1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Nonthreatening looking EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Baron Mind, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    I'm in the market for a nonthreatening looking pocket knife. Threatening isn't really what I'm worried about, it's just the most descriptive word I could come up with.

I want something kind of plain, simple, and unassuming. A good old fashioned pocket knife, but not a traditional slip joint.

The Spyderco Brouwer is what I'm leaning towards atm, but there are a few things I don't love about it, so I figured I'd ask for recommendations before I pull the trigger.

Thanks!

2. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    How about a Swiss Army knife of some flavor? A great non-threatening knife!

jbmonkey, jacksterp, Pomsbz and 8 others like this.
  3. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    The Spyderco Sage series might be of interest, especially the Sage 2. Titanium frame lock. I’m partial to the Sage 5 though, the compression lock model. The original Sage, the liner lock, is a good fit too.

Hell, they’re all pretty great, haha.

4. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    So many choices at that price range

Paramilitary 2 or Para 3 not to your liking? That would be my pick for spyderco. Maybe a manix

Benchmade Freak is plain looking beyond the handle. I like the profile on that one (edit - aesthetically never held it)

The Doug Ritter Hogue is one I've been thinking about recently. That you would have to wait on tho https://www.knifeworks.com/knives/rskmk1g2.html

I would just recommend getting something with an ergonomic lock you can quickly deploy and close if you want. Very nice to be able to do some very basic task and be able to put the knife back in your pocket without any real conscious thought and move on

Plenty of plain jane blades out there with locks that fit the bill.

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Cold Steel Grik

willc likes this.
  6. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    GEC Axis Lock

/s

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    jkwithawave and BigWillie like this.
  7. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    Yea the Sage is definitely in the mix. I would love a Sage 2. They're discontinued of course, but I'm sure theres one available on the secondary market somewhere. I was favoring the 1 over the 5, but I think the CF on the 1 looks a little plasticky/like a sticker. Sage 5 is a solid option.

8. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    I have PM2s and Para 3's. I like them both, just want something different, something a little less aggressive looking.

I do want a freek/minifreek at some point, but it's not quite the aesthetic I'm after right now.

BigWillie likes this.
  9. BigWillie

BigWillie

Jun 4, 2019
    yea the handle isn't exactly plain....That's why i haven't bought one

10. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    In my office, I carry a titanium handled Spyderco Chaparral and a Vic Pioneer 90% of the time. Both are very...non-threatening in appearance.

Have you explored the traditional knife rabbit hole yet? Hard to find a threatening looking bone scaled slip joint.

11. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Rat2

MBNortham likes this.
  12. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    Chap is a good one. I plan on picking up the new Sun and Moon Chaparall whenever that drops, and that would probably do the trick, but I don't know that I can wait that long!

And no, I've almost took the dive a few times, but have managed to resist! Last time I was close I picked up a Spyderco Roadie instead. Satisfied my need while only leaving me a little deeper inside my current Spyderco rabit hole lol.

19-3ben likes this.
  13. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious?

Dec 25, 2012
    How about a classic Buck, the 112, but dressed up in micarta, S30V, with a thumb stud and a pocket clip. Something old, something new, a thin knife with a 3" blade clocking in at under 3oz:

[​IMG]

Tjstampa, AntDog, 19-3ben and 2 others like this.
  14. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Case Mini Copperlock, Copperlock, and Tribal Lock.

Fire Beard and 19-3ben like this.
  15. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Boker Urban Trapper perhaps.....

Sedit likes this.
  16. not2sharp

not2sharp Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 1999
    "nonthreatening" is about the user, not the knife. It is more about how you comport yourself with the tool, than the tool itself.

n2s

WValtakis, herisson and Lapedog like this.
  17. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    Yea, like I said, I'm not actually worried about being perceived as a threat, it's just so happens that the features I'm looking for are often described as non threatening. I thought it would help people understand the look I'm interested in.

archieblue and Lapedog like this.
  18. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Maybe something sheepsfooty? Very non-threatening blade shape, much less than a clip point anyway.

Pomsbz, onekerf and Baron Mind like this.
  19. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Something with a colored handle, Delica, Dragonfly 2, Bugout are all great choices IMO.

Baron Mind likes this.
  20. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Lil lionspy was my friendliest looking knife. That chode point was too round for me but my wife hates knives and is terrified of everything and she thought it was cute.