1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

O.T. for the gun folks

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Mark Nelson, May 12, 2004.

1. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson

Feb 21, 2003
  2. Chopsticks

Chopsticks

Jul 1, 2003
    "400-grain soft point or a 325-grain hollow point, with velocities listed at 1800 and 1950 feet-per-second, respectively."

Sounds invigorating! :D I want to try..

After reading up on a bunch of african hunting books, I blew a wad of monaes on this new mauser derived rifle action. Chambered for 416 rigby... :eek:

So now I'm stuck with just this action until I buy a car and a FAL rifle... :grumpy:

3. texalp

texalp

Sep 7, 2001
    Why didn't you get a .303 Brit? They make great .416 rigbys. Al

Edit: Don not shoot from prone position as collar bones are frigile.

4. DannyinJapan

DannyinJapan

Oct 9, 2003
    holy cow i am in love!
    an ar-15 in 50 cal!

5. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    I've read on the periphery for a while about this cartridge- but never looked into it. On the outside it just didn't appeal to me. But after viewing the article, I can see this turns the AR into a neat woods cartridge. Not too strong, but strong enough. I bet it's right there in recoil management and still getting another shot off fairly quick. Lots of people have been crying for a semi auto woods round and here it is.
    The guy who puts the Smith 500 into a semi is going to make some money. I don't know if this platform can support it- not without an entirely re-engineered upper like the 50 Browning version has.

Can anyone tell me though how the case was manufactured?

munk

6. Rusty

Rusty Moderator Moderator

Mar 8, 1999
    Possibly M.A.S.T. ( formerly Bell ) out of Henderson, NV., using their 500 nitro or 50-2&1/2-3&1/4 or 50 basic turned down to rebate ala the 284 Win. case. Just a guess. Another would be the 348 Win case turned down as it's blown out to make the 450 Alaskan and 50 Alaskan. The 416 Rigby is the predecessor of the 378 and 460 Weatherbys except for Roy W, adding a belt and trademark double venturi shoulders.

7. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Turning rims can't be cost effective. But who knows? I don't think it would be hard to find out-

I'm very curious to see what practical limits and rewards there are to the Smith 500 in a carbine. I like the fact the Beowolf is low pressure.
    Gee- you think you could fire DE50's in it as a kind of 'short'? (probably not)

munk

8. Chopsticks

Chopsticks

Jul 1, 2003
    I was reading "Horn of the Hunter" by Robert Ruark!

Harry Selby uses one... :cool:

9. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    IIRC, the brass is stretched .50 AE brass. I gave an article a cursory glance in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement about the Beowulf and how the tac teams love it for it's anti- vehicle capabilities. They put recoil on par with a 20 gauge shotgun. It does look interesting!

-Craig

10. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Basically, modern .45-70 performance in an autoloader.

John