1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Ordered a TOPS Little Bugger, is their quality always this bad?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by kefefs, Aug 28, 2019.

1. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    Ordered a TOPS Little Bugger on National Knife Day, just got it today. Was disappointed as soon as I took it out of the bag.

The blade looks like it was ground by a drunk. It's not straight at all, as a wharncliffe is supposed to be; it goes straight for a little, then curves up, then curves down severely, then goes back up at the tip. The edge itself is rough, uneven, and not very sharp, with scratches above it all the way along both sides. The kydex sheathe seems alright apart from retention being ungodly tight. I have a legit gun belt that I carry a Glock 17 on and I have to yank so yard it pulls my belt up to get the knife to release.

All in all I'm not impressed one bit. This looks like a Khyber Pass copy of what I thought I was ordering. For a little $73 piece of 1095 I hope this isn't the standard.

Luckily the place I ordered from has a good return policy. Should I try and fix this myself, or just return it? If I return it do I try for a replacement? Is it worth it? Or just get a refund and buy something else? I was looking at the Real Steel Connector D2 wharncliffe alongside the TOPS and it looks like I chose wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Personally, I'd send it back.
    For that kind of money you should not have to fix the edge or sharpen it before you can use it.

3. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    That's what I'm leaning towards, but I don't know if it's worth asking for a replacement of the same model. If this is just what TOPS does I'll get a refund and buy something else.

4. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Return, if at all possible. You will most likely never be happy with it. Buy something else.

5. Sidehill Gouger

Sidehill Gouger

Dec 29, 2007
    The knife looks fine to me. I don't see the problem.

6. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    That darkening doesn't look right. Burnt steel?

Return it.

7. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    That edge looks fine to you? Do you need your glasses? :confused: Look at how wavy the edge is. This is supposed to be a straight-edged wharncliffe blade, not some weird wavy recurve deal.

A.L. and ShannonSteelLabs like this.
  8. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    I think that's a lighting issue in the photos, there's no darkening. There is some weird smudging though, which probably created the lighting effect. It looks like they poorly tried to polish the secondary bevel but didn't do it evenly.

chiral.grolim likes this.
  9. jmh33

jmh33 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I see the issue you are referring to.. BUT.. In my world I would keep it, use it, enjoy it..;) In time from sharpening the problem will disappear and you will have a GREAT knife...:thumbsup: Unless it is intended on being a safe queen then return it.. :D JMO!!!:D
    John :)

10. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    That doesn’t look right. It looks to me someone messed with it then returned it. The mark on the micarta at the top of the handle near the blade is showing wear. The kind of wear from putting it in and out of the sheath. The blade looks like someone attempted to polish it. Contact the dealer and return it.

None of it is an example of what I’ve seen of tops knives. I own three.

jdk1 likes this.
  11. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    It was fresh out of a sealed bag so I doubt someone returned it. And the wear is from the kydex sheathe, it's so tight and that's where it locks up.

Regardless of what happened I already contacted the dealer and got an RMA. It's going back and I'm going to try something else.

115Italian likes this.
  12. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    Check out white river. They make an awesome little knife.

13. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Maybe if it were significantly less expensive but it’s a small piece of 1095 and a straight edge. A tops employee should be able to grind this tiny straight edge in their sleep.

Send it back and get an izula 2. I’ve never been impressed with tops even if I didn’t take into account their crazy high prices.

fishiker likes this.
  14. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    IMO... Definitely send it back to the vendor--immediately and at the vendor’s expense. Fixing gross manufacturing defects isn’t a cutromer responsibility.

15. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    I have a Little Bugger, it's easily one of my faves, and you can use the blade as a straightedge. That one looks like somebody decided to "improve" it, botched the job, then returned--bags aren't difficult to reseal. The sheath is quite snug, it's so light that you would never notice it if it fell from being loose. Kydex is easily adjusted with heat, but it is an easy draw if you pop the sheath off with a thumb on the spine.

16. RoachBelly44

RoachBelly44 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Oof. Looks like they just biffed it. Not cool for the money. I'd probably exchange for another, because it looks like a very handy design.

17. McFeeli

McFeeli

Feb 13, 2017
    My Tops MSK came with one of cleanest factory grinds I’ve seen on any of my production fixed blades. The sheath retention was insane, though to be fair it is an inverted neck knife. If it wasn’t strong I’d be more concerned.

18. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    My last tops folder and fixed blade had horrible f/f . I returned both for a refund.

Too bad because the designs were spot on.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    That last picture shows it all.

OP, good on the return. That knife should not have left the work floor considering the grind it is supposed to be.

20. kefefs

kefefs

Feb 24, 2019
    It definitely is a good design, and it feels great, which is why it sucks that I got a lemon. I have a problem trusting a brand when something like this is my first exposure to them.

TheEdge01 and RoachBelly44 like this.