1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

'NOS' PAPER LABEL 'KELLY' with lots o' PICS!

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by bearhunter, Oct 24, 2012.

1. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    I recently acquired this old beauty for a very fair price IMO!
    It came out of an old hardware store in Wisconsin that was in buisness in the late 1800's and into the 1900's. When the store went out of buisness, what was left in the store was brought to the owners home. The items eventually went to auction recently. This axe was in the auction. When it was purchased at auction, it was wrapped in paper and burlap and then tied with twine. Mr. Tom Lamond said that he believes that that was the way the were shipped in the old days.
    He also said that the paper label on this perticular axe was used by 'Kelly' right after they moved operations to Charleston, WV. in 1904. He believes this label was used up until the late teens to early 20's. Its hard to see in the pics, but the letters on the label are raised. Its actually a pretty intricate design.
    So... enjoy the pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am going to mount it on this slap of old wood and hang it on a wall in our cabin. I think it will make a nice addition to the room ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say, I am tickled to death to have found a 'brand new' axe that is possible a hundred years old. It is definatly an amazing axe!

Thanks for looking :)

2. coreboy

coreboy

Apr 29, 2012
    wow ! thats super sweet ! ! great find !
    what do u define as very fair price. i'm thinking 75 is fair....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    soooo jealous

4. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Holy crap! That's amazing. It's absolutely mint. What a score! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    sick ....

6. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    It's beautiful. Thanks for posting.

7. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    Thank you for sharing!

8. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks fellows :)
    I think tomorrow I'm going to chop a little with it and then see how good she works as a splitting wedge. An axe that old and nice needs a mushroomed poll to make it look 'antique' :D
    Then I'm going to strip the paint off of her :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Don't temp fate.
    [​IMG]

But if you must, I've got a couple of stumps out by the gravel pit that need to be dug up. Wanna try cutting some roots? [​IMG]

10. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Sure Pegs... I'll come over this weekend and chop some roots with you :D

11. CedarEater

CedarEater

Aug 31, 2012
    Thats beautiful!

12. M3mphis

M3mphis

Jan 13, 2011
    She's a beauty, Red! Well done, Sir. It's going to be awesome mounted on that slab.....but you'll always wonder how she'd handle.....:D

13. OutdoorEnvy

OutdoorEnvy

Nov 22, 2011
    WOW!!!! That's amazing. Nice find. That axe will look great on that slab. Seriously cool piece. Thanks for sharing it

14. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks Memphis!
    It should look really nice on that slap. My in-laws gave me (us) a couple of those years ago (I have no idea where they got them). I kept them, thinking that one day I could use them for something.
    I thought that it would pair well with the old axe. I've also got an old 'mint' Collins hatchet with the original handle. I think I'm going to mount it on the slap as well, right below the 'Kelly' (that was Lisa's idea).
    Once I figure out exactly how I'm going to mount them and get them mounted, I'll take some pics and post them.

15. Liam Ryan

Liam Ryan

Sep 26, 2005
    Veery cool! A lot of those old labels were pretty intricate it seems. I suppose it was all about marketing, it was probably a matter of some guy picking the axe with the nicer label. :) Nicer labels were probably displayed more prominently as well.

16. Double Ott

Double Ott

Jan 3, 2011
    Bearhunter, All I can say is ... SWEEEET!!!

Double Ott

17. moosecreektrails

moosecreektrails

Apr 8, 2012
    Nice glad you got it. thought it would bring more when I saw it listed.

18. Arachnotron

Arachnotron

May 17, 2011
    Very nice.

19. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    That is way cool!

20. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    Thanks fellows :)