1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Spyderco C230GPPBK Lil Native Black Blade & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Nov 16!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Nov 17 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

PGA#1 for 3/11 -- 16.5" AK by Bura

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Bill Martino, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Here's a 16.5 inch, 1.5 pound AK by Bura. If Bura makes it that's really all that we need to say. Good karda and chakma. Good scabbard and frog by village sarki in new style leather.

The only thing wrong with this 10/10 rig is a loose buttcap. The horn handle shrunk a little here in dry Reno. Fix is epoxy or tap the tang and get it peened up tighter.

The loose buttcap saves you fifty bucks. We'll ship this great Bura effort to your door for $75.

Call or email if interested.

Attached Files:

2. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    Gone.

3. firkin

firkin

Jan 26, 2002
    Please, could you describe this process in more detail? I know tapping is to drill or drill/thread a hole, and peening is basically to flatten with a convex hammer. How these two work together to move the butcap further up the tang is unclear to me...

4. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    You need a vice, a rag, and a hammer. Nothing special about any of this stuff. Wrap the blade in the rag and clamp the knife in the vice. Hit the tang with the hammer. You're moving steel so you may have to bust it pretty good. Check the buttcap for movement. When it won't move take the knife out of the vice. You're done.

5. firkin

firkin

Jan 26, 2002
    D'Oh!

OK, that's what they did to get it there in the first place....I got confused by "tap"--thought of drilling instead pounding. Then thought "peened up" was a second pounding step, not the desired result. Sometimes, I gotta be careful not to make things more complicated than they are:)

Stuff like this reminds how hard it must be for people learning English as a second language.

6. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    I guess that's why tech writers are premium people.

7. Bill Martino

Bill Martino

Mar 5, 1999
    GTGC. (Grand Canyon)