1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

'nother axe for your info.

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by kronckew, Dec 7, 2014.

1. kronckew

kronckew Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 17, 2003
    late 19c. early 20c. french fire axe. copied from the french 1833 model naval boarding axe.
    major difference is that it does not have the port side metal belt clip

670 grams, Length OA 17in or 42cm., across the head 19cm.
    marked "A Giroult" with the word "DEPOSEE", french for 'registered'. (trademark)

It's a rare French fire axe from around 1900 - a direct descendant of the Boarding axe that it closely resembles.
    It may even have gone to sea as a fire axe in the military but it came after the age of sail.

A. Giroult from Paris operated from approx 1870 - 1930 supplying helmets, buttons, uniforms and equipment
    to the French fire brigade and the military and sold some swords as well.

View attachment 495177 View attachment 495178 View attachment 495179

2. DanTheKnifeMan

DanTheKnifeMan

May 10, 2014
    Very cool kron :) is that a metal sleeve around the neck of the handle?

3. kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    no, they are languets, steel strips that go up either side to strengthen & protect the haft if you miss & over strike the target. they are held by two rivets thru the haft, go up thru the eye and are bent back away from the haft end into recesses, to hold the head on. french axes had the languets fore & aft, british on the sides. here's my not so rare british equivalent.

View attachment 495192

4. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    I'd think the French languets would work better for overstrikes, although the side languets could be used to parry. Languets all around I say!

5. DanTheKnifeMan

DanTheKnifeMan

May 10, 2014
    Ah, that's interesting, I would have thought they'd only put them on the front or all the way around, but I didn't design it so I wouldn't know better haha

6. kronckew

Aug 17, 2003
    exactly. the brits were more bellicose. the french & the rest of europe drive on the right. established in the middle ages, it keeps roads more peaceful as your weapon hand is on the wrong side for engaging a traveller coming in the other direction. tyhe brits drive on the left so your weapon hand is in the middle of the road close enough to attack or defend. same with the brit/french boarding axes where brits thought about using it as a weapon so the languets favour parrying or preventing the haft being cut.the french favour it's main use, which was to clear wreckage or act as a entry tool.

many medieval pole arms, halberds, partisans, war hammers, poll axes, etc had 4 languets, front-back and on the sides. here's one from so. europe circa 1440 (not mine)

View attachment 495347

other's, usually one handed horseman's, had long eye sockets that extended down to serve the same function, or even solid or tubular steel hafts like this dolchstreithammer i got from van helsing's lady-friend anna valerious. (this one IS mine ;))

View attachment 495348