1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Opinions on Atlas mill

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Rickoo, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Rickoo

Rickoo

Feb 23, 2017
  2. kuraki

kuraki Fimbulvetr Knifeworks

Jun 17, 2016
    A horizontal mill like that is of limited use for knifemaking. There are uses but as a person's only milling machine they're not really what you want.

3. Rickoo

Rickoo

Feb 23, 2017
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

4. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    $1300 would get you a usable vertical knee mill around these parts, possibly with some tooling. Not sure about Boston area, but I'd keep looking.

5. Rickoo

Rickoo

Feb 23, 2017
    Don't really want to dedicate the space for a full size mill. I have a feeling a mini mill will only bring disappointment. Have any suggestions on a good mini mill?

6. Augus7us

Augus7us

Oct 9, 2014
    I would not pay that for that mill. I wouldn't pay half that to be honest and I have the matching Atlas bench lathe.

Little machine shop if you're going to buy a mini mill. But as others pointed out you can buy a used knee mill for the price. Less around here.

-Clint

7. Drew Riley

Drew Riley

Oct 17, 2007
    You might look at some square column benchtop mills. Something like the Grizzly G0704 or 759 might fit your needs. In a couple years, I can almost guarantee you'll be wanting to swap them out for something bigger though. ;)