Nick Shabazz goes over the 100k YouTube subscriber mark

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Apr 1, 2020.

1. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Oh, I'm subscribed to AKB...he's the only YouTube reviewer worth watching to me. His beer reviews are awesome, especially his King Cobra malt liquor review. Being an NYC native, King Cobra is a staple of my youth.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  2. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    The best review of a knife is to take your chances and buy it and use it because it will look cool in your collection either way!

DangerZone98 and Dallas T like this.
  3. I like Nick. He's very self-aware on how his opinions influence his reviews. If you think his voice is annoying, definitely avoid his older reviews, because they're extra nasally. As someone who works in an office and who doesn't use a knife for anything more intense than breaking down cardboard , I find his similar use and taste to be relevant to me.

I'm pretty sure his description of tactical knives and use of the word "murdery" are a nod to how "non-knife-people" perceive that type of knife. He frequently uses the office lunchroom example of whether people will be freaked out if you decide to whip out a particular knife to cut an apple. And yes, most non-knife-people will find the ZT0452 to be "murdery" looking.

As for the Delica, he's said that, while he has recommended the Delica, it's been surpassed within the Spyderco lineup through age and price inflation. He says he prefers the Native 5 LW and the Para3 LW. The Delica sticks around in his reviews for size comparison purposes because it's very commonly owned and is an understood relative size for knife collectors.

Go to 4:40 for his discussion of the Delica.

Rykjeklut likes this.
  4. RoyalHolic

RoyalHolic

Aug 3, 2019
    I can't get into nutnfancy, he's fine and I've watched quite a few of his videos but idk "meh' I guess.

Another guy that churns them out is LTK, he's straight to the point and does all ranges, I appreciate his channel a lot as he sends off high end knives to keep QC in check.

Seesteel likes this.
  5. FullMetalJackass

FullMetalJackass Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 10, 2016
    I don't trust influencers as I don't believe in their honesty. It's marketing travesty to me.

My only source of influence is the vox populi of all of us forum peons, that take time to write honest comments about our knives, and answer questions in PM.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    willc likes this.
  6. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    I still don't like his super over-emphasized "Noo Yawk Joo-ish ecksent" voice he does in order to conceal his actual identity*, and I don't share his opinions on most knives, so I stopped watching his reviews a long, long time ago. His opinion of flippers alone means I automatically dismiss anything he has to say about any knife with that feature as worthless. That said, I occasionally have used his disassembly videos in the past, but I always do it with the sound off. That's about it.

I don't hate, or like him. Good for him, and his followership numbers.

* for some friggin' reason

7. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    That's rather what I imagine one incarnation of Hell would be like. LOL

WValtakis and sabre cat like this.
  8. SavageSick

SavageSick Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I remember watching his videos when he had under 100 subs.

He's very legit as he puts forth a great deal of effort and consideration into his videos.

Like anybody, there's a degree of bias, but if you're a mindful collector/connoisseur, you already look past that.

9. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    Back of the Wuhand ? :D

DangerZone98 and UmnumMAN like this.
  10. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    This.

I like his videos for the quality production value and the disassembly. I don't often agree with his opinions and he certainly has his own predictable bias. Another problem is he doesn't do fixed blades much. He must be doing something right though, because I still watch....

11. Lodd

Lodd Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Even though we don't share the same taste in knives, I do occasionally watch his videos. At least he supports his opinions with proper arguments. His systematic breakdowns of a knife are pretty good, too.

It's easy to diss on youtubers like Nick, but I don't see you doing what Nick's doing. Sometimes when I wanna find reviews of an obscure knife, I only find 'reviews' that are more like a commercial. Or reviews that are just some guy rambling. Or are just an unboxing.

The point is, it can be a lot worse. And at least Nick's video are informative.

Dallas T likes this.
  12. rileybassman1

rileybassman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2012
    I enjoy Nick... I'm fairly comfortable in knowing what I like in knives and am OK with people having different opinions... him included. For example, I like my Shiro Neon Zero tremendously.. albeit I'm slightly annoyed with the clip still - but not to the level that he is. The opposite is also true... he loves his TRM atom and neutron... I have had both and sorta liked them... but just couldn't love them - for ME my 20CV bugout does everything the atom does just slightly better... but that's just me :)

I appreciate knife reviewers and it's entertainment that doesn't cost me anything... Nick, Slicey Dicers, Metal Complex, C&A ... I enjoy many others. The one I really can't stand anymore is Nutn...

Seesteel likes this.
  13. josiahg52

josiahg52 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Nobody's dissing him. Even those that don't necessarily subscribe to him or like his style admit his disassembly videos are appreciated. Some expressed a desire for him to slow down and show the knife more. That's why I like TheApostleP, for example. He will show the knife alongside several knives - usually one or two that I have - which is helpful. But both are biased and have their hangups, things they fixate on. Stating these things is hardly a dis. I don't necessarily like Nick or his style but I still watch his videos and subscribe to none of these reviewers or influencers.

14. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Yeah, don't do that. That's poor logic, and it's not a good look. Neither I nor anyone else here needs to be a reviewer on Youtube with a following to be able to share an opinion on Nick, or anyone or anything else.

15. Lodd

Jan 23, 2015
    With due respect, I don't need you telling me what to do or not to do.

'To diss on' someone is not the same thing as to share an opinion. And sharing an opinion does not exempt you from the consequences.

JDRanger likes this.
  16. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    This was the case for me for the Dutch Blade Works Xerxes. At least, his is the only in depth review in English that I could find. His review of the knife was very positive and I've found that I definitely agree with him on this particular knife. I didn't have much else to lean on before making that purchase, so his input was very helpful in that situation.

Unfortunately, the knife still doesn't seem to get much attention and I'm worried it'll fade out of the knife community's memory soon. It's such a well thought out design and incredibly well made

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Quiet

Oct 11, 2013
    Well, if the consequences are your poor logic, then it'd be better if you spared us. For someone who attempted to censor others, your poor logic continues. "To diss"? What? What does that even mean? Sure looks like it means "Stop saying bad things about someone I like". Tell me, is there a specific job I should have had success in before I am "allowed" to point out the shortcomings in your attempted censorship, or no? :)

Bad logic, and vulnerable feelings are a bad mix.

josiahg52 and neo71665 like this.
  18. soc_monki

soc_monki Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 5, 2019
    I like him. He makes me laugh. He also taught me about taking just the blade out of a Benchmade so you don't have to worry about tons of parts by completely disassembling the knife. I'm not a brilliant man... But at least I don't have shabazz hands!

19. Lodd

Jan 23, 2015
    Why are you making all these assumptions about me? I have no particular feelings about Nick Shabazz. I never attempted to censor anyone. You are reading things into this that I never said or meant.

My post even states that:

By all means, feel free to share your opinion or criticisms. I simply feel that such opinions or criticisms tend to be better informed when one takes into account the effort that goes into producing a well-thought out knife review in the form of a youtube video.

This sounds like it's becoming a personal issue, and surely there is no call for that?

My post stands. It does not interfere with your ability to post. Nor was it meant to. Let's leave it at that and stop polluting the thread.

Edit: interpunction.

20. wickettedge

wickettedge Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I really have appreciated Nick and his channel. I don't watch him as much anymore because I have figured out what I like/dislike, but when I was getting into the hobby, it was very helpful.

Nick's channel helped me find BF if I remember right. Glad to be with you fine folks.

Seesteel and Lodd like this.