Norlunds

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Perfessr, May 3, 2010.

1. Perfessr

Perfessr

Jan 14, 2004
    I have 2 small Hudson bay style small axes the are stamped Genuine Norlund. they are a nice light axe with a 24" handle, has anybody heard of them and how are they rated.

here is more info
    I have these as my camping/canoeing choppers, the 2 large ones are a Hudson Bay pattern by Norlund and the 2 small ones are a Plumb Boy Scout hatchet and a Craftsman carpenters hatchet.
    Anybody ever heard of these Norlunds?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  2. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    Ive used a Norlund camp axe for 42 years and so far it has held up just fine.

3. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    This one has always been a favorite.

[​IMG]

Jeff

4. savagesicslayer

savagesicslayer

May 24, 2005
    My buddy has one.A hatchet.I re handled it for him with a Cold Steel Hawk handle.Great little axe.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is side by side in it's original state with my Snow and nealley Hudson bay.
    [​IMG]

5. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    42 Years of service....Say's alot right there !

6. Murphyslaw

Murphyslaw

Aug 13, 2008
    Jeff,

Is that the original haft? If not, where did you get the replacement haft?

I have 2 Norlunds that need rehalving.

Chris

7. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    It's not the original haft. The original was around 28", and just right, but in unsafe condition. When I looked for a replacement I could only find longer hafts that had the proper fit in the head. Since it was all I could find I decided to roll with it. I tried it with the longer shaft, but it just didn't swing right so I cut it down to it's original length. Now the haft is fairly straight along it's full length, but it feels pretty good. The replacement haft was from the local hardware. Just sanded and oiled.

Jeff

8. Murphyslaw

Murphyslaw

Aug 13, 2008
    Thanks for the info.

Chris

9. Perfessr

Perfessr

Jan 14, 2004
    I re-halved one of mine and I got it fro the local Ace hardware and it is a nice 24", just a mite short but very serviceable.