1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

OT:Big bore Marlins; Munk et al?

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by stevomiller, Jan 15, 2004.

1. raghorn

raghorn

Feb 23, 2002
    I'm a lever nut, probably because I shoot southpaw. I "settled for" the .45-70 after two years of unsuccessfully trying to find a Savage 99 in .358, which was my last "gotta have it" rifle.

2. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    Browning released a small run of 358 levers this summer. I'm guessing they were gone immediately as vendors kept saying 'check for future availability " I couldn't have bought one anyway- not at modern Browning prices.

The 358 really was the squirrel's nuts, wasn't it?

I don't agree with much of Layne Simpson's velocity addiction, but did appreciate what he said about the 358 (and 375, for that matter.) paraphrase- "gunwriters and hunters cried and begged for a great, moderate range 'woods' cartridge. Winchester complied with the 358. But no one wanted it, sales were poor, and the cartridge passed from sight."

He also said of the 375 had the cartridge gained acceptance they'd plans for a 400 based upon the same case. But we've seen our last lever action cartridge developed by Winchester.

munk

3. Cuttin' Craig

Cuttin' Craig

Jun 9, 2001
    My Big Bore Marlin is a .45-70 stainless guide gun with a brockman peep rear sight. The thing I liked about the brockman is that it mounted using the two rear scope mount holes, was made of steel, and had wings (a la M1A front sight), and accepted all williams aperatures.

I bought it as a deer rifle and it has yet to be put to that use. I also have cast and jacketed loads to test. ( I'm so ashamed. :eek: ) I need to get off my duff and get to it!

One thing I did also was to have a Pachmyr deccelerator recoil pad installed on it. I told my gunsmith that I wasn't a wuss, but this thing was beating me up more than I thought it should. When I picked up the rifle, he showed me my old factory "recoil pad" cut in half. Marlin basically put a plastic plate against the stock and had a perpendicular piece jutting out in the middle. This effectively focused all the recoil on a knife edge into the ole' shoulder.

Now with the deccelerator it kicks like a 20 gauge, and I can shoot it without ill effect. Now they make "pre-fit" deccelerators and sell 'em at Brownell's. (Brownell's sells the brockman sight as well, BTW.)

For me .45-70 was my choice so I could develop cast bullet loads at moderate velocities, and amped up jacketed loads for hunting. It also didn't hurt having a wealth of reloading data available for the old cartridge.

I don't think you can make a bad choice when it comes to a big bore Marlin:D

-Craig

4. Yvsa

Yvsa

May 18, 1999
    I like levers as well.:D All I have is my Marlin in .357 Mag, but it goes along with my Ruger Security Six.
    Barb has a 30-30 Winchester with a 4 power scope.
    Evidently I passed the love of lever guns down to my son who bought a new Winchester in .45 long Colt. It's a sweet shootin rifle.

On the did ya know kick... I once saw a Marlin lever in .410 shotgun. When I asked the guy who owned it how much he just gave me a shlt eatin grin and slowly shook his head sideways a couple of times.:)
    My b-i-l has a Winchester in .45-70 but I've never shot it. I'm gettin too old to be romped on even gently. My Mossberg 12 Gauge hurts me if I shoot it too much.:(

5. t1mpani

t1mpani

Jun 6, 2002
    Munk,
    The Spitzer 235s should work just fine in the Savage's magazine, there's lots of room.
    I really wanted one of those Browning 358s as well, but it just didn't happen. I also had a notion (years ago) of getting a BLR in 30-06, and then getting the .358 barrel to make (with very little other modification) a lever in 35 Whelen. Probably would have made more sense, had I ever done it, to talk to Brown's or somebody else and have a barrel made, but I loved how cheap my idea sounded. :)

Raghorn,
    I saw a Savage 99 in .358 recently, but the seller certainly was proud of it. 99s have become downright valuable in recent years.

6. munk

munk

Mar 22, 2002
    The problem with the mag is the section around the bullet is often narrowed-

Gun parts had a couple 358 barrels for a 99 and I was going to get a 308 Savage and screw it on. didn't have the nearly 500 bucks for that- almost 2 from Gun parts and figure 300 for a decent enough 308.

I have a 35 whelen in a mongrel mauser.

Though I did aquire three new firearms (to me) this summer most aquisition has been halted because of HI.

munk