1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Photo Pictorial "How I Make a Knife"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Joe McNeely Custom Blades, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Joe McNeely Custom Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 24, 2019
    I created this pictorial on how I make a knife a few years ago and posted it in several groups. I just thought some of the beginning makers would like to see the different ways of making knives. I shape all my blades with files and sandpaper, and finish them by hand. I am anal about a grinder or buffer touching my blades after heat treat. I have worn many hats in my years and one was as a product engineer for Howmet Corp. I learned a lot about alloy steel and also got to know a lot of the engineers at Crucible. (makers of the CPM154 steel I use exclusively, unless a customer absolutely wants something else) Their chemistry for the CPM154 has not changed from the first batch to the last one enough for anyone outside of Crucible to measure I strive for absolute consistency with my blades, as does Crucible with their steel. This is a six part pictorial and there are six zipped files. If anyone is interested contact me, give me your email address and I will be happy to send all six files. They are too large to upload here.

2. Michael.Drinkwine

Michael.Drinkwine KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 17, 2015
    Joe, I've followed your work for years and have always admired your work, especially your curved bolster fitting. I would love to benefit from your insights, thank you for sharing!

3. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Joe McNeely Custom Blades KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 24, 2019
    my email address is: [email protected] If you will send me your email address, I will be happy to send the files to you. I am flattered you have followed me. Thank you

4. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Email me the files and I will post them here for you.

Drew Riley, Bow Commander and Spalted like this.
  5. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Following this with interest.

6. StoneAndSteel

StoneAndSteel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2019
    You do some beautiful work, sir. Email sent

7. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Feb 24, 2019
    Thank you sir. If you don't receive the email soon, let me know. I had three request's at once and am fairly sure I got them all.

8. TDPurcell

TDPurcell KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 8, 2011
    Thanks Joe. I appreciate the files.

9. Maelstrom78

Maelstrom78

Sep 21, 2013
    I would like to see them as well. Sending to Stacy so he can post him if you would like would make it easier for people and then you would not have to do it individually.

Thanks for sharing!

10. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Sent you a message.

Seeing how makers work is always helpful.

11. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Feb 24, 2019
    My pleasure
    Thank you

12. Howard1

Howard1

Jan 16, 2017
    If you could include me in the mailing I would greatly appreciate it. I have sent you an e-mail

13. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Feb 24, 2019
    I always learn something from everyone. The day I quit learning is the day I need to retire.
    Done, I hope you get some use from them.

14. robwil

robwil

Aug 18, 2007
    Joe, I would very much appreciate receiving your photos as well. Bob Wilson [email protected]

15. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Feb 24, 2019
    Hello Bob. The files have been sent. Let me know if I can be of any help.

16. golfer1

golfer1

Nov 24, 2016
    I am certain there is much to be learned by your offering. If you would include me, I would be most grateful. [email protected]

17. Joe McNeely Custom Blades

Feb 24, 2019
    They are on the way

18. KOTJMF

KOTJMF

May 4, 2011
    Joe, I'll take any opportunity I can to learn from an experienced maker. Would love a copy of your photos to [email protected]. Thanks!

19. Bltien

Bltien

Feb 1, 2017
  20. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    I'm always interested in seeing other maker's methods, tools, and techniques, so I'd like to take a look :thumbsup:

[email protected]

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)