1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Open Carrying Karambit, Scout Style

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ZTFan, Jul 22, 2018.

1. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015
    Airborne 1 and Charlie Mike like this.
  2. Charlie Mike

Charlie Mike Sober since 1-7-14 (still a Paranoid Nutjob) Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 1, 2000
    Lol, I was really stoned

uxo2, diavoli and ArchVV like this.
  3. J W Bensinger

J W Bensinger

Mar 26, 2009
    I make k-bits, I've trained with them for nearly 25 years, and I never carry one. Joe was right about a shorty wharncliffe-I would add that if you want something with some kerambit functionality then choose/have somebody make one with enough flare in the butt to catch your hand on the draw-99% of the functional purpose of the ring is accessing-any fancy technique involving extending the knife out of your grip is probably not gonna work for real (I think I pulled one of those off twice with a trainer on a noncompliant partner).
    And if you're gonna scout carry it, do it in front where it's not hidden , under your control and easy to resheath without comedy
    Just my $.02

ZTFan, JParanee, Nystagmus and 3 others like this.
  4. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Charlie Mike...that has to be one of the very best reception photographs I have ever seen !!!

Airborne 1 and Charlie Mike like this.
  5. Knifeoholic

Knifeoholic

Feb 8, 2016
    What model is this knife? I'd love to get my hands on one!

6. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    good thing they dont have your handedness on record and consider you minimum security....little do they know.......:)

Charlie Mike likes this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    They should have taken one look at your mug shot and put you away for good!

I see they accidentally filed you under minimum security class.

@ponykid how would they necessarily find out about any training you did? I’m not saying it is impossible,
    Just curious how that would typically work.

Charlie Mike likes this.
  8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    It’s a

It’s a John Gray

John is a friend and while visiting months ago we talked about my interest and belief that a utility/Combat wharncliffe might make the ultimate carry piece

So he was kind enough to make me one and delivered it at Blade this year

I believe we are going to do a little run of these

[​IMG]

It came with a very well thought out horizontal Kydex sheath

The whole package disappears on the belt worn Crossdraw

Here is another Wharncliffe from Forged And Fire Winner Alaskan Blade Smith David Mirabile

[​IMG]

Very well thought out horizontal sheath

It is a lined Kydex sheath covered in elephant skin

[​IMG]

I’m a big fan of the Wharncliffe design for a EDC

They really do make great utility Knives folding or fixed ....plus they are easy to explain :)

[​IMG]

danbot, Knifeoholic and Lapedog like this.
  9. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I really feel like a Spyderco street beat-like knife with a finger ring at the butt and a 3/4 sharpened spine would be the ultimate fighting/utility knife for me.

I love your wharnie Yojimbo collection.

10. ponykid

ponykid

Sep 14, 2015

I would think if you are being prosecuted for murder a DA will uncover your whole life. they can sit infront of a computer and un cover your whole life. awhile back I was witness to an incident in a store parking lot. I didn't hang around and left the scene as I was not directly involved. an hour later law enforcement was calling my cell phone, not my house phone to talk with me about what I saw. nowadays they can track and own you whenever they want .

11. Loosechange

Loosechange

Jun 20, 2018
    I stand corrected... my access to YouTube has greatly affected my ability to think correctly upon the deadliest knife known to man LOL!. Anything can be the deadliest weapon with the proper training... and I’m not even going to mention Stevens name... yes pun was intended.

Just think when Ca. will outlaw firm hard pencils and go with ones that are easily fractured or bendable ones... hey it can happen, right?

Anyway I watched too much funker tactical on youtube and some phllipene troop training with tge karambit And that movie unto which I think it’s the second movie for “the raid 2” called redemption(?) and it’s abunch of type swat going through a high rise, anyway the end scene is a major karambit fight and practiced well. I would have liked more blood to show...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Charlie Mike likes this.