1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them.

3. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

PayPal friends and family

Discussion in 'FEEDBACK: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly!' started by Salo, Aug 11, 2019.

1. onekerf

onekerf Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2008

What other forms of dishonesty have you "no problem" with?

WValtakis likes this.
  2. Vaporstang

Vaporstang Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 8, 2014
    If I understand what's happened, he did not list the knife here.

Darkpast likes this.
  3. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I believe you are correct ... my comment was just pointing out the fact after some mention of not needing Blade Forums ...

Vaporstang likes this.
  4. aVyD

aVyD Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2019
    I’d walk away, brother. It’s better to risk nothing and lose nothing than to risk everything and lose it all. PayPal won’t help you, nor can anyone else.

5. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Asking for payment via F&F for the sale of something, tells you up front, they are a liar and a cheat.

What more do you need?

This isn't rocket science folks. Caveat Emptor.

6. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Likely best for both parties to go their own way, but I don't know if people just can't understand the proper use of PP F&F or don't want to understand. I have to believe it is the latter-this isn't rocket science.

Darkpast likes this.
  7. CataD

CataD Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 2, 2013
    @Salo Thanks for outing a potential scammer. Asking for F&F is shady AF, no matter how many vouches someone has. One can 'invent' tens of people that can 'vouch' for anyone.. this smiler guy is going on ignore and he should be banned on BF, he doesn't care about being here anyways, said so above...

Insipid Moniker, Salo and WValtakis like this.
  8. Salo

Salo

Jun 8, 2013
    I really tried to keep this anonymous. The sale was being discussed via ig and I came here for advice because I’ve used bf for years even tho I don’t come on much anymore. I don’t do many transactions but I thought maybe I was missing something about PayPal. I don’t understand how I could or would scam someone using g&s. Isn’t that how 99% of transactions are done there? Do you need a voucher to buy a knitted sweater off Etsy? Whatever it was my grail knife but I’m not handing over that much cash and trusting I’ll get my knife.

Kiteman72, bonky, tyyreaun and 5 others like this.
  9. OMCHamlin

OMCHamlin

Oct 10, 2000
    Man, reading your posts on this subject, your persona simply reeks of the stench of a con artist, and it's easy to put you on ignore...

Salo, take whatever chances you want, it really sounds like you want this knife in a bad way. I'd say this though, I'd be amazed if you didn't get screwed dealing with this guy.
    I can speak no plainer then that on this topic.
    Good day.

Quiet, bonky and CataD like this.
  10. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    I, for one, am absolutely delighted that you felt the need to come here, comment and out yourself as the seller. That makes it so much easier to add you to my ignore list.

Airborne 1, AntDog, r8shell and 3 others like this.
  11. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    A lot of folks get ripped off via shady IG groups these days. It's an easy venue to build up a presence what with all the "vouches" you can get for free from random strangers with no skin in the game or bots/sock puppet accounts.

You did keep this very vague; but then the guy selling the knife showed up and started complaining. He's not done himself any favors.

Now that we've reached this point. What is the knife in question?

12. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    I really don't think the seller is a scammer. He is just trying to be supper cautious , but in doing so is asking the buyer to give up all rights and recourses and willing to steal from PP. PP F&F is just not the right tool to use to achieve his goal of avoiding being scammed himself-it is a $1200 knife. Something like a bank transfer would be appropriate(or USPS money order in US). Likely still best for the buyer to walk away unless he had confidence in the seller, but at least the right way to do it. Stealing from PP is not the right way .

Darkpast, Vaporstang, bonky and 5 others like this.
  13. Salo

Salo

Jun 8, 2013

I’m superstitious. If I say then everyone will want it.

TenShun705 likes this.
  14. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Well if you say it maybe someone who has one they don't use will chime in.

AntDog, TenShun705, Pete1977 and 3 others like this.
  15. TOMBSTONE

TOMBSTONE

Oct 31, 1998
    I don't know if the seller is a scammer or not. We already know F&F is against PayPal terms of service and offers no protection. The seller may think he is protected but all someone has to do is pay F&F with a credit card and dispute the charge. Now the seller has absolutely no protection or recourse. So he does himself no favors requesting F&F payments. Under no circumstances would I purchase via F&F Holy Grail knife or not. Honestly, wouldn't with G&S at this point because by now I would not trust him at all

Airborne 1 and WValtakis like this.
  16. CataD

CataD Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 2, 2013
    You contradicted yourself, my friend ;)

17. jvan

jvan

Apr 19, 2006
    Anyone who will screw PayPal will do the same to you.

357snubnose, TOMBSTONE and onekerf like this.
  18. Peter Hartwig

Feb 29, 2008
    Not in how I use the terms. I wouldn't refer to the hundreds of members that take F&F as scammers, for whatever reason they don't see it as wrong-I disagree
    but call it what you want. Rather than argue over the term, I will just restate it'
    I believe if paid this seller would send the knife, but it is in the what if's I am not sure.
    What if it got lost or stolen in transit
    What if there was an unseen flaw
    I don't know how he would handle it and using PP F&F he already has one instance of not being honest. Where exactly is the line drawn.
    If I took a USPS money order I would still cover the buyer in all ways except fraud. Would this seller? Even if he did he still shouldn't have used F&F.
    I do however think he would mail the knife. He is a minor rather than a major thief IMO

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Darkpast likes this.
  19. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    This whole thread reeks of the Facebookstagram knife 'culture.'

Rant ON.

... which seems to have high concentrations of A) people crying that the CRK Sebenza they bought off a Shopify e-commerce site in Thailand because of the M390 blade turned out to be fake, B) people crying that they got scammed by somebody whose Facebook profile/Instagram handle is "Deez Salty Nuts" and whose profile picture is of his vaping rig on his bathroom counter, C) people saying they got all of these knives and are just curious what they're worth (as though they are suffering some sudden bout of amnesia about how much they paid for them originally or as though this knife collection just dropped in their lap out of the heavens), hint hint, and if someone wants to PM them that would be A-OK, D) people ranting that they don't see how it's any of Paypal's business whether they use Paypal F&F to buy knives because it's their money, dammit, and Paypal has NO RIGHT TO TELL ME I NEED TO PAY FOR THEIR SERVICES, and E) people talking about buying and selling and flipping literally hundreds of knives in a week who still know absolutely nothing about knives.

I mean. FFS.

Rant OFF.

Quiet, alex, ArchVV and 18 others like this.
  20. tyyreaun

tyyreaun Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Wait, that really happened?

Damn, someone could probably write up a nice thesis on "Darwinian economics" - a fool and his money, and all that ;)

philleee and Triton like this.