One-handed opening: does it matter?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DangerZone98, Jun 7, 2020.

1. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    How important is one-handed opening to you? The folding knife market has numerous options for whipping out your bad boy with just one hand: thumbhole, thumbstud, flipper, thumbdisk, thumbplate, your dog’s eyelid, etc. Does it really matter? I love one-handed deployment, but I can’t think of any practical situation where one-handed offers an advantage over the good ole nail nick.

As for me, I’m usually a one-handed opening, two-handed closing kind of guy. No particular reason other than it feels cool to slam that Tri-Ad lock home singlehandedly.

Smiling likes this.
  2. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Yes, 90% of the time I'm holding something in my off hand that is going to get cut.

jpm2, Razor, me2 and 14 others like this.
  3. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Yes, 90% of the time I'm holding something in my off hand that is going to get cut.

Mako109 likes this.
  4. glockfire

glockfire Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    If I am pulling out a SAK or traditional, it's because I want to open a blade two handed and do some sort of menial task. If I pull out a folder, it's likely that my other hand is full. 9/10 times, while I carry a SAK and folder, I reach for the folder.

DocT, Sidehill Gouger, guy g and 2 others like this.
  5. JAB

JAB Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2005
    For the longest time I had no restrictions on what I could carry so I mostly went with one-handers with pocket clips. Then I started working a retail/office job where I really could only get away with a smallish pocket knife so I pretty much went with Peanuts, Pens, a Small Stockman or even an Alox Soldier or Pioneer. Now that I can carry whatever I want again I’ve mostly gone back to one-handed pocket clippers (don’t tell the folks in the Traditional forum...:D)

ETA: I also have a Vic Classic on my keyring in case I need to use something a little more discreet.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Blackf77t and DangerZone98 like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I do not carry one handed folders.
    If I need a one handed blade it's a small belt knife.

7. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    If i'm using a folder I can open with one hand, I want to close it the same way. I typically carry both a modern folder (pocket clip, one hand opening) and a traditional (usually a Buck 501, or a GEC slipjoint). I'm probably a little more likely to use the traditional; unless the situation requires single hand use.

guy g, craytab and DangerZone98 like this.
  8. IUKE12

IUKE12

Nov 25, 2005
    I consider one handed opening to be a convenience. Definitely something I prefer in a folder. As others have stated, the other hand is usually busy holding the object to be cut. This happens to me a lot with rope for example. The spyder hole gets it done every time.

guy g and DangerZone98 like this.
  9. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Mar 1, 2018
    How about on a boat?

guy g and DangerZone98 like this.
  10. elde66

elde66 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2019
    It's critical.

11. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    Old, stiff fingers. I like an automatic opening knife.

wvriverats, SOLEIL, Lee D and 3 others like this.
  12. DangerZone98

DangerZone98

Dec 7, 2019
    A boat? How do you mean?

13. Zulus

Zulus

May 29, 2020
    Yes, on a boat too.

DangerZone98 likes this.
  14. tueller

tueller Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Yes it’s a must for me. I have tried traditional but it’s the one handed opening that sends me back. On a ladder.. one hand, holding something... one hand, driving (shit happens)... one handed, injured... one handed, gloved... one handed, etc. spyderco whole works the best for my needs.

15. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    For work and EDC it’s the only option I consider.

One hand for you,

ARTT1, GB940Rookie, SOLEIL and 2 others like this.
  16. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    As I answered in the last one-hand opening thread, and the one before that, etc....

Yes, easy one hand opening and closing are important to me. It is why I prefer a modern locking folder. I enjoy using the many SAKs and the few traditionals I carry. However, often times I'm already holding what needs cutting with one hand so a modern OHO knife makes tasks much easier to complete for me. Add in being in a precarious setting like a ladder or in a soaking rain and I am very happy to be able to just whip out, cut, and put my knife safely back in pocket with one hand.

17. NicoColt1911

NicoColt1911

Mar 17, 2017
    I come from Germany and to sum up our knife laws you have basically three options here:

1) Two hand opening knives are fine.
    2) Fixed blade shorter than 12cm are fine.
    3) One hand opening knives are also legal to carry but only as long as they don't lock. However, this exception isn't common knowledge even among cops, attorneys and judges.

So yes, I usually carry two hand opening knives. Would I also carry them if I could carry one hand opening knives? Yes! I am not somebody that uses his knife as a fidget toy. I also usually don't have to use a knife when one of my hands is holding something. But I'd probably mostly carry one hand opening knives because they can come in handy.

Lee D, guy g and DangerZone98 like this.
  18. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I can clearly see where having a one hand opening knife is beneficial and a practical option. There is a whole world of knives that are essentially in between semi-auto/auto and say a slip joint (essentially a two hand opening knife) and very practical. Many of these are designed for one hand opening but more than likely they are opened with two hands in most cases. These tend to be the ones I gravitate toward (examples Spyderco Native, Delica, Benchmade Mini Presidio II, etc.) . I have done the easy one hand opening thing (flippers, AO's, and switch blades) and don't see it important to my life.

Added: I often pack a One Hand Opening Vic Trekker on hikes. I could choose the regular model but I choose the one-hander due to potential emergencies where I might only have one hand that is functional.

It's nice to have options.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Lee D and guy g like this.
  19. abcdef

abcdef

Oct 28, 2005
    I think the one handed option is most important to one handed people. To the rest, it is a matter of degree.

sv4, Hickory n steel, dannyp and 2 others like this.
  20. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo

Mar 1, 2018
    If you have ever spent time on the salt water or on a large lake or fast water, you appreciate having a knife that opens with one hand, leaving your other hand to hang on with. When you need to cut a line it is often an emergency. And a lanyard loop is nice so you don't lose your knife overboard.

not2sharp, DangerZone98 and guy g like this.