Nick Shabazz goes over the 100k YouTube subscriber mark

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDRanger, Apr 1, 2020.

1. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Wait, 90% of the time he is 100% right? :confused:

:p

Addicted_to_Knives likes this.
  2. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Well ol Nick's videos are great for clearing out a room! I'll crank him up on the tv and within a few minutes everyone will leave the room literally! Lol I used to watch him some but he really doesn't use a knife. He carries it to the office ,opens mail and easy things. Pretty much any kind of knife would work for him.
    I'm a carpenter and my job I can beat the crap out of a knife. So what works for him might not for me.. I really enjoyed his video where he had the mudd knife outside buried under water. I couldn't get the springs back in my mini grip, and his video helped me with that. So I guess Nick's ok??

VernonRemington likes this.
  3. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Like his videos or not...but here's another protracted thread that will certainly garner more of an audience for his channel.o_O

Rykjeklut likes this.
  4. Seesteel

Seesteel Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Well, it's not a secret that he's an office person not a survivalist... with more than 100k Youtube Subscribers. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  5. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    He and I have very different opinions on and uses for folding knives, so I take most of what he says with a rather large grain of salt. That said, I enjoy his videos because I find him personable, humble and funny, which are practically unique traits in any Youtube personality, much less one that deals with knives or gear.

patrickguignot likes this.
  6. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I've only watched a handful or so of his videos and I know that he said that he is a scientist that has something to do with acoustics. Maybe he works for Bose?

7. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    True. I also find him intelligent and articulate. Those are two things that most of YouTube cannot offer. Like I said, I don't often agree, but I am at least able to follow the logic and am not made dumber for having watched.

Insipid Moniker and Frailer like this.
  8. Wannabe Rambo Guy

Wannabe Rambo Guy

Feb 11, 2020
    Producer for the next WuTang banger I heard

9. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    I enjoy his content and in my opinion, he does a great job. He is engaging, informative and passionate about knives. As far as hand gestures go.....that is part of his communication style and that is cool with me. I also admire anyone that is willing to put themselves out there for the world like that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    JDRanger and 000Robert like this.
  10. ArchVV

ArchVV Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 8, 2015
    I'm still convinced he's actually Kripke from Big Bang Theory. The actor is John Ross Bowie, so it all makes sense really :p

goldie likes this.
  11. falar

falar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I take anyone on youtube with a grain of salt. They are on there for a reason and they all have an agenda, some put it out there for everyone to see while others keep it more hidden.

I have watched some of his videos (however, sans sound) to get a closer look at a knife I may be interested in. That's pretty much the only thing I use youtube videos for; to get closer look at something I couldn't otherwise before spending the money while disregarding the "review" or even muting the sound. In this case it's mute every time because the Gilbert Goddfried/Bobcat voice is grating and some of his commentary is very.....how do I put this tactfully.....beta male.

12. Korean Hog

Korean Hog Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Nick Shabazz always seemed like he'd be good for people that aren't really all that into knives and don't really intend to be.
    He definitely has more in depth stuff for the true knife nerds, like his disassembly videos.
    What I mean is, most of us on Blade Forums have held and used enough knives that we can usually look at the specs and shape of a knife without
    even getting the knife in hand and we know if it'd be worth a try or not.
    For example, you might look at a knife and all the specs look pretty good until you notice it's made from 1/4" blade stock with a short saber grind and you already know it won't be the best slicer.
    Or, you look at a knife and everything looks good until you notice it has almost a 5" blade with barely a 4" handle and you pretty well know it's going to be uncomfortable.

If you know knives, these are somewhat extreme examples and most knives aren't made this way without a specific reason which would negate the type of general usage most of us seek in a blade.
    What's common knowledge for knife fanatics and tradesman, that use utility style blades everyday, is world's away for city slickers that work in a cubicle, and I think that's where Shabazz comes in.
    He may very well be expanding the high end knife market to the cubicle world, but for those of us that truly need a knife every day "stabby" and "frickin huuge" is the friggin point because we have a lot of friggin work to do.

13. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    I like the looks of the Kershaw Launch 1.

14. Korean Hog

Mar 12, 2017
    Me too, from the looks of what I read and saw on Blade HQ this knife looks like it'd make an excellent EDC.
    Fun too being that it's an auto

000Robert likes this.
  15. 000Robert

Mar 28, 2020
    That's what I was thinking. I'll have to get one of them!

Korean Hog likes this.
  16. Korean Hog

Mar 12, 2017
    Don't want to derail this thread completely so last post about the Launch 1, but hunt one down in a cool/ exclusive color for an extra bit of fun!

000Robert likes this.
  17. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    Kripke ! that's great I guess he woves knives...

ArchVV likes this.
  18. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Knives obviously fit people's hands differently. A more objective description is to say that the opening is narrower than other common frame locks and it might pose a problem for some people. It does feel narrower to me, but it's not uncomfortable or painful for my hand, so it's not a big deal to me.

I own this knife. I've flipped it non-stop while watching shows. I wouldn't want jimping on mine as it's very comfortable to flip open for me. I don't need to press hard at all. This complaint may be a matter of variation in quality control. If yours works the way mine does, I simply don't understand the complaint.

This is a matter of personal preference. People on this forum seem to be particularly concerned about knives made in China. My concern is on the design and how well made it is based on cost. The knife I have is easily a higher quality than some of my American made knives. A comparable knife made in the US would cost more than $380. Plain Sebenzas cost a little bit more, but I have a Sebenza and want variety. They certainly don't make anything like the Xerxes. The design is one of the things that draws me in for this knife. It's designed by 2 amazing custom makers. Especially at this price range, I wouldn't limit my search to the chemical composition of the steel and the country of manufacturing.

The color is another matter of personal preference. Again, a plain large Sebenza costs a bit more and it's essentially the same color. The satin finish on the Sebenza's blade might be a plus for people too, but that's another matter of personal preference. I'm okay with the way it is, but it's also nice to know that I can have the frame anodized to personalize it if I want to change it up.

So my experience with mine closely matches the general impression Nick had based on his review.

19. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    My guess is that a very large portion of forum members that watch Nick do so more for entertainment than anything else.

I know that I fall within that group.

WValtakis, Korean Hog and JDRanger like this.
  20. JDRanger

JDRanger Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 14, 2017
    I appreciate that he brings knives to my attention that I would otherwise never be aware of.

A vast majority of them I’d never purchase but I like knowing about them.

I mostly like his sense of humor and humility.

His review on the CRKT Wrinkle (looks like a turd when folded shut) is a classic. I also get a kick out of his reviews on “gas station” cheap knives. I bought a Z-Hunter as a joke for my son and it really does suck.

But sometimes too much of a good thing can be bad and lately I’ve found his reviews and jokes to be wearing thin.

Anyway, I’m glad his channel is available and I was happy to see him have the success of hitting the 100k mark.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    sabre cat likes this.