1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

O.T. Movie, "The Fifth Element" Don't know how I missed it.

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yvsa, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Spectre

Spectre

Nov 3, 1998
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the incredible music. The 5th Element has an incredible soundtrack. I went out and bought it as soon as I could!

John

2. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    Good movie,
    but not if you want action,
    low key,
    great wit.
    Helps to be familiar with the Bard's Hamlet.

If you like R&G R Dead
    might also like
    plunkette & macleane
    (which features LOTR's Liv Tyler)

3. ddean

ddean

Mar 26, 2002
    There's not much opera I like,
    but that voice :eek:

I listened carefully.

4. Josh Muller

Josh Muller

Jun 22, 2003
    a note on leon vs. the professional

leon is what i call a perfect film i wish for nothing to be changed in it. i only have maybe 12 films out of everyone that ive seen that i call perfect, and its one of them.

leon = romance drama
    professional = action

when you watch leon, the hit scenes are just a side note, somehting to move the plot along because thats the basis for the characters career. in the profesional, the hit scenes take precendence over the plot, changing the apnosphere and direction of the film.

two entirely different films. by taking away the relationship between leon and matilda, you take away everything that leon is. even though leon is a professional hitman, and has gone though a life that most people could never imagine going through, he is on the same level as matilda is as far as love of people. and its bueatiful for that reason.

understandably, american cencors would never allow anything of the sort (11yo girl and 40-50 year old man), but it was deeper then what it sounds like on a topical level. leon wanted her to be happy - not to have sex with her.

i felt that the end sequence of the professional was out of place (not to mention matilda going to the office to find her parents killer, wich came out of NOWHERE in the profesional), in that leon was doing all this for an 11 year old girl, but i couldnt really see a good reason for it. in leon, you get your reason. matilda's russian roulette sequance with leon tells how far out on the brink of emotion each one of them is at, lonely on entirely different ends of the spectrum.

leon was bueatiful - the professional was mockery of what it came from.

but, thats my opinion...

i also liked the color schemes in fifth element. even though they were super bright and neon, they played it off well enough to have them blend realistically, instead of "wow that guy's wearing bright colors...", they seem to blend into the crowd...

5. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    a dazzling visual display to be sure....

6. rjudoka

rjudoka

Oct 11, 2003
    cool flick, seen it twice in the past, now I think I'll see it again soon.

Rick

7. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    lotsa religious undertones in there too....less obvious than the Matrix series...but still overt...

8. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    Yvsa, is on my list of favorites. very sci-fi, but very entertaining.

My favorite lines are:

"We're sending someone in to negoitiate!"

( in walks Bruce Willis with a futuristic roscoe)

<BLAM>

Bruce: "Does anyone else want to negotiate?" ;)

I need to add that DVD to the collection.
    Thanks for bringing it up, and of course it has everything to do with Khukuries! :D

-Craig

9. Bruce of 1

Bruce of 1

Apr 16, 2004
    Yvsa

In Austin Powers 2 i am reasonable sure Will Farrel ( his fez was familiar) attacks Austin with a khukri on the highway. Something you notice after watching it to the point of being able to write my final thesis on shagadelicism.

Thought that might do something for your blades and movies connection.

10. DJ _Wolf

DJ _Wolf

May 4, 2001
    Bit of advice....always ask what the red button is for......

11. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson

Feb 21, 2003
    Oh by the way, I saw a enterview with Natalie Portman. She said Luc Besson came to her with the script for 2nd Professional movie. This one were she was a adult. She said that that it was a great script and that she hoped to take some time off after finishing up the Star Wars crap fest and then see about getting something going on a follow up. I guees it would be several years away and I do not know if anything will really ever come of it, I guess at this point call if a hopefull rumor because at least she is interested in doing it.

12. JUSTRIGHT

JUSTRIGHT

Aug 10, 2001
    OH YEA,I liked it very much.The redhead is a super model,I can't remember her name.Seen her on a couple of hair color commercials.

13. Josh Muller

Josh Muller

Jun 22, 2003
    and i dont care what anyone says - i liked mila's cd - the divine comedy.

bruce willis is set to play hartigan in the new sin city movie...