1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

outdoors fun with a wsk

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by knoefz, Feb 11, 2015.

1. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    You really got the taste of the tracker there jdk1!
    Beautiful sheath you've made, some serious skills you have there.

Love the pics and experiences everyone posted, great to see a tracker thread with users posting their pics.

Hope to go on a camping trip soon, so I can take some new pics.
    This is from my last trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Great pics guys!

3. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    Did somebody just pick up a Tracker off the exchange;)

4. B Griffin

B Griffin Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Nice pics man, looks like you had fun. I like the Beck version, but lately I have been hung up on CPM S35VN and am looking hard at Ed Martin's variant with a 7 inch blade.

[​IMG]

5. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    Mistwalker, I'd love to see you do a review of one of those. They look very nice (and I love your reviews;))

6. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Thanks man, I'm glad you like the reviews. Ed and I have talked about this, he calls his model the WTK or wilderness trail knife. All of the ones of the last batch of them were spoken for, and I have a different knife coming from this batch, but I am definitely planning on picking one up by summer. I have been hung up on the CPM S35VN for high humidity environments for a while now and Ed does an awesome job with it. He triple tempers and double cryo-quenches his stainless, and it makes for a very tough blade. I have a review of one of his smaller knives in the works now that I have been testing the last few weeks.

7. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Beautiful, never seen those before!

8. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    That's the rumor. :)

9. B Griffin

Dec 22, 2007
    Ed has just started making these again after redesigning how he did the saw. I like the way the extra inch of blade length allows for more of a flat just forward of the draw knife, and a little more forward mass for better chopping capability. I have a few of Ed's knives, and the man does great work. I'm really looking forward to checking one out later in the year.

10. druid189

druid189

Apr 27, 2008
    OH.....EMM...GEE......

Mr Beck's address is about an hour from my own home!

I'ma hafta check him out!!!

11. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    I am not a huge fan of the WSK. I have played with one of Bryan Breeden's. Cool tools ,much respect to anyone who takes the time to learn to get the most out of it.
    Ed Martin knives do look great .

12. panzertroop

panzertroop

Aug 8, 2008
    Played around with mine this past weekend. A few buddies also wanted to check out what a Tracker is all about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Love the regrind on your tracker Panzer!
    That forst pic is awesome.

What'd you buddies think about the knife?

14. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    I do like how the saw was moved back a bit, batoning should be easier with this one.

15. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    It's great to see this thread is still active. Not exactly action, but I'm the proud new owner of a Paul Long sheath for my Tracker. There's an in depth thread in the Sheaths and Such section. It's good for belt or sash style carry. It should be a gem! Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

16. pitdog

pitdog

Apr 13, 2007
    I'd still like to see someone make a primitive version similar to what was made in the movie but still having the grind so the ' quarter rounder ' section can be used for rounding off arrow shafts and making fuzz sticks etc. The handle could be leather or jute wrapped.

[​IMG]

17. jdk1

jdk1

Apr 21, 2010
    Pitdog, have you visited that thread with all the Tracker Action on the 'net? I believe there are some examples there, including a knapped flint version! Them boys are serious about the WSK.

18. cybrok

cybrok

Aug 7, 2005
    That was pretty funny. Forging a knife with a small fire, and make it with the recurve AND sawback. Oh Hollywood.