1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Obsidian knife question

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Nic., Dec 8, 2014.

1. Nic.

Nic.

Dec 8, 2014
    Hey all. I've been making knives for awhile, but have an intresting new project I know nothing about... An obsidian knife. Anyone have any knowledge to pass on regarding making a handle for it? The wood I have for it is Koa wood.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. Nic.

Nic.

Dec 8, 2014
    What would an appropriate handle design be?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    On idea on the handle, but that blade looks very cool!
    Well done!

4. Mossyhorn

Mossyhorn Enlightened Rogue Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Try using some an antler for a handle and wrap the joint in artificial sinew.

5. A.McPherson

A.McPherson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 27, 2012
    Nice! Did you knap it yourself? Are you going to use it, or is it a show piece?

6. Shaggy DA

Shaggy DA

Aug 16, 2014
    If you're interested in making them for sale please let me know. I wouldn't require a handle for it, just a tang and blade. I'd more than likely just wrap it in leather and call er' done. :)

7. Nic.

Nic.

Dec 8, 2014
    Thanks guys! It was actually a gift, a family friend gave it to me and he knaped it and gave me the koa wood to make a handle for it...but I have no idea what I'm doing with a old style knife like that!! When I make it, it will just be a showpiece. And Shaggy, I'll contact him and see if he will sell one to you! I was going to do the sinew wrap, but was wondering about proper dimensions.

8. phorizt

phorizt

Aug 26, 2013
    I have a rather large version similar to what you have there except mine is black obsidian with cholla wood handle. The basic construction is that it looks like they put a notch in the wood, inserted the blade up to the widest part and glued it in and then wrapped the entire joint in sinew up to the base of the blade. The handle shape is pretty simple with a slight downward curve towards the butt.

9. ScottyE

ScottyE

Oct 12, 2014
    20141206_130101.jpg

I use epoxy and artificial sinew to haft mine to the antler tine