Partridge knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by arrowhd, Apr 29, 2016.

1. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Last weekend after a morning of unsucessful turkey hunting I decided to stop by a local antique mall. It's a fairly large place with many booths. One can find just about anything in the place from old baseball bats to every type of glass wear known to man. You probably have one in your home town or nearby. I started my usual route around the place and came across a glass display with several traditional knives. One such knife was labeled "Partridge Knife" on the little white tag. I had seen this knife about a month ago at this place and just casually passed it by. I thought to myself probably just cheap junk of some unknown origin. For some reason though it started calling to me as walked by booth after booth of the usual stuff. You know rusty old pliers, mismatched lamps, musty smelling books, etc. So back to the display case with an employee I go to take a closer look. Outcomes what appears to be a much better made knife than I expected. Ebony wood with carbon steel blades. Now you have my attention. Who is the maker? One simple tang stamp on each blade reveils exactly what is stated on the tag. A partridge of some sort. Odd, I think to myself never seen that stamp before. The price is right though and I enjoy fixing up old rusty knives so I'll take it. If I can't locate a wild turkey to shoot at least I won't be coming home witout a bird of some sort. Below are photos of my endeavor after a intense but gentle cleaning and sharpening. My research is pointing towards an SFO involving Queen Cutlery and a Mr. Bob White. Any information regarding this knife would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CVamberbonehead likes this.
  2. VANCE

VANCE Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    thats cool
    nice score

3. Wilsonhome

Wilsonhome Professional Chupacabra Tamer Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2014
    That is a really nice looking knife. Congrats on the find!

4. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Appreciate the comments. It's a great medium sized stockman with pretty decent walk and talk.

5. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
  6. CDS

CDS

Feb 1, 2001
    Cool looking knife. I love the stamp!

7. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the link Will. That's pretty much the only information I could find myself. I wonder how many of these might be out there?

Thanks,
    Keith

8. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    That seems like a great find, Keith! :thumbup:
    I don't know a thing about that particular knife, but I'm kind of drawn to knives that have animals as shields or tang stamps.

- GT

Will Power likes this.
  9. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I agree GT, actually, it would be nice if somebody just started a Show Your Tangs thread as there are interesting symbols and stampings in general.

Regards, Will

10. arrowhd

Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent idea. Done. Now go to the "Show Your Tang" thread I started and show me some of yours.

Will Power likes this.
  11. BobStevens81

BobStevens81

Sep 24, 2020
    Bob was my grand uncle. He made custom knives as well as being an accomplished gunsmith. I can confirm that is his stamp. If you are ever interested in selling it let me know. It’s a great find.

12. Bull71

Bull71

Jul 18, 2018
    I think you are correct, this is a Queen made knife. I believe I have seen a yellow handled stockman and maybe a yellow copperhead with the Bobwhite logo. There were also a couple of bone handled stockman knives made by Frank Buster Cutlery. They were stamped Bob White Cutlery. I think there was only 200 or so of them made. I don’t know how many of these were made by Queen, but you don’t see them often.

13. Cooter Brown

Cooter Brown

May 22, 2011
    Very, very cool!

For what it's worth, in the deep south, particularly in South Carolina, old timers often referred to bobwhite quail as "partridge".