workshop name gonna be...
    Crap Cutlery ? Fecal Forge ?

120 Acres likes this.
  16. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    Stacy, that must have been one heck of a party.
    Want to repeat Stacy's thoughts; never ever, ever, use end grain for a knife handle, it just doesn't work.
    Knife looks good.