Old axes

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Section10, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    Greetings,
    I am interested in axes and hatchets. I was looking for a place to discuss them and found this forum. I have had considerable experience with axes over the years and I finally decided to take more of an academic interest in them instead of just using them. Though I have nothing against the modern makes and styles, my interest runs more toward the "antique" ones. I happen to live in a part of the country where logging has been taking place for at least 130 years and so axes are very common around here. Also my best friend owns a busy junkyard and he always makes sure any axes he gets are saved for me so I always seem to have something new to examine. It is surprising how many good tools just get thrown away by people. I recondition those I am able to save and I try to research them as much as I am able. It is becoming an involved hobby. Are there any other like minded folks out there?
    Jim

2. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
  3. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    there are getting to be a lot of folks messing with axes and hatchets. I can't seem to snag them as easy as I use to. Glad to meet ya, hope to hear and see more.

Pat

4. cherokee tj

cherokee tj

Aug 13, 2008
    I buy up every old hatchet and axe head I see at flea markets, thrift and junk stores and clean, polish and rehaft them. Love the old ones.

5. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.
    I probably have close to 50 axes so far. One that was hard to research is an S. S. & A. Co. full size double bit. All I could find is that Simpson Scythe & Axe Co. was making axes in Oakland, Maine around 1880. I assume mine is one of those. There were so many small time obscure makers over the years, it is almost impossible to find and learn about some of them.

6. Duzzy

Duzzy

Sep 1, 2009
    Out of curiosity, do you know anything about Reynolds and Sons out of Norwich Connecticut?

7. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    Sorry Duzzy, never heard of it.

8. pullrich

pullrich

May 4, 2010
  9. cj65

cj65 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Along with rescaling fixed blade knives, I enjoy purchasing axes at garage sales, ebay, and thrift stores as well. I have about 4 to do right now.

10. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    The biggest problem I have had when it comes to restoring axes is finding a reliable source of cheap handles. To go into a hardware store and buy new handles is just too costly to do so when you are buying a dozen at a time. I've recently decided to just clean up the heads and let them sit until I can find someone who has a supply of seconds or else just forget handles all together. One of these days I'm going to start trying to sell some axes and maybe let whoever buys one worry about installing a handle. New handles are by far the biggest investment in a 'restored' axe--at least for me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  11. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Check out Alan Boyko of B.C. Canada for info on nice handles. The other place I'd try is www.theaxehole.com which is run by Doc Jastad. If he can't locate a handle you might as well hang it up!

12. COAL CREEK FORGE

COAL CREEK FORGE

Mar 7, 2008
    Just from reading your post's about refurbishing the head's Jim i can tell your mechanically inclined enough to make your own axe handle's.They're easier to make than you think and they'll probably be alot better than the replacemaent handles that are on the market today.

13. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    Unfortunately there is no hickory growing here. Readily accessible hardwoods include red oak, maple, yellow birch, black ash, cherry and ironwood. I don't know if they would make good handles, although a birdseye maple would sure make a pretty one.

14. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Good piece of ash can do it....

15. COAL CREEK FORGE

COAL CREEK FORGE

Mar 7, 2008
    Section10 as Dusty One stated Ash would be a good handle as well as the red oak,keep in mind that in the old day's quarter sawn oak was used alot for axe handle's,my old Broad Axe still has the original quarter sawn oak handle in it that was salvaged from a barn after a tornado ripped it to shred's.Alot depend's on wether or not you're going to use it as a functional tool or wall hanger.I may take a Poll on this and see if there's enough interest in it and do a WIP on making axe handle's.

16. Section10

Section10

Jun 8, 2010
    I've never made a handle and it would be interesting to learn.
    But I sure have hung a lot of them. I wonder if anyone would like to read how I do it?

17. camo kid

camo kid

Sep 3, 2002
    section 10, For the past 3 or so years I have been collecting, and refurbishing old axes. Most of the time I buy plumb, collins, Snow and Nealley, norlund, and kelley. I buy most of my handles from the local lumber yard, they have a lot in stock normaly from both Link and House handle. During the winter I hang 4 or 5 a week, and have well over 100 vintage axes and hatchets now. I would love to here how you go about hanging yours. joe

18. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    camo kid,

YOu ever sell any?

19. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    not an old axe, but an old hatchet. any idea how old? pre 1820's but how much?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or if you know a place to go looks maybe.

thanks, Pat

20. COAL CREEK FORGE

COAL CREEK FORGE

Mar 7, 2008
    Ohh Baby a Keen Kutter Barrel Hatchet,better hang on to it Pat,Keen Kutter is big collectible item for alot of people.I've got a few of their piece's around here somewhere,have you done a search on Keen Kutter Collectible's