1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Paragon Heat Treat Furnace

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Ocelot85, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    I'm looking at purchasing the Paragon Double Barrel KM24, already have quotes from the electricians to wire the circuit and upgrade my panel in the shop. I haven't done heat treating besides very simple methods in the past, I plan on starting with simple carbon steels but I want to eventually be able to do HSS such as CPM-M4 and stainless steels such as M390, Elmax, etc. I've been reading about them and they seem like a solid option for what I want, but I'm looking for a professionals insight and opinion on them.

Wissler likes this.
  2. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    I haven't used that model, but see nothing wrong with it. It is well built, and the three side/no back heating coils should be very effective.

I have Ron Frazier's ancient KM18 paragon and it has been going strong for over 40 years. I gave it to Steve recently and we are going to replace the old mechanical controller with a solid state one.

DanF likes this.
  3. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks for the response Stacy, trying to do my due diligence with this purchase and only have to buy once and cry once.

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Some prefer Paragon, others Evenheat. Either way it is a professional grade product.

5. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Dang, I hope my new Paragon 14.5 lasts half as long as RF's!

6. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    I haven't found anything built like it used to be. Unfortunately

DanF and LCoop like this.
  7. DanF

DanF KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2017
    Sadly true.

jll346 likes this.
  8. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    I'm far from professional, but my double barrel has worked great with aebl. So far, that's he only steel I have used in my new excapade.