1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Official Pen Knife Review Thread

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Daniel Koster, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Daniel Koster

Daniel Koster www.kosterknives.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 18, 2001
    ^^^

2. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    Just got home. Nothing in the mail today. :(

3. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    O.K. who's got it?:confused: :D

4. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    It should be on its way to me right now...

5. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    It's here! Look like it has seen quite a bit of use...needs some sharpening...

6. Ferrous Wheel

Ferrous Wheel

May 16, 2002
    Wondered where that little bugger had gone.

Keith

7. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    ^^^^

8. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    I'm next! Woohoo!:D :D

9. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    BTTT

10. Tohatchi NM

Tohatchi NM

Mar 26, 2002
    At this rate, I'll be able to hand-deliver to Yvsa when I head east in June ! Isuppose a slow passaround is good - no one wants to give it up! :)

11. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    :rolleyes:

update?

12. Ferrous Wheel

Ferrous Wheel

May 16, 2002
    He won't reconize it when it gets back (what with My mods and Yvsa's planned mods...)

Keith

13. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    What's up?:(

14. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Maybe we should all send a sneaky email to Steven ([email protected]) - perhaps he has been too busy with all his other passarounds?

Dan

15. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Don't send me any nasty emails! :eek:

It got sent out today!

16. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks, Steven. Just kidding about the emails, btw. :eek: :footinmou

Nice knife in the avatar. :cool:

17. lcs37

lcs37

Jul 31, 2002
    All the discussion about the PenKnife finally got my attention. After the convention, I ordered one from Uncles stash that I had seen in the 'warehouse'.

I sorta like it as it is. I do think, the pouches, karda, chakma could be eliminated for a closer fit to the side. Same kind of sheath and frog, but none of the traditional accessories. Just my opinion......

Real handy for lopping off a few branches on my Willow Tree and pretty good at slicing.

18. Daniel Koster

Oct 18, 2001
    Dale,

I agree and that was the intent when I designed it. However, Bura thought differently and I have to admit, the karda and chakma are kinda cute...:D

19. Steven Roos

Steven Roos

Jun 29, 2002
    I do think that having the scabbard a little thinner could be a nice option, but I think the karda and chakma are still handy to have even on the Pen knife.

My first impression of the knife was "WOW! This thing is FAST!" It swung like there was nothing there at all! I figured it was probably Bura's magical touch I was feeling.

The second thing I noticed was the scabbard. The knife dropped in there very nicely and was removed just as easily. I was very impressed! Does Bura make the scabbards too?

Then, I started examining the knife more. The handle was very small and thin, but still very secure under use. The designs on the sides of the blade were a very nice touch. How are those put on there?

Finally, I examined the edge. Quite a few people had already seen the knife before me I'd imagine, but it still had a very useable edge. The one thing I noticed were the couple dings in the edge. That got me wondering...what Rockwell hardness are the edges on most khukuris? Has anyone ever tested one? The leaf springs should be made from 5160, and the kamis use a coal forge, right? If so, then there should be more than enough carbon in the steel to give it a very high hardness if desired.

Thanks for the chance to check out this knife Dan! :D

(and no, I wasn't offended by your post. My last post was in jest.)

20. shappa

shappa

Oct 15, 1998
    Yippeee!! It's here!
    Now who can I email pics to that can get them posted?