OK gun knuts... discuss Sig P238

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by Mongo, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    Howdy,
    Got the itch. Got it bad... looking long and hard at the Sig P238.

Anybody have one? Any problems? What ammo are you shooting through it? Yes, I know all about the recent problems with the HD model. Won't buy one of those. Looking at the bi-tone. Nice little gun... handled one yesterday and really liked it. Got a good comparison against the Ruger LCP.

Now, I gotta see if I can find a place to rent one and shoot it.

So, who has one?

2. Les Snyder

Les Snyder

Jul 6, 2010
    Mongo.... Sig has a recall on the P238 so I would check it out first... I don't have a P238 but did have a Colt Pocketlite .380 which I believe is very similar in design...first of all my Colt was very accurate compared to several others... I could shoot 8in plates at 15y which is my standard of comparison...what I did not like about the pistol (and that may be the cause for the recall of the Sigs) was that the safety blocked the hammer, not the sear, and visibly moved the hammer rearward when the safety was applied. I've done too many trigger jobs on 1911s and don't really trust a sear catching a dropping hammer. I carried it for about 3 years with the hammer down on an empty chamber with complete confidence...when Colt quit making them I was made an offer I couldn't refuse and went to a Mini Mouse Gun (minnie mouse?) I know I didn't answer your question... check out the recall ... regards

3. stieg

stieg

Sep 7, 2002
    If you want to learn about Sigs, go to Sigforum.com. It's one of the most civilized gun forums on the net with lots of knowledgeable people.

I have a few P228s but can't help you on the P238. For a small pistol I have the Kahr PM9.

4. CaseyChaos

CaseyChaos Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I have the Colt Mustang Pocketlite in 380 and that Sig is a dead ringer for it. My Colt is a nice shooter. I've heard Sig owns the design of the Pocketlite and the P238 was based on that design. There really is no denying it when you handle one.

I don't own the Sig, but fondled it in Cabela's last weekend. It's a great looking and feeling gun.

5. t1mpani

t1mpani Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I've carried one every day for the last year---excellent little gun. Actually I have four, although only one rides in the holster. Carries very nicely in a wallet-style hip pocket holster, and with my actual wallet in the other it balances things out nicely in terms of sitting down (just having one or the other gets uncomfortable in some chairs).

Two things: This is actually one of a very rare breed of pistols that's more reliable with most hollowpoints than many FMJs, the reason being length of the overall cartridge and the angle the magazine stacks the bullets at. The longer FMJs (100 and 105 grain) can create a situation where the nose of the next cartridge in the magazine is pushing on the spent case of a just-fired round as the gun is trying to eject it. This can make the case rim pull out of the extractor and become a sort of reverse-stove pipe (with the primer facing up). Every single one of my 238s exhibit this behavior with heavy FMJs, though Winchester's 92 grain white box bulk ammo works just fine.

Conversely, the stubbier hollow points do just fine---all of mine eat Gold Dots, Hydrashoks, Critical Defense (longer bullet but with an extreme taper) and Golden Saber just fine.

Also, yes they're an unabashed copy of the Colt, but with a few differences. First, the grip is actually longer in terms of girth (front strap to back strap) which makes it more shootable than the old Mustangs, at least for me. Second, and this is the real kicker---the Sig's parts are heat treated correctly. Colt decided to save money back in the day and didn't HT their slides or slide stops. I had it explained to me that they chose a steel that was supposed to work harden. Well, that may have been the decision they made, but it sure as hell didn't work. I have a half dozen Colt Government 380s and one Mustang II, and all of them exhibit wear around their lugs that is WAY out of step with how much they've been shot. Also, each of their slide stops has a bend in it, and two are so bent that I'll never take them apart again, as I don't think they'd be assemble-able again. Go to Numerich arms or any other gun parts directory and just TRY to find replacement slide stops for those old Colts...they've all been eaten up over the years. Sig was aware of the problem, and they didn't repeat it (yes I'm aware of the current HD problems--but that's a limited manufacturing defect, not a design choice).

I hate to say it, because I love those old Colts (and REALLY wish Sig had also come out with a copy of the Government 380 and not just the Mustang) but the Sig is a better gun. Same design, better execution.

6. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    For some reason, my supposedly superior iMac was pissing me off last night and wouldn't let me post pics. So, here's some P238 eye candy. These guns come with night sights already! :thumbup:

Attached Files:

7. hung-solo

hung-solo Banned BANNED

Jun 11, 2009
    nice! i do own a LCP and do enjoy it. i have medium size hands and can handle it fairly well (though practice was a must as it should be with all guns).. the 380 cartridge for most folks is sub par for self defense. to each their own i suppose... i love this sig though, i have always thought highly of sigs.

what kills me is why the .380 cartridges are more expensive than 9mm's... i have been told many reasons on why and this one sticks out the most as crazy "its bc they do not but make them once or twice a year".. i chuckled

8. BrewCity59

BrewCity59

May 2, 2010
    Had a chance to shoot P238 and my LCP back to back about two weeks ago. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the extra $$$ for the Sig. Real sights and a "mini 1911" feel are hard to beat!

9. hung-solo

hung-solo Banned BANNED

Jun 11, 2009
    yeah i bet... the only thing is the lcp is so very easy to conceal in a pocket but the sig has to shoot better no doubt.

anyone shot and or own the p232 .380 from sig?

10. JohnTheTexican

JohnTheTexican Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 1, 2006
    I have an FI Model D, which is basically the same as an Iver Johnson .380, which is basically the same as a Colt Pony, which, I think, is pretty similar to a Colt Mustang, which seems to be basically the same thing as the P238. It's a great little gun, but it's big and heavy compared to a Kel-Tec P3AT. For a carry gun, I'd pass on the Sig or other classic designs (like a Walther PPK or Mauser HSc) in favor of a little plastic gun like the KelTec or a Ruger LCP. But that's just me.

11. t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    P232 is very similar to a PPK in shooting feel, though more comfortable for most because of grip design and more radiuses edges.

As to conceal-ability, the 238 is dimensionally very similar to the LCP, and a five pound trigger pull versus ten. LCP does have a small weight advantage, though.

The one that feels the best to you, of course, will always be the one you're most effective with.

12. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    I've owned a Sig 238 for about a year and have shot about 300 round thru it with no problems what so ever. Handy size for carry. Sig bought the machinery for the mustang from colt when they discontinued the Mustang to build the P238 but like t1mpani said use better metal in construction, I suspect most of the people that has badmouthed them have never even shot one

13. quick kill

quick kill

Jul 23, 2010

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  14. quick kill

quick kill

Jul 23, 2010
    I don't own one but have handled one. It feels much better in the hand then all of the other micro pistols. And I'm a 1911 Guy anyway so that might just be my own bias. I could never just carry A 380 as a primary. (Again just my personal belief) but if I did I would be more comfortable with it then the lcp,t3at,tcp,p380 and as soon as I get the money saved up I will be buying one as a backup.

15. Slidetechnik

Slidetechnik

Jul 16, 2009
    Definately find a way to shoot it before you commit to it. I recommend shooting offerings from some of the "competition" as well for contrast so you can identify what you do and don't like.

16. rnpollard

rnpollard

Dec 10, 2000
    I owned a Mustang for about 10 years and it like the DAO Colt Pony had miserable sights. I was lucky to find a custom Pony with Big Dot sights and that was my edc until recently when I started to edc a Kahr PM9.

I also bought a P380 which is the cream of the crop as far as 380's go.

If you are going to carry the Sig in a holster on your belt you can carry a
    9mm just as easily. If you are going to pocket carry I believe you would be better served with a DAO.

17. t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    I've carried my SIG every day in one of these:
    [​IMG]

It completely hides the profile of the gun in my back pocket, protects the gun, covers the trigger guard and stops the safety from being disengaged or the magazine release from being hit, and yet I can have the pistol out and shooting in about a second and a half. Not sure how much better served you could be.

If you're just going to have the gun knocking around in your front pockets with your keys, then yeah I'd go with one of the little polymer jobs, just because it'd be a shame to scratch up a real gun. ;)

18. Les Snyder

Les Snyder

Jul 6, 2010
    to add to what t1mpani said about the pocket holster (mine is a Sam Andrews).. if you are right handed and want to carry in the front pocket, get the "left handed" model as the "flap" is on the outside to break up the outline...a little slower to draw from than the rear pocket if you are right handed... you have to get your hand between the pistol butt and the leather, but a little more comfortable to sit down...regards

19. dodgeem33

dodgeem33 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2006
    I'd go for the 232 if you have bigger hands. Great gun but you can get 4 fingers on the 232 versus 3 on the 238

20. t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    It's a great gun, no doubt, but it's enough bigger that you're not going to pocket carry, unless you exclusively wear cargo pants. It will require either one of the true tuckable holsters, or that you always have a jacket or long, untucked shirt, which isn't possible in certain climates and work environments. The whole reason for the explosive popularity of the little guns is not because they're cute. It's because, realistically, you'll actually carry it every single day, instead of carrying it every once in awhile for a few months and then start leaving it at home because it's just too big a pain in the ass, which is the typical behavior of most--not all--CCW holders who choose larger handguns. The superb pistol you left at home isn't worth a damn compared to the mouse gun that you actually have when you need it. Just take the time and learn how to shoot it. The long trigger pulls of the LCP and others take some effort to learn, but it can be done. The 238's single action trigger is a much shorter learning curve.