1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ok time to kick up some more early 124 history

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by gsea, Jan 15, 2019.

1. gsea

gsea Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Ok pretty common knowledge the white teflon spacers ( about 300 made) were probably the earliest production knives. Now need the experts, from what I've found out there are two versions (not verified). One has 4 pins in the pommel and the other version has one. I got the one pin version. So is the 4 pin version out there?
    Secondly there was a prototype permutation the had a BUCK* stamp in which 30-50 were made. It has a center lanyard hole in the birds beak. Anyone have or ever seen one in person?

[​IMG]

2. David Nowlin

David Nowlin Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Tell me more. My 2019 or 2018 i guess will be here soon.

3. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Made me go look. I was able to find one in the cabinet with Teflon spacers. It has 1 pin.
    I have never seen a BUCK* version in the wild.
    I interpreted Housers article to say there were about 50 BUCK* versions and they were 4 pin.
    For those of you without a life you can find a little bedtime reading in the Dec 06 Newslettter.

124.Teflon.Spacers.11.jpg 124.White.Teflon.110213  (3).JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Topgear9 and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  4. jb4570

jb4570 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2005
    I also have never seen one. But, always on the lookout for one.

jb4570

5. skylercstevens

skylercstevens Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I’ve seen both the single buck and buck* 122s. The one liner had the lanyard hole in the middle of the butt while the buck* had them in the normal spot.

DeSotoSky likes this.
  6. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    Ok what is a Buck*? (Buck *) is actually on the blade?

7. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    I have two 124s from nov of 1971...
    Lanyard hole and serrated blade
    One came wit a leather sheath the other with a rubber sheath ( which got hot in a windshield and fell apart)
    Love them both

jbmonkey likes this.
  8. gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    I believe it's the other way around. The buck* has the center hole. the * after buck denotes 1967.

9. DeSotoSky

DeSotoSky Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 21, 2011
    Not wanting to hijack the thread but to just bring you up to speed on the discussion, Yes, it is a tang stamp, generally attributed to 1967 on the 100 series knives. It was followed very quickly by the BUCK/USA stamp. You would be generally well served to think of all the various "dots" on our knives as engineering change codes. In this case I think it denoted a change from forged to blanked blades but won't swear to it. Always a good find as it was used only for a very short time. Here is an example 120 from my collection.

120 1-line dot.jpg

10. skylercstevens

skylercstevens Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 7, 2013
    What I posted is correct based on the 3 I’ve seen. Several at Buck had never even known about the one liner 124 with the hole in the middle until I showed them a photo. No one at Buck was around when all these old knives were
    made and you can’t count on spotty records.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  11. David Nowlin

Jan 17, 2018
    So cool!
    So before 1967 it would just say BUCK? And after 67 it was
    BUCK
    U.S.A.
    Thanks, DN

12. gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    Could you post a photo?

13. ScottK

ScottK Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 1999
    I had one that was stamped Buck USA

bnemo3.jpg

14. gsea

Feb 7, 2014
    Doing some more thinking on this, does anyone have a pic of any 124 with the one line BUCK? In 67 (when the 124 was introduced) the asterisk was on the stamp ( I have a 121 scaler with the BUCK * stamp from 67). So any just one liners would mean that it was earlier then 67. After the 50 or so prototypes with the centered hole they went to the BUCK USA stamp (aprx 300-500) so that would be late 67 or 68. Just like the 110 BUCK* for the 67 variations and BUCK USA starts in 68.

Following is Joe Housers notes:

The Buck 124 was originally designed as a diving knife and called a Nemo. It started its life somewhere around 1967. The original prototype, around 50 or so, had a hole centered in the pommel. They are extremely rare!!!

Please note there are two 124/122 versions with white Teflon. The first issue was stamped BUCK* and had 4 butt pins (only 50 of these were made). Then the ones stamped BUCK USA with one butt pin (300 - 500 of these were made).

This was followed by a production model that was offered in 1967 with either a diving sheath (NEMO) or a flap leather sheath (FRONTIERSMAN). Both were the same knife, other than the sheath. They made roughly300-500 of these and they had black phenolic handles with white teflon spacers.

Black Phenolic wrap around handle

Stamped BUCK, U.S.A.

Plain edge, no serrations

Stainless guard, varying thickness, one piece stainless butt, one visible rivet

Lanyard hole on end of bird’s beak pommel

Red “bone hard fiber” spacers

Plastic Nemo or leather sheath.

Larger 2 piece off white box for Nemo and Frontiersman.

15. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    I did not know a 124 existed when I bought this 120 in about 1982 ($30 at a gun show) or I would have bought it then

[​IMG]

I've wanted a 124 since I first heard of it. I got around to buying a new one 2 years ago. Love it

[​IMG]

Topgear9 and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  16. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I'm intrigued with early fixed blades..but only have a 118 and a 120 Armand gifted me. The rarest early Bucks disappear into long term collections and rarely appear. I've noticed over the years many collectors gravitate towards the early knives, especially pre 1964, and the old Custom shop...It must be the challenge since a fat checkbook will get you most of the newer Bucks in one weekend on Ebay. But the early ones disappear into strong hands..

DDDWho likes this.