No love for the Endela?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Jack3dBrett, May 7, 2020.

1. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016
    The Endela has been out for at least a year now if im not mistaking and weve yet to see any sprint or exclusive for it and im wondering why? We just saw that a K390 Delica and Endura is on the way but still nothing for an Endela. Retailers are missing an opportunity to be the first one to do an exclusive. Id like to see a gray FRN and cru wear blade or a teal S30V run. Or something that hasnt been done before in the Delicas or Enduras. Tan scales with S30 or S35VN? Anything other than black frn with vg10. Someone make it happen. Preferably not BBS because I dont want to spend an extra $30 for shipping and tax. Thats all for now rant over.

7east likes this.
  2. M. Johnwell

M. Johnwell

Jan 8, 2015
    I’ve been waiting for a sprint/limited edition/interesting steel that catches my fancy to grab one of these as well. Perhaps it doesn’t sell well enough to warrant becoming a sprint?

3. rak2

rak2

Mar 17, 2016
    It certainly must be a challenge for the folks at Spyderco to determine what to produce. There are so many models and combinations of materials and feature to choose from for future variations. And that's just the start. Certainly there must be behind the scenes challenges with available materials, supply sources plus internal challenges with marketing and business decisions. Meanwhile it seem like their success in creating the availability of a wide variety of models, features, and materials has given us customers (fans) a large expectation level for more and more. Good news for Spyderco that their success has created some pent up customer demand. Seems at times illogical or even a little crazy - I have some very high quality (semi-expensive) Spyderco's that I _never_ use, yet, yet, I come to the forums every day hoping to find news of a certain new Endela variation.

4. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The ONLY reason I have not bought one is that I have Delicas and Enduras in VG10. If they upgraded the steel I’d buy one without a doubt.

5. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    Its because there was no point in it ever being created. Seriously lost on Spyderco's decisions over the last years. If the delica was to small, you had the endura. If the endura was to big, you had the delica. To put a new one between for a whole .34 inch difference just made it have zero interest for me.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    matt009au, kreole and sharp_edge like this.
  6. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Because it doesn't sell, I wouldn't be surprised to find it on the disco'd list in the next two years.

John_0917, matt009au, mdrgn79 and 2 others like this.
  7. MarkN86

MarkN86

Sep 3, 2012
    I find the Endura slightly too big, the Endela shortens it up so it's just about right. Also, there are places where the limit is 3.5" (like Colorado) so legality is an issue.

8. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016
    Yeah I was hoping this wasnt the case.

9. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016

With you on that. I think there is a portion of people who are waiting on the exact same thing to pick one up.

10. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Rak2,

Welcome to our forum.

There will be a K390 version.

Hi Yo Mama, Cscotttsss,

The Endela is selling just fine and I don't see any disco plans in the future. There were many reasons to add the 3.5" blade version of the Endura family.

sal

7east, Bigfattyt, Sigsog226 and 16 others like this.
  11. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Well, I stand corrected, straight from the person who would know best.

Thanks

orangejoe35 likes this.
  12. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018

Sal, can you share any details about the heat treatment with your k390? Or the target hardness / cryo / tempering cycles etc? I know us knife knuts will be loving it, but anytime I see a steel with 2.5% carbon I get a bit worried about toughness : )

Great selection/lineup/reveals recently, thanks!

13. rak2

rak2

Mar 17, 2016
    Thank you Sir. Looking forward to it.

14. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Dirc,

We keep it hard, but it's a tough steel. I don't think I'd worry about it.

sal

15. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    I will buy a K390 Endela. I love the steel so far. It wasn't in the latest Reveal but I am glad to know it is coming.

16. yorck1976

yorck1976 Basic Member Basic Member

May 31, 2017
    Great to hear that a K390 Endela is coming!

Is there any update when the waved Endela will be available?

17. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011
    I didn't say it wasn't selling well, I hope it does because I love Spyderco! I do think it was an odd choice based on there being options already with the delica and endura.

18. Sal Glesser

Dec 27, 1998
    Hi Yo Mama,

I can see where you might think that. Though we really think about stuff like that when we decide to make an "in-between" model. In this case, many laws have changed about blade length and social perception has also changed. For years, a 4.0" blade was normal and common. Not so any more.

sal

sliceofaloha, Yo Mama and Dadpool like this.
  19. Jack3dBrett

Jack3dBrett

Jan 1, 2016
    Sal thanks so much for your input here.

20. loon#r

loon#r Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Definitely buying the K390 version.